Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Well, nothing will beat yorkville's location. That's where the 4s comes in. But yabu and pushelburg, who did the hotel and who r doing the 4S are contemporary designers. They're not gonna do what tump did. It's gonna be a very modern space. Trump is more European.
I just hope that they do something really special with it. Though. I've been to the hazelton and there's nothing wow about it. Trump has more of a wow factor.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the hotel. We know someone who came on business for an extended period of time. Upper level exec who travels the world. He actually went after 2 days at the Ritz and checked out as he felt the Ritz was not up to the standard he expected. He went instead to the Park Hyatt at Avenue and Bloor.

Trump is a bit over the top for me but that said, it does look luxurious and that cannot be denied. Let's hope they execute well unlike the experience the person we knew had at the Ritz.

Some people look for over the top. And from what I've seen, a lot of hotels in Europe r over the top. Very ornate. We have nothing like that in Toronto. Maybe that exec was looking for that ornate decor, which he didn't see at the ritz. the park Hyatt is more like that. Plus location.

Some people look for over the top. And from what I've seen, a lot of hotels in Europe r over the top. Very ornate. We have nothing like that in Toronto. Maybe that exec was looking for that ornate decor, which he didn't see at the ritz. the park Hyatt is more like that. Plus location.

The person usually stays at the Ritz so this was actually a condemnation of our Ritz in Toronto. Maybe it was really as Gabe pointed out a "4 star" mascarading as a 5 star. I don't know. He stated the rooms were nothing special and the service was poor. I would tend to believe that this is just part of the growing pains of a new hotel or at least I hope so.

I am looking forward to seeing how SL will look since I have a vested interest. I think it will be more casual elegant. I don't think it will be "ornate" as Trump but also not "Canadiana" as Ritz. I have seen the artists rendition and I like what I see. That said, the artists rendition seems to be quite accurate for the external features so maybe what we see is what we will actually get on the inside. Of course, so much has to do with colour and texture when actually seen. The wrong materials can make a great design look ugly and of course the right materials can make a mediocre one look spectacular. I guess we will just have to wait. That said, I hope all 4 of the 5 star luxury hotels are different as it will add to the diversity and interest of the city.

The person usually stays at the Ritz so this was actually a condemnation of our Ritz in Toronto. Maybe it was really as Gabe pointed out a "4 star" mascarading as a 5 star. I don't know. He stated the rooms were nothing special and the service was poor. I would tend to believe that this is just part of the growing pains of a new hotel or at least I hope so.

I can understand that. I stayed there one night last year. i found the entire hotel very bland for 5 star Ritz Carlton, including the restaurant and bar/lounge areas. The service i found wasn't up to 5 star standards either. i received better service at the Marriott. At the lobby bar my friend ordered some kind of Cosmopolitan, i think it was a blood orange, and the young bartender didn't know how to make it, she had to get the manager over to show her how. A hotel of this calibre should have mixologists working behind the bar not university students.

I'm looking forward to trying STOCK. Chocolate lab sounds interesting

Hey trumptoronto is there a reason why the restaurant ( STOCK ) has been removed from the official Trump Toronto Hotel home page???

Here is STOCK home page. http://www.stockrestaurant.com/ Not sure why its no longer on the hotel home page?

I am looking forward to seeing how SL will look since I have a vested interest. I think it will be more casual elegant. I don't think it will be "ornate" as Trump but also not "Canadiana" as Ritz. I have seen the artists rendition and I like what I see. That said, the artists rendition seems to be quite accurate for the external features so maybe what we see is what we will actually get on the inside. Of course, so much has to do with colour and texture when actually seen. The wrong materials can make a great design look ugly and of course the right materials can make a mediocre one look spectacular. I guess we will just have to wait. That said, I hope all 4 of the 5 star luxury hotels are different as it will add to the diversity and interest of the city.

Canada is weak when it comes to hospitality. It's not engrained in our culture. It's a long standing tradition in Europe. There's an art to it. Waiting tables is an art in Paris. It's a profession, a career for them. They do it with pride. here, it's a way to make their way thru university. Americans also have that culture, because they get a lot of rich tourists from abroad. So they learned the art of hospitality over time. Napa valley, Miami, las Vegas, Orlando, new york....It's a big market.

^^^
Well if you are right Vatche let's hope with these hotels come the people, with the people comes the demand for the service, and with it ultimately perhaps the pride and culture required to deal with the expected level of hospitality. Once it arrives at these levels, it will eventually filter down to other parts of the hotel and restaurant spectrum and the rest of the economy.

I was always brought up with the philosophy that no job was worth doing unless one did it to the best of one's abilities. There is no such thing as a menial job, only a menial attitude to a job. One should do one's best whatever the circumstances. With that philosophy, I hope that I would make the experience that I was attempting to provide as good as it could be for my customer.

Canada is weak when it comes to hospitality. It's not engrained in our culture. It's a long standing tradition in Europe. There's an art to it. Waiting tables is an art in Paris. It's a profession, a career for them. They do it with pride. here, it's a way to make their way thru university. Americans also have that culture, because they get a lot of rich tourists from abroad. So they learned the art of hospitality over time. Napa valley, Miami, las Vegas, Orlando, new york....It's a big market.

In the USA at least, it's also fairly true that the service gets friendlier the further west or south you go.

edited: Forgot to mention the exception that is California.

I lived in France for 8 years, and the hospitality there is easily the worst I've seen in the world. Any European will agree Canadian service is way friendlier.

I lived in France for 8 years, and the hospitality there is easily the worst I've seen in the world. Any European will agree Canadian service is way friendlier.

Agreed. I've had hellish service in France, Italy and even more so in the UK. I find Canadian service to be very friendly and hospitable. Maybe not quite up there with the USA, but very good nonetheless. When family and friends come to visit us in Toronto, they say the same.

I’m sure the Ritz is probably just going through growing pains, but I also agree it does not quite have the wow-factor that many international travellers will expect. I hope that improves in time.

Although it's true that Parisians take a lot of pride in the art of waiting tables. From every single experience I've had i can easily say they all need to go back to school. Perhaps they can't tell how condescending and rude they are. Any kind of service I've had anywhere in Paris takes a whole new level of snobby stuck up pretentious attitude.

I don't normally go to places like this, but was at Stock today for lunch....first time in the Trump building....

Fantastic impression overall, good place for a business lunch, although not cheap. The couple next to us had the chocolate specialty for dessert, they present it with someting that looks like a cheese cutter, you cut up the pieces of chocolate and then eat by hand.

Room was full, and noisy..you could actually hear some construction sounds (drilling) from above where the pool is being worked on, over the music in the room..

Very sumptuous decor, lots of black (washrooms are all black marble)...and very, very friendly staff...everybody helpful and smiling..

Last edited:
Although it's true that Parisians take a lot of pride in the art of waiting tables. From every single experience I've had i can easily say they all need to go back to school. Perhaps they can't tell how condescending and rude they are. Any kind of service I've had anywhere in Paris takes a whole new level of snobby stuck up pretentious attitude.

Wait...what? The French are rude?

Yes I've been a tad underwhelmed with the Ritz. I know they were going for understated, but it's a bit too understated. Some logos on the tower, and less grey might help.

Trump on the other hand looks better every day. Once the base is tidied up and cleaned, it's gonna be a real winner.

The exterior design of Ritz is quite nice. It's the interior that leaves a lot to be desired. Trump interior wise is head and shoulders above the Ritz. Not even in the same class IMO.

If you can't speak French then they automatically hate you.

When I was in Paris with my dad and older brother in '97, we were hassled by an artist outside of a restaurant where we were drinking Cokes, on our way to Sacre Coeur. He asked us three times if we wanted our portraits drawn and we politely declined each time, then he said, "Fine, save your money and buy three more Cokes!"...and stormed off. That was just one example of several that displayed their collective snobbishness. I'd never go back to France without a translator.

Last edited:

Back