Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

(Although, in the interests of fairness, there's a whiff of this phenomenon at play in Toronto whenever some civic leader labels some new initiative "world class." World class cities don't proclaim themselves to be world class. They just are.)

You'd be astounded by how often London self-consciously refers to itself as a "world class" city. It's hard to say that they don't fit the bill.

Ed is completely right about building in advance. It's much better to build a new neighbourhood around rapid transit rather than shoe-horning in rapid transit twenty years later when it's already been built around the car.

It would be even better if the TTC had taken advantage of the unbuilt nature of the lands through which the VCC subway runs and had built the line above-ground like the Canada Line or countless others.

You'd be astounded by how often London self-consciously refers to itself as a "world class" city. It's hard to say that they don't fit the bill.

Ed is completely right about building in advance. It's much better to build a new neighbourhood around rapid transit rather than shoe-horning in rapid transit twenty years later when it's already been built around the car.

It would be even better if the TTC had taken advantage of the unbuilt nature of the lands through which the VCC subway runs and had built the line above-ground like the Canada Line or countless others.

I don't know the technicalities on why they would elect/select to tunnel it but I do share the opinion that an above ground section would have been better. Not only would it have been cheaper to build (I presume) the subway would have become its own marketing tool....people see it going up to the burbs or leaving the burbs they are more likely to use it.

I would guess that ongoing costs are a bit higher on surface "subways" (oxymoron alert!) but I have no idea if that is really true or what the magnitude of the difference is.

Noooo they're putting platform edge doors! I don't like them, they're safe but meh....

Station Structure
• Cut and Cover station construction
– Column-free wherever cost effective
– Minimum 4m finished ceiling heights
– Exposed structure above 3m Touch Zone
• 152.4m long centre platforms
– 10.3m wide
– 0.3% slope along length
• Platform Edge Doors (PEDs)

I suppose the other stations will get retrofitted with them too :(

Noooo they're putting platform edge doors! I don't like them, they're safe but meh....

I suppose the other stations will get retrofitted with them too :(

They won't have them - they were one of the first things cut from the budget several years ago.

They are building the stations with provisions for PED's, whatever that means. They did the same on the Sheppard line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The main problem with the extension are the relatively empty palaces for stations. No malls or stores should be inside them, because of their "no stopovers" rule one sees on the paper transfers.

If there were stores inside the stations, people would complain about not allowing the same privilege at the old downtown stations. "No stopovers" should mean no pausing to shop. Instead of "no stopovers", it should be 2 hours transfer privilege for all.

Click on this link to an article where shops are being put up at stations with park-and-ride lots. In this case, they shop before getting into their cars. Would be nice to get the same privilege, if one is transferring from one route to another.

I don't particularly agree with the extension beyond Steeles. I always believed a subway should have reached Mississauga first. That said, at least it's an extension. And York Region has been working hard to push it through. As I've said before, if the politicians in Toronto and Mississauga believed in subways as much as York, then they'd be getting subways too.
There's far more potential in the extensions to York than Mississauga. Both would be part of a development that includes Downsview and NYCC.

Does such potential exist West of Kipling station? Is there an equivalent of an NYCC within the area? It's possible for the land south of Dundas to be rezoned, but from that part to Square One, it's just a lot of a sprawl imo. Besides such an extension would be roughly 10km long (vs. 2.5km) as well.

The main problem with the extension are the relatively empty palaces for stations. No malls or stores should be inside them, because of their "no stopovers" rule one sees on the paper transfers.

If there were stores inside the stations, people would complain about not allowing the same privilege at the old downtown stations. "No stopovers" should mean no pausing to shop. Instead of "no stopovers", it should be 2 hours transfer privilege for all.

Really? I have never seen anyone have an issue at Warden, Islington or Eglinton Stations for having purchased things inside the station. Or at any other station for that matter.

And to the contrary, I think the stations should have some level of retail in them. To a degree, that makes them a destination in and of themselves - I used to go out of my way to stop at the supermarket inside Eglinton Station because it was inside the station and so I didn't have to pay another fare, and I'm sure that I wasn't the only one. I have seen people do the same with the McDonald's at Dundas West Station.

How many people go through the coffee places in Warden Station on any given weekday morning? How much longer would their trips be if they had to stop elsewhere? Would they be more inclined to drive or take alternate modes if they weren't able to have a coffee with them on the subway? These are the things that need to be thought about.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There's far more potential in the extensions to York than Mississauga. Both would be part of a development that includes Downsview and NYCC.

Does such potential exist West of Kipling station? Is there an equivalent of an NYCC within the area? It's possible for the land south of Dundas to be rezoned, but from that part to Square One, it's just a lot of a sprawl imo. Besides such an extension would be roughly 10km long (vs. 2.5km) as well.

It's only 2.5 km from Downsview to Vaughan CC? Really?

More potential in extensions to York? Maybe on the Yonge line, but only because it's Yonge St. On the Spadina side, no way in hell.

The equivalent of NYCC is MCC. And VCC isn't anywhere near MCC, so you can't even compare the two. On top of that, MT's ridership is much higher. And you have a much greater population base than all of York Region just in Mississauga. Not to mention the GTA is west-leaning. Logically the subway would reach further west, where the population is.

Can Dundas be redeveloped and intensified? Absolutely yes. The incentive of a subway on crappy strip malls would be immense. There's already thousands of people taking the slow crappy MT buses along Dundas (and neighbouring routes) as it is. A subway along Dundas would draw riders from every north-west route from Hurontario to Dixie, and very likely east-west routes in close proximity, e.g. Rathburn, Burnhamthorpe, Bloor and of course Dundas.

What is the ONE thing that would convince more Mississaugans to take the public transit? A subway from Square One to Toronto.

Toronto has always planned for the Sherway-Dixie extension. Unfortunately Hazel and her cadre fumbled the ball on that issue quite miserably.

you think there's any connection between the spadina extension & GO transit buying up the CN rail line?

It would be awesome if the station would turn out like this (or transform into it at some point).....
vaughannight2_2009_09_091.jpg

reminds me of NYCC a bit... add in a cool bus stop.

and Steeles West..... droool.
steeleswest_2009_11_20.jpg

I'm getting tired of these threads turning into a subway to Mississauga discussion. This is the Spadina subway thread.

I agree.

The discussion was valid until the decision was made (ie. before this extension was picked/funded) as there could have been debate over what direction to extend the subway.

Now, IMO, this should focus on this extension itself...not if it is/was the right decision (and this is from someone who would have voted for Mississauga in any pre-decision discussion).

Back