Toronto The Globe and Mail Centre | 83.21m | 17s | First Gulf | Diamond Schmitt

Maybe the Toronto Star will reconsider moving here someday? (Although I foresee the day they merge completely with the G&M.)
Considering King Street was sort of Toronto's version of Fleet Street, you may be on to something! I can't see the Post moving (again!) anytime soon though once they are in their new Bloor Street digs. All major dailies will be east of Yonge though (albeit barely in the Star's case).

The extension of commercial developments outwards along the King/Queen corridor will have serious implications for mass transit in the longer term.
AoD
As always... DRL!

it would be funny if the subway subway subway folks (mostly at Sun with some flipfloppers at G/M) had a long schlep to the nearest DRL station when the 504 dropped them to the front door, and would do so faster if the City put more effort into dealing with parking/stopping on streets like King in the core.

it would be funny if the subway subway subway folks (mostly at Sun with some flipfloppers at G/M) had a long schlep to the nearest DRL station when the 504 dropped them to the front door, and would do so faster if the City put more effort into dealing with parking/stopping on streets like King in the core.
They would need to actually get onto a 504 streetcar first! It is already a VERY crowded and unreliable service and adding more users will probably not mean adding more (or more regular) service. As Steve Munro has repeatedly shown, traffic and parked cars are certainly a problem but the real problem is very very poor - or non-existent - line management.

The 504 has room on this side of town.
Clearly you have never tried to catch it at Sherbourne or Jarvis, esp. in the am rush or at Yonge going east when so many cars are turned at Church. (Before those in Liberty Village say 'it's worse here' I don't know which end of the line is worse but it is NOT good anywhere and worse than it was 12 years ago when I first started to use it.)

Last edited:
The 504 has room on this side of town.

Ha ...

+1 to the post below yours.

But I blame the TTC and its crappy route management vs the # of available street cars ... anyway in rush hour, the bunching that takes place on king east makes it terrible.

I've had time to work with some high-res images now, so the dataBase file now has more views, and several detail shots. Give it a look again (or for the first time!)

it's been a while (maybe 9-12 months) since I got a 504 eastbound at PM peak, before that it would have been much more frequent, but my experience would have tallied with maestro about it emptying out as it approached Parliament. Problem is it might get short-turned there or at Broadview-Gerrard, as DSC alludes to. :(

it's been a while (maybe 9-12 months) since I got a 504 eastbound at PM peak, before that it would have been much more frequent, but my experience would have tallied with maestro about it emptying out as it approached Parliament. Problem is it might get short-turned there or at Broadview-Gerrard, as DSC alludes to. :(

Yes but this is before Parliament ... and that's the worst part / where most of the business are located on this stretch.

traffic in general empties out as you move east. Adelaide moves extremely slowly until you reach jarvis, and it picks up after that. I imagine the 504 is similar.

A DRL along King could have a station as little as a block away at Parliament (3 blocks tops if it goes along Queen). Hardly a long schlep. This building makes the case for a DRL even stronger. Mind you it also makes the case stonger for a King transit mall.

Sept 14,
9792187305_26f786fe49_b.jpg

9792109375_f6dc3702b2_b.jpg

9792104945_3d330c49cc_b.jpg

Further to the archaeological excavation of Berkeley House:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...scandal-under-new-globe-home/article14719339/

berkeleyhouse1885.jpg

http://www.virtualreferencelibrary....-2658&R=DC-PICTURES-R-2658&searchPageType=vrl

Attachments

• berkeleyhouse1885.jpg
    berkeleyhouse1885.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:

Back