Mississauga Square One District | ?m | 65s | Oxford Properties | Hariri Pontarini

Width of these roads look discouraging, not sure if the pedestrian realm will be as vibrant as advertised.

Would one LRT line and the bus network be sufficient to service this neighbourhood?

This is going to take so long to complete that the state of Mississauga's transit will probably change a lot before it finishes. The gradual movement of this project will probably increase the demand for transit over time.

I would not be surprised to see the Mississauga Transitway become a upgraded to a full-blown LRT before this development completes.

Width of these roads look discouraging, not sure if the pedestrian realm will be as vibrant as advertised.

Would one LRT line and the bus network be sufficient to service this neighbourhood?
Maybe we could see a future subway line extension from the Kipling station west to Renforth north to Burnhamthorpe and west to Hurontario/Square One
considering of whats in the works in Mississauga this could happen sooner than later

_2_downtown.jpg

I see renders like this and wonder why more urban planners or big developers of this variety don't want to see elevated transit. How much more urban would that look with a guideway coming alongside the park and road? A lot. Breaks up the wide roadway ROW, adds verticality, adds dynamism. And from a transit riders' POV you can see what's going on and take in the city. The urban tram setup is obviously good too. But this is not Europe or dt Toronto. And although obviously cost effective vs a heavier solution with actual stations, there are drawbacks.

More a musing about grand urban visions in non-urban settings.

How about a Hyperloop station right under that LRT terminal. 45 mins Mississauga to Vancouver, 15 mins to New York, 2 hours to Amsterdam.

This is going to take so long to complete that the state of Mississauga's transit will probably change a lot before it finishes. The gradual movement of this project will probably increase the demand for transit over time.

I would not be surprised to see the Mississauga Transitway become a upgraded to a full-blown LRT before this development completes.
You wouldn't really gain much extra capacity from upgrading the Transitway to LRT.

I think this is a good place for one due to the space around it that allows for visual prominence (something you don’t get in downtown Toronto). Can we get more than 100 stories here?
I agree. My first thought was ohh supertall. I doubt you'd get something taller than the CN tower, but 400m+ as the standout tower in Mississauga would be AMAZING

Maybe we could see a future subway line extension from the Kipling station west to Renforth north to Burnhamthorpe and west to Hurontario/Square One
considering of whats in the works in Mississauga this could happen sooner than later
That a pipe dream as TTC can't built an extension to Cloverdale where the Regional Transit Hub was to be today. There is nothing on Burnhamthorpe today or 50 years from now able to support a subway. Even hard press for an LRT, but that's it.

You are far off better building a branch line off the Milton Line underground using EMU's if CP allows it or DMU's. It will be a 2-3 station line.

Good vision but I can’t figure out how the transitway gets into the terminal other than using mixed lanes unless there is something under ground. I’m assuming the go buses will also be integrated that will have to be a very significantly sized mobility hub especially when MiWay is included. Incorporating all of it together would make the switching in between transit modes more seamless. Avoids crossing rathburn by foot, waiting lights to change, weather etc.

Good vision but I can’t figure out how the transitway gets into the terminal other than using mixed lanes unless there is something under ground. I’m assuming the go buses will also be integrated that will have to be a very significantly sized mobility hub especially when MiWay is included. Incorporating all of it together would make the switching in between transit modes more seamless. Avoids crossing rathburn by foot, waiting lights to change, weather etc.
The buses run in mix traffic with 100, 109 and 110 running on Rathburn 100%. 107 drop riders off in the bus terminal and pickup riders on Rathburn.

The only reason the buses do this is the fact the city couldn't afford the cost of the tunnel from the transit way to the terminal and going west, considering the terminal was built for this type of operation on day one.

There been talk that the terminal was to move to the north side to be larger to handle future ridership as well service the LRT.

You are going to have to cross Rathburn one way or another to get to the GO terminal and the LRT as well to/from the Mall.

The miWay Terminal is where it is because of Oxford who call the shots for location and cost of land at the time the terminal was built in the 90's. It was out dated on day one as ir was built for a city of 250,000 considering the city was over 400,000 then as well to carry 25,000 riders a day..

A few thoughts...
  • Avoid a Hudson Yards such situation, which is really now a playground for money and not much of a mixed-use, mixed-income extension of NYC.
  • Oxford needs to completely "green" Square One's roof. It will reduce the heat-island effect and also give thousands of new residents something more pleasant to look at.
  • Reduce street widths. The local Fire/EMS departments can prepare years early.

Recall that Oxford is a major partner on Hudson Yards.. They like their control and returns. They won't provide a cent of affordable housing if they don't have to.

Most of the major streets here already exist, making it challenging to reduce ROWs. Doesn't mean the actual roads can't be narrowed with excess space given over to the public realm though.

Back