Toronto Stanley Condominiums | 138.37m | 41s | Tribute | Core Architects

I definitely agree. Trump Chicago is a near perfect building imo. One of the better supertalls built in the decade. There's nothing like it in Toronto, and there likely never will be. As for Trump Toronto, I'd hardly call it an embarrassment to the city

really excited about this development. I've always found the stretch of College/Carlton from Bay to Yonge has a mini-Manhattan feel to it, aside from the fact that the canyon is so short lived. This tower will have a great impact when viewed on the south side of carlton from yonge with MLG in the foreground.
As per the design, it's fairly attractive what they did with the wrap around balconies rather than a straight box.
Hopefully the south/east corner of Church/Carlton gets developed too. I want to see the carlton canyon extended!

I'm a bit confused. What, exactly, is it about the stretch of College from Bay to Yonge has a mini-Manhattan feel to it?

^I can see Steve's point. Stand on the south side of Carlton just east of Yonge, where the street makes a diagonal bend towards Yonge. Look west. The vista, which includes the high Victorian, 19th century block at the corner, Burano/Murano, that early 90s condo tower on Grenville, the PoMo dome of the Metro Police HQ and the early modernist office block on the corner of Yonge and Carlton is visually exciting, layered and, for lack of a better term, Manhattanesque.

Prelim report: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.TE24.40

Two retail: One retail entrance on Church, and one on Carlton. I'm not sure what's going to rent out the massive space on the Carlton side. Yet another development that seems not pedestrian friendly or allows for more retail variety. To be fair, I suppose most of the stretch of retail along here is pretty wide so it is contextual.

Last edited:
a_zps1e310528.jpg

b-1_zpsc553f239.jpg

c_zps55380cdd.jpg

d_zpsa9ea127e.jpg

e_zpsfac87182.jpg

Last edited:
I hate the retail podium on this building. It's basically just a glass wall, with not even the smallest attempt to make it animated, interesting or stylish. If this was the only development like this in the city, it wouldn't be an issue but the fact is most developers are doing the same thing. Our streets are becoming littered with unadorned, glass walls that leave me feeling cold and uninterested in what's inside. Why is it, this city has forgotten how to build decent retail along our main streets? We need to put a stop to this cheap-out before this city becomes a terrible place to shop or even walk in. I'd take the rundown, decaying , yet charming stores in Kensington, over this drek, any day. Seriously, this needs to stop.

Last edited:
Hah! I was right...they DO want to eventually have a phase 2 in teh parking lot to the north, as evidenced by the proposed future floor plate for a second phase.

Our streets are becoming littered with unadorned, glass walls that leave me feeling cold and uninterested in what's inside. Why is it, this city has forgotten how to build decent retail along our main streets?

I think you're exaggerating a bit, but I don't completely disagree on the overuse of glass walls in our downtown retailers. What I want to point out is that even with the overuse of glass, our retail has (for the most part) gotten significantly better. Go look at Yonge Street (S of Bloor); is that really better than the retail in most new condos? Also, don't forget that while the glass itself is soulless and sterile, retailers setting up shop will change that when they add their finishing touches.

Last edited:
I think you're exaggerating a bit, but I don't completely disagree on the overuse of glass walls in our downtown retailers. What I want to point out is that even with the overuse of glass, our retail has (for the most part) gotten significantly better. Go look at Yonge Street (S of Bloor); is that really better than the retail in most new condos? Also, don't forget that while the glass itself is soulless and sterile, retailers setting up shop will change that when they add their finishing touches.

Indeed. Often retailers are allowed to modify their storefront with the approval of the landlord. Why would the landlord spend money to decorate a storefront when an incoming retailer might prefer something completely different? Just like when selling a home, neutral is better. Interesting retail facades can come later.

The podium should have yellow brick and should reference the scale and materiality of MLG, imo. I like the tower though.

UF:

Actually I would hope they don't use yellow brick - it will feel pretty oppressive with the bulk of MLG next door. Red would probably work best - e.g. the type used by aA for the Pure Spirits podium.

DtTO:

I think comparison to retail on Yonge is like apples and oranges, considering the scale of the structures in question.

AoD

I still think black metallic cladding would look sharp on the podium, and flow well with the tower above.

Anyways, the high glass walls at grade would make this a great spot for Muji (like this). Or maybe a Joe Fresh for a more local brand, but too bad they're located inside MLG. Restaurants would also be nice.

AlbertC:

Nice but VERY single use - I have doubts about the retrofitability of a space like that should a tenant not materialize.

AoD

Hah! I was right...they DO want to eventually have a phase 2 in teh parking lot to the north, as evidenced by the proposed future floor plate for a second phase.

Hooray! You were right! Let's make party!

to be serious for a moment, I think the renderings look quite nice all around. nice job of design by Core.

Can you think of any newish developments where an all glass retail space transformed into a good-looking retail space, once a tenant renovated it? I can't think of any, off hand. Where are the new great retail developments? (never mind great, I'll settle for creative or interesting)

Back