Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Explain to me why you quoted my post considering I never disagreed with anything you noted above? My comment was in response to the person that said this location was a "Stupid choice".

What I stated was that considering the location, its would have been obvious that Trump would be surrounded by from almost all sides (BAC, FCP, TD, CC & Scotia) from the beginning and that clearly such a thing was not a major concern to the developer. Their focus is on making money, unless your trying to tell me they built Trump just to appease all us skyscraper fans?

Obviously making sure Trump Toronto fits in with everyone's perception of what the skyline should look like is not their primary concern - that was my point. Its only skyscraper geeks like us here that are deeply concerned about the massing and sightlines of different skyscrapers in the city.

I agree entirely that the developer would be happy with the location they selected and I can see why it makes perfect sense for them. And on a personal level with regards to the skyline, I like where Trump is - mostly hidden from view.
My post was not directed at you, but at the same post that you quoted. I was agreeing with you. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Obviously making sure Trump Toronto fits in with everyone's perception of what the skyline should look like is not their primary concern - that was my only point. It's only skyscraper geeks like us here that are deeply concerned about the massing and sightlines of different skyscrapers in the city.

The developers here did care about the skyline to the extent that they could, otherwise they would not have striven to include the Scotia-beating spire up top. Whether or not you agree that the building looks good, Trump was not just slapped up without thought regarding its context, or without considering the bragging rights inherent in claiming the second tallest Toronto building prize, or the tallest Canadian condo prize. Skyscraper geeks may take the geekery to extremes, but its naïve to believe that those who put up the towers are unaware of any aspect of the building's stats and standing.

I never suggested that those factors were completely irrelevant to them, only that they aren't the "primary concern" for the developer where as that is a primary concern for many skyscraper geeks, myself included. It just seems some here easily forget that when they're being critical of a building i.e. the "why did they build it here?" complaints.

For anyone that's been inside the hotel units, how's the noise levels from Bay and Adelaide Sts.?

I stayed up on the 17th floor last week and it was oddly very quiet. I was very pleased. Having stayed in the Cosmopolitan and Cambridge Suites down the street a number of times, where the street noise can be quite apparent, it was just much quieter at Trump. My guess is it has something to do with the width of the walls, the insulation and I'm sure the curtain-wall as well. My room was on the NE corner of the building with a great view looking E/NE.

That's reassuring. I've started to avoid booking hotels in downtown areas because the street noise keeps me up at night (light sleeper). I guess it must also help that they've got those parking levels acting as a buffer between the street and the hotel rooms

www.image

www.image

www.image

Trump, taken today with a cell from TD 54th.

Just for the heck of it (I've got the time this morning) I looked waaaaay back in these posts. In Dec '07, steel had arrived on site. In January '08, the hoardings were being put up. This building is taking 4+ years to build, and I suspect by the time it is totally finished, Trump Toronto will have taken 4.5 years to build.

Does that seem a bit crazy to anyone else on this board?

I like this building. I does great things for the Bay canyon, up close. I think that the best distance view of Trump can be had from in front of the ROM at Avenue Road and Bloor.

On the general subject to the negativity shown towards the project. Yes there are aspects that are not ideal. The lower east wall, the service entrance on Bay etc... but let's look at what we DO have...

A very high end 5-star hotel at a prominent intersection of our city.

I'd say that's a major plus! Let's not forget that.

a Travel Channel 2012 short vid of Trump and Four Seasons:

[video=youtube;8DMgxOTFcSo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DMgxOTFcSo[/video]

*and highmax2002, i can't see those photos from the TD Centre!!!!

Is it as good as the TD Centre or Scotiatower? Not even close. Is it better than most buildings downtown? Yes. Is it better than the parking lot or the former lowrise building? Yes. A fine addition that will slowly blend into the background as we direct our vision to One Bloor or whatever new tower is the flavour of the day.

Edward's post reminded me. Does anyone have a picture of what used to stand at this location, before the sales centre, and parking lot?

trump1.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]
trump3.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry Steveve, my first post. Again Trump from TD 54th floor. From up there it looks incredibly tall and skinny

Woah, looks like it suddenly sucks to work on the South side of the KPMG tower! Do the two buildings look directly into each other with like 15 feet between them?

Back