Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

I live at 18 Harbour, and I've always felt that the real barrier has been the very empty, and abandoned space all around. Over time things have built up. Removing the dead space has increased the feeling of attachment to the city. Southcore has/will become the gateway between CBD and Harbourfront. When the 45 Bay and the torStar parking lots get developed the gateway will be complete.

Yeah, Dont forget there was also talk a while ago of developing a tower over-top of the Westin Harbour Castle Convention Centre.

There does seem to be a remarkable similarity in general size and shape between all the south core office towers:

31s 157m -- 16 York Office tower
31s ~140m -- 90 Harbour Office tower
30s 140m -- Waterpark Place 3
30s 136m -- Telus House
30s 136m -- Southcore Bremner tower
26s 114m -- Southcore Financial Centre 1 (PWHC)

Since all these buildings are about the same size, I have to think that there are economic reasons for this -- I assume land costs versus the expense of going taller versus expected market conditions when they are to be completed. But still, that's a whole lot of glass bricks under construction or proposed.

If any of these developers had the gonads to build 60 or more floors, there would be one less building - but alas, no gonads.

Well here is what we have been waiting for.:cool::cool:

90 HARBOUR ST

OPA / Rezoning 11 295626 STE 28 OZ Ward 28
- Tor & E.York Oct 19, 2011 --- --- --- ---

PROPERTY KNOWN AS BOTH 90 Harbour and 1 York St. OPA and Rezoning application for new mixed use development - 3 buildings - with common poidium ranging from 4 to 9 stories. 1 office building and 2 residential buildings Office building - 31 stories. 2 residential buildings - 70 stories - 1426 dwelling units. Shared parking with office and residential tower - 4 levels below grade - 791 parking spaces - (residential parkings spaces 411 - Commercial spaces - 380). 1300 bicycle parking spaces.

AG, I'm blown away by how often you come up with the best news. Thanks.

If any of these developers had the gonads to build 60 or more floors, there would be one less building - but alas, no gonads.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens at 45 Bay. Although the 47 story version will probably not happen, I expect that something tall will be eventually built there, maybe something like 60 storeys.

Soon it will be so dense down there you won't even notice the "barrier" Gardiner Expressway.

(I've always thought the real barrier was the tracks anyway)

I agree with you 100%. You can walk under the gardiner but the tracks completely block your way - and they eat up such a huge portion of valuable real estate.

I don't understand why someone hasn't proposed building over them.

I agree with you 100%. You can walk under the gardiner but the tracks completely block your way - and they eat up such a huge portion of valuable real estate.

I don't understand why someone hasn't proposed building over them.

It's difficult with the tracks because they go from below the street level at Bathurst/Spadina to above it at York/Bay/Yonge. I always liked the idea of building a sort of roof over it where it's lower, and having a park or something there. That's not very realistic though and still no idea what to do about the park above street level. It's expensive to bury the entire thing and then there's the whole fumes issue.

Well, the tapemeasure in Sketchup reads 250 and 145m from base to crown for the towers. So, they're "accurate".
I should add: the towers have been measured from the fictional podium roof. If that was removed, they would instantly be shortened by almost one hundred feet. The specs on the city form don't make it clear whether they are being measured from the ground or from the top of the podium. So - they could theoretically also lose ten depicted storeys in height. Remove my mechanical translucent tops, and you could lop off up to one hundred and thirty feet.

The models surrounding it may not be perfect (The Ritz-Carlton, for example is short). Perspectival bias may make them look bigger or smaller than they might, respectively, depending on the angle.

I guess you could say - "it's not inaccurate" - for the simulation programs. Though whether that's the quite same thing as real life is another guess.

Last edited:
Im confused.... Isnt the 3 tower proposal going on 90 Harbour (as by Auto's Post) and then another tower at 30 Harbour around the Commision building (as by Michael's Post)????.... because neither post really mentions the other. 2 separate projects goin on here.

Last edited:
yorkbayharbour1.jpg

Something doesn't look right with this image. Is the building under that red line suppose to be Toronto Harbour Commission building? If it is, you've made the buildings too wide. The 3 buildings should cover the area before the THC building I think because the land belongs to the TPA still. 90 Harbour is where the demolished building is located.

You know, you're right! Ack!
I was thinking of the earlier post about the Harbour Commission planning to build its office tower, and I just kinda put the two proposals together in my head. So - I'm redoing the render. Sorry about any confusion.

Last edited:
You know, you're right! Ack!
I was thinking of the earlier post about the Harbour Commission planning to build its office tower, and I just kinda put the two proposals together in my head. So - I'm redoing the render. Sorry about any confusion.

No problem kiddo, we wait with baited breathe.

Back