Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

But steveveveve, if Trump is only "meant to be seen" from one angle, how can it be a "well-defined tower"? Attractive buildings look good from all angles and should be designed with that goal in mind.

Don't worry about it, by tomorrow he'll probably dislike it from this angle and complain that it doesn't fill in enough gaps in our skyline.

Don't worry about it, by tomorrow he'll probably dislike it from this angle and complain that it doesn't fill in enough gaps in our skyline.

Wow... what's with the rude remarks to Steveve? From what I recall he's been very consistent with his opinion on Trump. He's also probably one of the most respectful posters on this forum and the least likely to make an insulting comment like this.

Red Mars: great photo ... love the lighting

But steveveveve, if Trump is only "meant to be seen" from one angle, how can it be a "well-defined tower"? Attractive buildings look good from all angles and should be designed with that goal in mind.

well defined in terms as easily recognizable and iconic.... it can't really be seen from many angles, which is why the tower is pointed toward Bay and Adelaide/the northwest where it is open,... and attractive buildings don't mean they look good from all angles (it differs from person to person), for example, one person might like how Trump Chicago looks from certain angles, and dislike how it looks from others... it doesn't mean it's a bad building. it's just that it was meant to be seen from certain angles, therefore, good at what it is trying to achieve,

and "doesn't fill enough gaps in the skyline???"... u mad bro!? Trump does a perfect job at that, and doesn't have a lot of space to begin with... IMO, it maximizes every square inch of the site it's built on.

Always thought you were beyond reproach egotrippin, but I've noticed a trend in some of your recent comments. However I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised that you and Projectend have more in common than just your taste in buildings.

Last edited:
[He'll] complain that it doesn't fill in enough gaps in our skyline.

This is the only thing that irks me about steveve- architecture should never be about a A++ continous skyline. It should focus on the way buildings interact with the street, because that's the level with which we interact with the building the most. Let the birds worry about 300+ footers :)

Wasn't meant to be offensive, mostly a joke. I perhaps it's a bit rude in retrospect though, my apologies steveve. But yes, I did write it in some response to the sometimes negative comments about our skyline, as if it's the most important metric when it comes to city building.

This is the only thing that irks me about steveve- architecture should never be about a A++ continous skyline. It should focus on the way buildings interact with the street, because that's the level with which we interact with the building the most. Let the birds worry about 300+ footers :)

to me it's a balance between the building and the impact to the area/skyline and whether it makes good use of the site... take trump for example, +'s for contributing to the streetwall, skyline, and making great use of such a tiny site... as for the building, i think the design of the north and west facing sides are great, but the east and south, mediocre... the cladding could have been better of course... and yeah, the inside of the building is as good as it gets.

Pic taken Oct 27, 2011

Vgbod.jpg

very nice pic ^^^ nice to see cladding almost at the top!...
one thing i will admit has always puzzled me about the original design, is why the vertical strip gets bigger right before it hits the dome... kinda weird... i'd rather have it uniformly go up the tower in a nice even line...

Gets bigger? What do you mean?

i think he means how the darker vertical column on the northwest corner gets a few meters wider on the top few floors before the spire

Back