Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

its a preliminary render of the project

So is this what was proposed before the towers were reduced to 62 and 66 floors in height OR is the plan now to build twin towers of over 70 storeys (as these appear to be) and this is a preliminary render?

Information + videos can be found on the arcestra website: http://arcestra.com/view/134/1-york-st
Apple is mentioned as one of the companies that has chosen southcore for its office location. Has any of you guys heard about apple moving in on the buildings south of the tracks?
Also in the 3D animation, the ramp to Bay is gone. I thought only the circular ramp to York was going to be torn down

Information + videos can be found on the arcestra website: http://arcestra.com/view/134/1-york-st
Apple is mentioned as one of the companies that has chosen southcore for its office location. Has any of you guys heard about apple moving in on the buildings south of the tracks?
Also in the 3D animation, the ramp to Bay is gone. I thought only the circular ramp to York was going to be torn down

My understanding is that the ramp to Bay, will become, in effect, the ramp to Simcoe. That is to say the same off-ramp location will now have one termination point, Harbour st @ Simcoe.

Hopefully it's not another Apple retail location. I wonder which teams they will put here, maybe mobile advertising. So far they haven't made any announcement of setting up shop in Canada.. fun to think about but you gotta take that info with a grain of salt.

FYI, apple's current Canadian HQ is in Markham (7495 Birchmount Road) ... no development, this is the corporate HQ.

I was looking at apple Canada's job posting, and didn't see anything too interesting until this:

The Executive Briefing Program (EBP) is a well-established sales support program with facilities in key cities across the US - Cupertino, Chicago, NYC and Reston and other parts of the world. In April 2013, Apple will be opening a new centre in Toronto.

That could be it ... but that'd likely imply we're talking about very little space.

I'd love to see them move their HQ or open up a software lab.

Thanks for the link. The video at the bottom is great. At the 1:20 mark in the 3D animation video, you really get a sense of just how dense this area will feel once fully built out.

And the render is missing 10 York as well. Interesting about how it mentions a branding opportunity on the west side of the building, which will just be blocked by 10 York.

from today
DSCF8498-2.jpg

According to the hoarding, the office tenant for the building is HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan).

yep, that is the small one that is taking up 100,000 ish square feet, just 1/8th of the space. this building is largely speculative.

I can't believe how this area is getting built up. After thirty-ish years or more of seeing it largely dormant or unchanged, suddenly - bam! - all this change. It's really is something else to be in Toronto right now.

Now, onto the the small stuff: I really wish that with the possibility of the long Harbour Street ramp coming down, room had been made for a pleasant ground-level pedestrian walk from about the centre of the Harbour condo parking garage, right up along the back of Waterpark place, across Harbour and right through to the ACC plaza. It's all in near-perfect alignment as a straight line, and it looks like the opportunity to break up those superblocks a bit and make it all more pleasant to navigate has been squandered. It would have helped the area a lot.

aerial2_zps558cb8f3.jpg

Last edited:

Back