Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Yesterday IKEA announced that it would double its number of Canadian stores over the next ten years, and also introduce new formats (read: urban). They didn't say where any of those new stores would be… but if they are adding new format stores and doubling their store count, this would not be the worst location for them to include in that expansion.

Ikea just opened their first urban store in Hamburg a year ago. I assume they would want to experiment more in Europe before expanding this model to the rest of the world. The biggest problem is getting stuff out of the store. How do you pick it up? Carry it home? Is a 2nd floor retail location ideal for that? Does it have the right elevators and escalators? (probably not)

Ikea most of the time also owns their own land, not leasing. Its their business model and will be hard to change.

An Ikea is also normally 300,000 sq ft + (while a large Target was 150,000 sq ft). However I understand they want to explore smaller stores.

Ikea needs about 1.5 to 2M people per full store. London, Windsor and St Catharines only get a pick-up store only. Noticeably off this list was KW. Add Guelph and it's almost the right size for a store. (and Burlington is too far away).

I would say the east end needs one but they just opened up a pick-up location in Whitby.

They could rent carts for $10 a pop and you could wheel your stuff home. Or you could take it back in a van taxi. It's not that difficult.

The glare coming off this building when you're on the eastbound gardiner in the afternoon is horrible. Everytime it hits the driver in front of me brakes because they get blinded.

With Target having been the planned big box store in here, there has got to be something in place in the garage area for ease of getting stuff to your car, and sizeable loading bays for trucks for the retail.

people should probably wear sunglasses while driving on a regular basis. Just a thought.

As someone who regularly takes Ikea trips via ttc across the city, this seems much more ideal. Not everything needs to cater to the motor vehicle. It is potentially an urban Ikea... I think the people who could use this location would not be phased.

COMMITTEE OF ADJUSTMENT AGENDA TORONTO EAST YORK PANEL
Hearing Date: November 18, 2015 Time: 9:30 a.m.
Location: Committee Room 2 - Toronto City Hall - 100 Queen Street West

88 & 100 HARBOUR ST (90 HARBOUR ST) File Number: A0891/15TEY Zoning CR T6.0 C6.0 R0 & Site Specific By-law 1649-2012 (Waiver) Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale (28) Heritage: Not Applicable Property Address: 88 & 100 HARBOUR ST (90 HARBOUR ST) Community: Toronto Legal Description:

PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION: To alter the existing development plan approved under Site Specific By-law 1649-2012 by increasing the building height one-storey on each residential tower (Tower 2 and Tower 3) and adding a total of eight additional dwelling units.

REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW: 1. Section 8, Site Specific By-law 1649-2012 The maximum number of dwelling units erected or used on the site shall not exceed 1305. In this case, there will be 1313 dwelling units on-site. 2. Section 12, Site Specific By-law 1649-2012 The maximum permitted height of each portion of a building or structure erected above grade within the site, shall in respect of each building envelope area, have a maximum height in metres as shown following the symbol H on Map 2 (Tower 2-224.0 m and Tower 3-233.0 m) for the corresponding building envelope area. In this case, the height of Tower 2 will be 227.97 m and Tower 3 will be 236.67 m, as shown on the Revised Map 2 (attached).
http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toro.../pdf/C/C_of_A_TEY_Agenda_November_18_2015.pdf

The condos going up around here, especially given the presumed demographic filling them, would make the Ikea gangbusters. Not to mention, I wouldn't mind dropping in for some dirt cheap breakfast once in a while.

people should probably wear sunglasses while driving on a regular basis. Just a thought.

As someone who regularly takes Ikea trips via ttc across the city, this seems much more ideal. Not everything needs to cater to the motor vehicle. It is potentially an urban Ikea... I think the people who could use this location would not be phased.

The reason it's bad is because it reflects the sun from behind you. So you're not expecting it because you're not driving into the sun. People that don't drive the route regularly don't know it's coming and it hits you all at once, then it's gone in about 5 seconds.

The reason it's bad is because it reflects the sun from behind you. So you're not expecting it because you're not driving into the sun. People that don't drive the route regularly don't know it's coming and it hits you all at once, then it's gone in about 5 seconds.
It'll also be blocked by Ten York soon enough.

This morning:

IMG_9447.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9447.jpg
    IMG_9447.jpg
    745.9 KB · Views: 2,184

Back