Toronto The Hive: Lofts on The Queensway | 21.03m | 6s | Symmetry | Teeple Architects

Last weekend The Hive opened to brokers, and we hear that 40% of the building is now sold. This weekend is the public opening for Hive, and we are hoping that a high percentage of the remaining units will sell too: we want this little beauty to go ahead. When someone proposes an - ahem - groundbreaking building, a modern stunner which could become a touchstone for the redevelopment of Toronto's avenues, and when the builder in fact has the nerve to launch it far beyond where hipsters normally fear to tread, well, we are chomping at the bit to hear that the building is a "go". We would love to see The Hive prove that there is a market for this bold architectural step forward for Toronto.

If you stop in at the sales office at 935 The Queensway between noon and 5 pm on Saturday or Sunday, you'll see a Kitchen and a Bathroom vignette set up alongside plans for the 20 suites.

HiveSalesCentre.jpg

for some reason I am absolutely facinated with The Hive. Aside from the bold move with the architecture, I love the floorplans of the units. I've seen a lot of units and many don't "make sense". This development looks like a winner to me..

no joke : Glad you like the design. The parking is at grade within the garage via stackers

UrbanPrincess: Thank you for the kind words! We worked extremely hard on to come up with efficient, thoughtful floorplans. It isn't enough to have a bold, architecturally compelling exterior...the interiors have to be follow suit.

This is great to see. X1000 please!

Though I'm not convinced the Queensway is going to be where gentrification happens in south Etobicoke. I always thought the stretch along Lakeshore doesn't get its due--decent housing stock, a streetcar line, and already a fun mix of businesses. And right on the lake! Underrated in my opinion, though maybe folks living closer can tell me if that's already begun to change.

is this project too rich for my blood ?? that is my question lol....
does anyone know the starting prices + including the 2 bedroom model ??? please and thank you

ooops.... nevermind i just read post # 4 = mid 240's , seems pricey for 1 bedroom 505 sq/ft in that area ???

Last edited:
slickpete: The 545 sq.ft unit (plus a 72 sq.ft balcony) starts at $250,000. That's $458/sq.ft. The finishes are comparable (if not superior) to any pre-con development downtown, the architecture is utterly unique and there are just 20 units in the building. Comparable lofts in the core would be $600-650 psf. The standard finishes here are upgrades in every other condo in the area.

Cheers.

Any updates on this interesting project?

We've been ready to go for the longest time but the permit approvals process has been epic.
If it wasn't for an exceptionally supportive Councilor in Peter Milczyn, we'd still be waiting to pull permits.
As it happens, we have our below grade permits in hand and are mobilising for construction start.
Should commence shortly.

Very keen to get going on this one!

Great to hear - as a local I am looking forward to Hive quite a bit! It should do wonders for The Queensway.

What a great project! I'm unfamiliar with the area and have no idea if it will "work" with the strip. But it has to be seen as a positive step if it in the least it sparks dialogue about design and renewal in post-war commercial strips.

Pouring footings on a slushy Monday.
Footings%20pour%20Feb%2011-13.JPG

Attachments

• Footings pour Feb 11-13.jpg
    Footings pour Feb 11-13.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

Back