Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Well here is what we have been waiting for.:cool::cool:

90 HARBOUR ST

OPA / Rezoning 11 295626 STE 28 OZ Ward 28
- Tor & E.York Oct 19, 2011 --- --- --- ---

PROPERTY KNOWN AS BOTH 90 Harbour and 1 York St. OPA and Rezoning application for new mixed use development - 3 buildings - with common poidium ranging from 4 to 9 stories. 1 office building and 2 residential buildings Office building - 31 stories. 2 residential buildings - 70 stories - 1426 dwelling units. Shared parking with office and residential tower - 4 levels below grade - 791 parking spaces - (residential parkings spaces 411 - Commercial spaces - 380). 1300 bicycle parking spaces.

Well here is what we have been waiting for.:cool::cool:

90 HARBOUR ST

OPA / Rezoning 11 295626 STE 28 OZ Ward 28
- Tor & E.York Oct 19, 2011 --- --- --- ---

PROPERTY KNOWN AS BOTH 90 Harbour and 1 York St. OPA and Rezoning application for new mixed use development - 3 buildings - with common poidium ranging from 4 to 9 stories. 1 office building and 2 residential buildings Office building - 31 stories. 2 residential buildings - 70 stories - 1426 dwelling units. Shared parking with office and residential tower - 4 levels below grade - 791 parking spaces - (residential parkings spaces 411 - Commercial spaces - 380). 1300 bicycle parking spaces.

1426 dwelling units....with 2 residential buildings....so is that 2 70 storey residential towers?

... 3 buildings, one an office building, two 70s condo towers. Let's hope for a starchitect this time. Better still, now that we know the details, I await CanadianNational's renders :)

The downtown core south of the Gardiner may eventually be as densely built as the CBD centred at King/Bay.

Could one of the reasons for podiums be that, they are the best solution, along with above ground parking, in elevating residential units far enough above the Gardinar to make them salable.

My best guess: the two 70-story residential towers will be ~230m each, the 31-story office tower will be ~140m. These are conservative estimates; they should be at least this tall, but quite possibly even taller.

Last edited:
65s Ice tower is 234.4m. So my guess is Residential towers 245m - 250m, office tower 140m - 145m.

Soon it will be so dense down there you won't even notice the "barrier" Gardiner Expressway.

(I've always thought the real barrier was the tracks anyway)

There does seem to be a remarkable similarity in general size and shape between all the south core office towers:

31s 157m -- 16 York office tower
31s ~140m -- 90 Harbour office tower
30s 140m -- Waterpark Place 3
30s 136m -- Telus House
30s 136m -- Southcore Bremner tower
26s 114m -- Southcore Financial Centre 1 (PWHC)

Since all these buildings are about the same size, I have to think that there are economic reasons for this -- I assume land costs versus the expense of going taller versus expected market conditions when they are to be completed. But still, that's a whole lot of glass bricks under construction or proposed.

Last edited:
I live at 18 Harbour, and I've always felt that the real barrier has been the very empty, and abandoned space all around. Over time things have built up. Removing the dead space has increased the feeling of attachment to the city. Southcore has/will become the gateway between CBD and Harbourfront. When the 45 Bay and the torStar parking lots get developed the gateway will be complete.

Back