Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The logical way to open the extension would be to first build the portion to Steeles, and open that by July 2015 (in time for Pan AM games), and open the remaining portion (2 stations) in 2016.

I wonder when the station concept plans will be available for Finch West station (which has the LRT connection and a bus bay) and Vaughan Metropolitan Corporate Centre of Canada station (which will have VIVA connections and will possibly attempt to be urban).

I wonder when the station concept plans will be available for Finch West station (which has the LRT connection and a bus bay) and Vaughan Metropolitan Corporate Centre of Canada station (which will have VIVA connections and will possibly attempt to be urban).

All the previous concept plans have first come to light when the agenda packages were posted online in advance of TTC commission meetings. I went back and checked the thread and they seem to go up about 6 days before the Commission meeting is scheduled to occur. As the next meeting will be on December 16, that would point to a wait until the 10th or so. The next meeting after that isn't until January 20, so let's cross our fingers for the last two coming up sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
They are probably taking a long time on the Vaughan station because of the complex design issues.

Junk.jpg

Attachments

• Junk.jpg
    Junk.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 311
So then why don't they build them in that order, and open them as they are completed?

I know in many projects, it doesn't save time or money to phase things like that, it actually costs more since you lose some scale savings.

If they open them as completed I do think they will all open on the same day - it just makes sense. You only have to pay for one commissioning and test phase, get to install track and signals with your specialty contractors just once. Main thing is all your station boxes should be done before you dig the tunnel, and since tunneling is surprisingly fast and you save a bunch of cash. Of course you can do the opposite but then you cannot dig your station boxes until both tunnels are done and it costs more.

Back