Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

So I wonder what becomes of the Harbour Commission Building sitting to it's east? Trash that too?

Well, there are certainly people here who would prefer it be demolished rather than be moved to the waterfront, where it was intended to be. They will utter some drivel about "respecting the history", as if relocating the building somehow negates all its historical value.

I, on the other hand, would be pleased to see it moved south of Queens Quay, next to the water.

Indeed, losing 90 Harbour is another stab in the heart. On the Harbour Commission Building, perhaps it could be built around or most certainly rolled over to Bay Street. Moving it to Bay Street is not ideal but it would be close to it's original position and it saves the building.

Well, it`s an ugly building... As long as the replacement is a stunner, worthwhile.

You think it's ugly? Really? Wow. I think it's beautiful.

The replacement wont be a stunner. I promise you that. Lol.

If they tear down the other one — one of my favourite buildings in the city (even though harbour is spelled the U.S. way on it) — I'll revolt.

Disappointing. I think that centre part would make an amazing entrance into an office building or condo. With room for lots of amenities.

Sometimes I think Toronto is downright phobic about it's past. It certainly is careless, or ruthless.

This building and the Harbour Commission next door work well together in scale, texture, and their genuine link to the past of the waterfront. For me, they're like an unsassuming, kindly old couple, surrounded by all these brash youngsters.
Of course Toronto is going to look for 'maximum value on the land', meaning coldly monetary rather than emotional or historical.
I don't see why there couldn't be a slight height/zoning shuffle to allow the building to remain as the spaces around it are updated.

The sign of the times....goodbye sweet pea.:)

harbourstreet90.jpg

That bulky and poorly placed off ramp is such a scar on that view.

I'd sort of lost track of this thread so you can imagine how infuriated I was to drop in and find out what's going on here. The loss of this building is so unbelieveably short-sighted, and it proves yet again just how ignorant, shallow and opportunistic development has become in Toronto... which to be fair is really just a reflection of the collective values here. Who cares though right? I mean, we have no history in this city anyway and I'm sure the glassy square box that will go up here will be just as urban and just as engaging...

Fasten your seatbelts folks, we're probably going to see a lot more of this under Lord Ford.

How about an 80 storey, 1200' extension version of what is there now? Or a modern version of it at least. Mind the poor rendering. In all seriousness, the city really needs to try and save buildings like this one, regardless of what the value of the land may be. Message to the planning dept. Grow some!!

Attachments

• harbourstreet90.jpg
    harbourstreet90.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
They should at least use the entire facade as the base of a tower...
I know facadism is way overdone in Toronto, and done poorly quite a bit, but it's better than losing this building altogether.
Sometimes I think Toronto is trying to get rid of all it's history and brick buildings.

Look at the track record here though. This is a city that levelled acre upon acre of 'old' Toronto for parking, and not all that long ago really.

Just goofing around thinking what I'd like to see in the area.

1) A tree lined pedestrian mall from the ACC to Queen's Quay. Reflective pools, patios, fountains.
2) City of Toronto Museum. Iconic design that incorporates the Harbour commission building. Which would have the water front brought to it, rather than moving it to the waterfront.
3) Renovate and reuse 90 harbour.
4) Building mixed use highrise closer to York St.

Attachments

• harbour.jpg
    harbour.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 287

Back