Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

The Globe and Mail Office building lobby were supposed to do something with regards to the archaeological remains found on that site.

I've not visited the building yet - can anyone confirm if they did that?

The Globe and Mail Office building lobby were supposed to do something with regards to the archaeological remains found on that site.

I've not visited the building yet - can anyone confirm if they did that?
Not sure but I also wonder what happened to the 'original' front doors - they were moved to the Front St West building (and fairly recently overhauled). Where are they now?

City Council has now approved extending the time that the Temporary North Market will be allowed to operate south of the market until 2020.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.TE26.10

The latest change to the tender documents spells out the schedule.
time.JPG

Must say I find the phrase "Time is of the essence' quite amusing as the project has moved forward VERY slowly but ....

Attachments

• time.JPG
    time.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 523
"Ward Councillor Lucy Troisi said councillors who oppose this (drain feature) are really out of touch. I think the vast majority of people in our city want to preserve the history of something as significant as this find,”

I'm neither an archeologist or historian by trade or inclination, but for these presumably intelligent people (she's been to Europe!) to even consider for a moment spending One Million, Seven Hundred Thousand Dollars on a 100 plus yr portion of a drain !! Boggles my mind.

In Europe that drain, compared to an actual antiquity, would be a nuisance. A thing of beauty only to the drug addled.

I wish she and all others of a similar mind could somehow find online a course on developing common sense skills, followed by a Economics for Dummies. And then lay down for a long nap.

Keep it, yes, in a glass covered box perhaps in the common area of the new building which is now YEARS behind schedule and way over buget in large part because of this foolishness. Install a glossy plaque above it for all those who care to see what an old drain looks like.

Cost, maybe $10K. Savings, to taxpayers - Priceless !!

"Ward Councillor Lucy Troisi said councillors who oppose this (drain feature) are really out of touch. I think the vast majority of people in our city want to preserve the history of something as significant as this find,”

I'm neither an archeologist or historian by trade or inclination, but for these presumably intelligent people (she's been to Europe!) to even consider for a moment spending One Million, Seven Hundred Thousand Dollars on a 100 plus yr portion of a drain !! Boggles my mind.

In Europe that drain, compared to an actual antiquity, would be a nuisance. A thing of beauty only to the drug addled.

I wish she and all others of a similar mind could somehow find online a course on developing common sense skills, followed by a Economics for Dummies. And then lay down for a long nap.

Keep it, yes, in a glass covered box perhaps in the common area of the new building which is now YEARS behind schedule and way over buget in large part because of this foolishness. Install a glossy plaque above it for all those who care to see what an old drain looks like.

Cost, maybe $10K. Savings, to taxpayers - Priceless !!

If "they have much older stuff in Europe" were our approach to heritage in Toronto, we'd bulldoze everything.

The problem is that it isn't just 1.7M (which is high, but manageable) - but the almost 10% increase in project cost due to the delay. At that cost, I can find far more worthy heritage preservation projects in the rest of the city - or roll back the value-engineering for this particular project.

AoD

Considering all of the notable, barely half century old architecture that we've lost over the past 2 or 3 decades, with nary a peep--Aeroquay One, Inn on the Park, Bata Building, Riverdale Hospital, Bulova/Shell Tower come to mind--it makes my blood boil that civic minions are losing their collective sh*t over a friggin drain pipe simply because it has outlasted the average lifespan of a parrot. This idiocy is wasting time and money and could threaten the current project with more valu-engineering which, in turn, will impact its worthiness for preservation a 100 years down the road. As one particular idiot might say: SAD!

Back