Toronto The Carlaw | ?m | 12s | Streetcar | TACT Architecture

Welcome back, BeeRich! You might want to tone down the sarcasm if you want anyone to line up on your side of this discussion. Just sayin'...

BMyers -- there's a 'yeah, but...' comparison between Filmic and Boston, though, and that's the trees on Boston, which shelter Boston from the construction on Carlaw. It's Filmic's backyard, versus Boston's streetscape.

The next three sites to be considered for development along this stretch now that The Carlaw is going in, will be along Dundas -- the parking lot on the NW corner (past CN's triangle), the parking lot east of Flatiron, and the white cinder block one story on the north side of Dundas, east of The Carlaw. If all of those go twelve stories as well, is that too much massing? Do you allow 10-12 on Carlaw, but 4-8 on Dundas?

My take on Streetcar is that they've put out something as big as they can, assuming they'll get cut back. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

I've mentioned the same thing several times, yet nobody wants to actually read it. So, there is no point anyway. BTW, Filmic Lane is East of Boston. Boston Ave continues one block North of Dundas. And what's so special about 12 floors? Like I keep asking, if "5 meters", regardless of how many floors that means, can go to 12 floors, why not 40? Why not higher? That's not sarcasm.

What's on the site today is 3 storeys, but its not a 'limit' because its not limited to 3 storeys under the as of right zoning - you could build something up to 18 metres high without any need for an amendment. What I said was in response to you saying it was 'regulated' at 3 floors, which just isn't true.

I recognize that they're across the street from one another and that yes that makes them on different blocks. I don't think a map is necessary, but thank you for the offer.

Flatiron is 11 storeys, you can find the by-law on the city website which, again iirc, permits a building of 35-40 metres (most by-laws don't directly limit floors, just the absolute height of the building but you can look at the staff reports to get a sense of how many floors that amounts to).

I haven't ignored you on this point. I just think we might be talking about different issues. Your saying that Work Lofts (and I assume Flatiron) should never have been approved in the first place. I respectfully disagree, but thats not the point. The point is, given that they've already been approved (and that this can't be undone), what is the fair way to treat landowners who make an application to the City in a similar situation? Its a question of fairness going forward, not if what was done in the past was fair or appropriate.

I completely agree that this is not the Port Lands or City Place and that there is a need to be sensitive to nearby residential neighbourhoods. There are City policies that support this notion as well.

That said, in my opinion, some amount of intensification is appropriate and ultimately good for the area. That's why I think anything beyond a mid-rise building (say 15-16 storeys max) would be too tall for the site since beyond this point it's you'd likely run into a number of built form issues such as shadowing of the nearby houses, sidewalks etc. However, I recognize and respect that you have a different opinion on what's appropriate.

The way I see it, yes it is true. The previous owners applied for a height increase, which they didn't get. They wouldn't be destroying a building that's 3 floors to put up another building that's 5 floors of the same height.

Both the Worklofts and Flatiron plans were revised.

See, you keep on bringing up the building situation. You must be in real-estate, because you're only concerned about applications, not what's currently there. You keep on missing the fact that there's people living right beside this property. Nobody cares about the development except the developers and their salesmen. They build, sell, and run, regardless what it means to the area. That part of the equation, as you put it, is completely ignored. It isn't about comparison of new buildings on other blocks that don't have those restrictions.

I don't think many people have taken the time to investigate how close these houses are.

If you don't like how close the development on Carlaw is to houses that are nearby, move to Oshawa. You won't experience a redevelopment of this magnitude anytime soon.

If you don't like how close the development on Carlaw is to houses that are nearby, move to Oshawa.

Exactly, if you don't like something happening in your backyard, you should keep your mouth shut and move to another city. :rolleyes:

If you don't like Toronto being the City that it is, then you can move. Leslieville isn't downtown. You missed that part. Were you born on a farm? Learn how a city works before making stupid comments like that.

If you can't read, then get your ass through high-school first. Go away. If you don't like what's being posted here, then go back to farmville.

For those that are new to the City (and most demonstrate that in this thread), you don't build a city by running around looking for old real estate, knocking it down and shoving in tall buildings with 500 square foot condos. If you want evidence of how ugly that is, just look at Liberty Village, Sheppard & Yonge, City Place, or the Waterfront. Yes, big lights and tall buildings amaze simple minds, we all know that it's a fetish for people that think they're on Broadway. It's pathetic. It's tasteless. It's quite sad. They've ruined the Distillery district with those ugly condos, and they continue to shove buildings in while they rip down historical buildings. Because Toronto needs more condos, right? As much as we need a shopping mall in the Port Lands. It all smells too much like "The Etobicoke Wonderland".

If you don't like what Toronto is, then go back to your strip malls. Leave your "exciting lifestyle living" out of it. Leslieville has already attracted enough without you trying to shoehorn more loft boxes in. Riverside turned down Brad Lamb's project, but I guess that street, 5 blocks away, is so different?

After those last two comments, you wonder why I'm sarcastic. LOL.

For those that are new to the City (and most demonstrate that in this thread), you don't build a city by running around looking for old real estate, knocking it down and shoving in tall buildings with 500 square foot condos. If you want evidence of how ugly that is, just look at Liberty Village, Sheppard & Yonge, City Place, or the Waterfront. Yes, big lights and tall buildings amaze simple minds, we all know that it's a fetish for people that think they're on Broadway. It's pathetic. It's tasteless. It's quite sad.

If you don't like what Toronto is, then go back to your strip malls. Leave your "exciting lifestyle living" out of it. Leslieville has already attracted enough without you trying to shoehorn more loft boxes in. Riverside turned down Brad Lamb's project, but I guess that street, 5 blocks away, is so different?

However...On a main arterial street, which Carlaw is, you should increase density. I'm not advocating putting condos on Boston, or Colgate, or Logan. I grew up in this neighbourhood and watched as it grew from "Skid row" into the niche neighbourhood that you moved to. I would like to see this continue on main streets and the Official Plan calls for density on the exact same streets that you are complaining about.

I know more about how the city works than you think.

For those that are new to the City (and most demonstrate that in this thread), you don't build a city by running around looking for old real estate, knocking it down and shoving in tall buildings with 500 square foot condos. If you want evidence of how ugly that is, just look at Liberty Village, Sheppard & Yonge, City Place, or the Waterfront. Yes, big lights and tall buildings amaze simple minds, we all know that it's a fetish for people that think they're on Broadway. It's pathetic. It's tasteless. It's quite sad. They've ruined the Distillery district with those ugly condos, and they continue to shove buildings in while they rip down historical buildings. Because Toronto needs more condos, right? As much as we need a shopping mall in the Port Lands. It all smells too much like "The Etobicoke Wonderland".

Jeezus woman, you need to get out more. And, quite frankly, the posters suggesting a move might be right -- I'll bet you could sell your place at a pretty premium and buy one just a little more East Yorkish at a lower price, still on transit.

And -- to your point about the Riverside debacle -- Lamb caved/got pissed off (don't know which) and is now going to build the most gawd awful set of faux Victorian walkups I've seen in a long time. Ugly as sin.

Contrasting what Lamb wanted to build, or WorkLofts as built, to the Riverside Towns in a positive manner is not possible.

BTW -- I'm going to count the floors at WorkLofts on the way home. I'm pretty certain it's more than 8 floors, but we'll see.

Jeezus woman, you need to get out more. And, quite frankly, the posters suggesting a move might be right -- I'll bet you could sell your place at a pretty premium and buy one just a little more East Yorkish at a lower price, still on transit.

And -- to your point about the Riverside debacle -- Lamb caved/got pissed off (don't know which) and is now going to build the most gawd awful set of faux Victorian walkups I've seen in a long time. Ugly as sin.

Contrasting what Lamb wanted to build, or WorkLofts as built, to the Riverside Towns in a positive manner is not possible.

BTW -- I'm going to count the floors at WorkLofts on the way home. I'm pretty certain it's more than 8 floors, but we'll see.

Man it's funny you say this....cuz I felt the same way. Lamb was going to build a beautiful loft over there....but people cried and he ended up building some ugly towns to make them happy. So frigging backwards...those ugly towns will do NOWHERE near as much for the area than Leslieville lofts could have.

Wow

My brother lives very very close to this development, and he's fine with it. So you don't speak for all of the neighbours, BeeRich!

Appears to be an alarming rise in NIMBY-ism on the boards recently.

Two years later, and I still weep for the loss of Lamb's Leslieville Lofts. Those faux-Vics (if ever built) are going to look horrendous. Missed opportunity to give that crummy stretch of Broadview a facelift.

So if we don't build a city by redeveloping underdeveloped parts of the city, how do we build it? By creating more and more suburbs?

Back