Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Sept 1:

6103812660_6ef2e10329_o.jpg

Rats. It sucks to have TRUMP written huge on the skyline. I wish they could have some class and only put the sign at street level. Our bank towers set this cheesy precedent for our city though so I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm really not a fan of Trump, the man, but I think a big Trump sign illuminated at the top of the building is a sign (no pun) that the city has something many others don't; a luxurious five-star hotel that's well recognized and respected in many circles. By the same token I was disappointed not to see the Ritz logo atop their building. Many would argue this point, and that's OK, but I think signs atop many buildings add visual interest at night and some colour to the skyline.

I agree 100%. Say what you want about Trump the man, but the brand is important and I personally have no problem with an illuminated sign atop the building. I too would have liked to see a Ritz logo, is it confirmed that we're not getting one?

I`m generally not big on signage- hotels I don`t mind for some reason. I quite like the Fairmont sign and I do like the stylized Ritz logo- too bad they opted against it. I`m pretty indifferent on Trump.

Last edited:
I'm really not a fan of Trump, the man, but I think a big Trump sign illuminated at the top of the building is a sign (no pun) that the city has something many others don't; a luxurious five-star hotel that's well recognized and respected in many circles. By the same token I was disappointed not to see the Ritz logo atop their building. Many would argue this point, and that's OK, but I think signs atop many buildings add visual interest at night and some colour to the skyline.

Biff's from back to the future 2. :p

Coming down Bay on the #6 bus, I thought the steel tower look taller all the way down from College and the above photo confirm it.

Didn't have my long zoom camera with me nor did I have time to take photos of Trump or other buildings that day requiring it.

By the looks of the photo, all the steel brace should be in by the weekend, but a lot of bolting to be done after that.

Not only does New York have plenty of towers with large signs on them

Really? I can only think of two buildings in New York that have it which are The Met Life building and the Verizon building. Which other ones have it? I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just genuinely curious because I used to live in New York half the time and I don't remember seeing any others on tall buildings (other than ads in Times Square).

I'm really not a fan of Trump, the man, but I think a big Trump sign illuminated at the top of the building is a sign (no pun) that the city has something many others don't; a luxurious five-star hotel that's well recognized and respected in many circles.

There are trump buildings in New York and they don't need a big sign to prove anything.

Last edited:
steveveveve, I love you and your enthusiasm and your model, but, please, NEVER make that comparison again. If Trump was half as beautiful as the Chrysler Building I would cry tears of joy for this city.

okay... not from a quality, iconic, or epic point of view, but in terms of the closest thing downtown toronto has to a dome + spire combo is Trump,

THESE are the legit, copy=paste, cheap twins of TO:
new_york_towers_lg.jpg

And regarding the hate on the Trump logo... I agree that illuminated Bank logos (ex. BMO, KPMG, etc.. ) look VERY VERY cheap/non classy... they're bright and too colourful. especially in Toronto, since our CBD is where all the action is, and it's bloated with logos... BUT, TRUMP is different. It isn't illuminated with LED's, and it isn't exactly a bank/corporate logo, it's colourless,.. so it's pure class!
and there WILL be Trump logos at street level that read : " Trump International Hotel and Tower" which equals Pure Class :D!

I think the logo on Scotia Plaza suits the building very well. Also the former Bank of Montreal logo looked great. The current one is terrible. RBC Dexia has a nice logo as well.

Why:confused: is it because of the man.:rolleyes:

No, whether it's Trump, Ritz, bubba or skeeter- the name itself makes no difference to me :p I like the stylized signage of the Ritz and Fairmont in particular; I don't like the KPMG for instance nor BMO signage/logos. I think the CIBC signage unneccesarily clutters the top of CCW, which is perhaps the purest example of the international style in the city.

I think the logo on Scotia Plaza suits the building very well. Also the former Bank of Montreal logo looked great. The current one is terrible. RBC Dexia has a nice logo as well.

i agree. SCotia Plaza is the only exception because it is minimalistic and and has no lettering,
RBC Centre's logo is too long on the North/South sides. should just stuck with the walmart ball/star thing in front... which i just realized looks like walmarts logo,

Does anyone have a render of the proposed sign? I recall reading that it may be simply a "T" rather than a full "TRUMP." I don't like the idea of the latter, but if the former, I would consider it a blessing, given that Toronto and "T" are intimately linked in our imaginations. In fact, I would love to see a T-Tower be built - the Toronto Tower. Iconic, representative, unique and distinctively TO.

Trump on the other hand has taken a major hit from the perspective of many observers. I am not a rich tourist, so I don't know how the elite view him these days, but after his failed political farce, he is simply laughable to me - hair piece and all.

My point exactly, Im agreeing with you. We have our own unique version of the Rockefeller Centre, Chrysler, etc.

Unfortunately it's quite the opposite, especially in the case of Uptown. What is unique about a poorly executed knock-off of an architectural style from 80 years ago? Uptown and Trump are nowhere near unique, and are nowhere near the league of buildings such as Rockefeller or Chrysler.

I love Toronto, and it is truly special, but we have to face that fact that we don't have the Deco architecture of New York; and we never will (no amount of Burka/Stern/Kirkor rip-offs will ever come close). Instead we should cherish what we do have: a "skeleton" of fantastic Victorian residential and commercial architecture that stretches on for quite a while, and a truly great collection of modern architecture.

Pandering to the past, and the safe styles of those afraid to experiment is embarrassing, and will forever hold us back architecturally.

Back