Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

So the outstanding loans of a failing bank...could remain outstanding then?

Just payable to a different lender at maturity?

It is possible that another bank could take an assignment of a failed bank's loans and commitments to make loans, but this is never a certainty, particularly if those banks also need to conserve cash.

regarding an earlier post, falling share prices don't give a bank a right in and of itself to call a loan. But it does cause other problems. One problem is that the bank in question may experience an increase in cost of funds to itself in the LIBOR or other wholesale lending market. Sometimes (but not always) there are provisions in loan agreements (particularly in more recent ones) that allow a lender to raise the interest rate charged to its borrower if its own cost of funds rises. This makes the financing more expensive for the developer.

Outside of rights in the agreement to raise rates, interest rates charged to borrower are now also being increased at every other available opportunity. This isn't because the bank wants to gouge the borrower, but is because the bank may otherwise lose money on the loan given its own cost of funds. If a borrower requests an amendment to a loan agreemen to deal with an unforseen situation, banks take the opportunity to raise the interst rate. This too makes the financing more expensive for the developer.

Another problem is that the bank may not be able to raise the funds at all or may need to conserve cash to cover bad loans and to keep its regulatory capital at required levels. In these cases, the bank itself may default on its obligation to make an advance to a borrower when the borrower requests it. Banks don't just hand over all the money required to build a project at the beginning. They dole it out slowly as the developer needs it to make payments to the contractor(s). If the bank doesn't hand over the money when required, this can cause delays or other issues for the developer.

Banks may also become insolvent and be liquidated or be nationalized if their share capital price falls too far. Capital must be kept at a certain level for regulatory pruposes and if depositers and pref share holders think the bank may fail, there can be a run on the bank or other disatrous consequences, reducing the required regulatory capital levels. If the bank is not nationalized (saved by the government), then it may well be liquidated. This has happened with Lehman Brothers this past fall (although it was not a conventional bank). It was a lender on many syndicated credit agreements and when it wen bankrupt it defaulted in its obligations to make advances to borrowers.

DAMB claims to have done the stairs for RBC which, if true, means he has real connections that most of us don't. Capping at the 7th means they could use the parking levels for income.

thanks for the informative post 41stfloor....

.. I just learned a lot of stuff about construction financing, bank financing and cap requirements for financial institiutions that I did not know before. The fact that a bank does not give a lump sump at the onset of a real estate development can then be a cause of concern with regards to Trump, because the bank they (Talon) is relying on to release credit for payment to contracters is not that stable, and if they go under, Talon/Trump would have to find another means of financing the project.

..unless the outstanding assets of that bank are purchased by other financing company.

Last edited:
This is too good!!

So the rumor floating around before was capping off at ground level. But now that we've reached that and there doesn't seem to be any capping so we'll push it up another 7 floors and then cap it! (or whatever you do at 7 floors) :)

I'm sure if crosses that barrier it'll be 10 then 15 then 20 ... :)

Anyway this proves that although there may indeed be substance to these rumors they're clearly just that. Notice the capping at ground level was from a reliable source! The people who worked on the project themselves.

Anyway, too funny.

He also mentioned that he heard they might stop at ground or second but with them almost at the ground he said that he doubted that would happen and said that the 7th floor was more of chance.

I really don't thin anybody knows, if it will go or if they will put it on hold. Everybody says that the finances are good to go untill they get that one call. The banks or where ever they are getting their money can pull out at any time.

We have had 3 major jobs with "solid financing" that are now no hold. So who knows. I personally think that it will be put on hold for a short time.

Last edited:
DAMB claims to have done the stairs for RBC which, if true, means he has real connections that most of us don't. Capping at the 7th means they could use the parking levels for income.

I have done about 40% of the building in TO, the concrete formers on this project are the same at RBC, Ritz and Mapleleafs Square .

Last edited:
I have done about 40% of the building in TO, the concrete formers on this project are the same at RBC, Ritz and Mapleleafs Square .

Either way none of this is new information. You stated you talked to your source back before Christmas - when the capping at ground floor rumor was going around.

As someone pointed out above known one really knows and there's not much point speculating unless it's for fun in which case by all means go ahead :)

Either way none of this is new information. You stated you talked to your source back before Christmas - when the capping at ground floor rumor was going around.

As someone pointed out above known one really knows and there's not much point speculating unless it's for fun in which case by all means go ahead :)

I'm not speculating, I'm just stating that know really know what's going on, even the people directly involved in the project.

I'm not speculating, I'm just stating that know really know what's going on, even the people directly involved in the project.

Speculating is exactly what you are doing. The only sources that really know if the financing is solid and the project will continue to proceed are the bank and Talon. I have spoke to Talon and you saw my previous posts that the financing is solid and the project is on schedule. Now you have a choice. Either Talon is not telling me the truth or (brace yourself) just maybe this building will continue to rise. I can guess which one you will pick.

Last edited:
i just spoke to an exec at trump and as far as he knows, everything is good to go. but, as was mentioned above, talon and the construction lender would be in a better position to comment on the current status of the project.

So the outstanding loans of a failing bank...could remain outstanding then?

Just payable to a different lender at maturity?
Yes, exactly. And exstasie is correct, the government recently bought a ton of mortgages from Canadian lenders. This was an unusual measure for unusual times, though.

Speculating is exactly what you are doing. The only sources that really know if the financing is solid and the project will continue to proceed are the bank and Talon. I have spoke to Talon and you saw my previous posts that the financing is solid and the project is on schedule. Now you have a choice. Either Talon is not telling me the truth or (brace yourself) just maybe this building will continue to rise. I can guess which one you will pick.

Of coarse Talon would tell you that financing is solid. What do you expect them to say no our financing is week. Oh by the way to you want buy a condo.

Last edited:

Back