Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

It seems the 3rd rail was powered up yesterday
Line 1 extension powers up for TTC testing and trial runs
March 27, 2017
News Release -- March 27, 2017

The third rail on the TTC’s Line 1 Yonge-University extension into York Region was powered up for the first time yesterday, allowing for testing of the Automatic Train Control (ATC) signal system and trial runs for trains. Over the coming months, power will be tested across the extension or in parts as required.

Testing and commissioning on systems including ventilation, public address, radio communications, escalators, elevators, lighting and fire alarms began several months ago, and will continue until opening day later this year.

For safety purposes, access to track level is now restricted to authorized personnel only.

The six-station, 8.6-km extension of Line 1 runs from the current terminus at Downsview Station (to be renamed Sheppard West Station in May) through York University and into York Region, ending at the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre at Highway 7 and Jane St.

The extension, the first subway to cross Toronto's boundary, will see additional commuter parking and inter-regional connections to York Region Transit and GO Transit.

This project is jointly funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, the City of Toronto and The Regional Municipality of York.

Line 1 extension powers up for TTC testing and trial runs
March 27, 2017
News Release -- March 27, 2017

The third rail on the TTC’s Line 1 Yonge-University extension into York Region was powered up for the first time yesterday, allowing for testing of the Automatic Train Control (ATC) signal system and trial runs for trains. Over the coming months, power will be tested across the extension or in parts as required.

Testing and commissioning on systems including ventilation, public address, radio communications, escalators, elevators, lighting and fire alarms began several months ago, and will continue until opening day later this year.

For safety purposes, access to track level is now restricted to authorized personnel only.

The six-station, 8.6-km extension of Line 1 runs from the current terminus at Downsview Station (to be renamed Sheppard West Station in May) through York University and into York Region, ending at the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre at Highway 7 and Jane St.

The extension, the first subway to cross Toronto's boundary, will see additional commuter parking and inter-regional connections to York Region Transit and GO Transit.

This project is jointly funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, the City of Toronto and The Regional Municipality of York.

Wishful thinking here but if they will be renaming Downsview in May does that mean the extension may open sooner than planned? After all, why change the name 6 months before opening?

Wishful thinking here but if they will be renaming Downsview in May does that mean the extension may open sooner than planned? After all, why change the name 6 months before opening?

No. It will absolutely not open in May, it is virtually guaranteed not to open before December, and many are still skeptical that they will make December at that. Brad has said that this is to give people time to get used to the new name, though personally I don't understand the logic of this either...should change it shortly before opening. Are they going to replace all the T1/TR/system maps in May, and then replace them again in December? Huge waste of resources and work. Or are they leaving the name wrong on maps for 6 months? Or having TYSSE on the maps 6 months early?

No. It will absolutely not open in May, it is virtually guaranteed not to open before December, and many are still skeptical that they will make December at that. Brad has said that this is to give people time to get used to the new name, though personally I don't understand the logic of this either...should change it shortly before opening. Are they going to replace all the T1/TR/system maps in May, and then replace them again in December? Huge waste of resources and work. Or are they leaving the name wrong on maps for 6 months? Or having TYSSE on the maps 6 months early?

The only reasoning I can think of is because of Doors Open Toronto. There is talk they will run trains but not stop at the stations on the extension. Perhaps they wanted to make the change in advance of that?

Personally I can see them replacing the TR maps (They have the LEDs pre-installed) and doing what they did when Downsview opened for the non-digital maps.

For those who are unaware (I suspect alot of you are), when Downsview first opened, the TTC put stickers on the maps indicating the extension.

They could change the maps and signage now but say that section of the line is closed for maintenance until it eventually opens.

I think they just want to get poel used to the name change now as to having it happen over night. Plus they will need to test the station stop announcements at some point so they need to make sure the program has all the right pronunciations in it to begin with.

I can see the rationale behind it, I would not like to see one station renamed and a new station with a very similar name immediately to the west on the same day. Someone could be taking a bus that says it's heading to Downsview Park and someone thinks it's heading to Downsview/Sheppard West because they're using an old map that got switched that week.

I think map replacements etc. are a small cost to prevent some confusion. People will be mad getting used to the changes anyway, but less instances like that in particular will make it go smoother.

I can see the rationale behind it, I would not like to see one station renamed and a new station with a very similar name immediately to the west on the same day. Someone could be taking a bus that says it's heading to Downsview Park and someone thinks it's heading to Downsview/Sheppard West because they're using an old map that got switched that week.

I think map replacements etc. are a small cost to prevent some confusion. People will be mad getting used to the changes anyway, but less instances like that in particular will make it go smoother.
There are no routes going to Downsview Park Station, it only has curbside stops on Sheppard. There is a bus that goes into the actual Downsview Park park, but it's limited from Downsview Station to the park.
Why it change Eglinton-Yonge? Is it because it's not a "subway"?

Or are they leaving the name wrong on maps for 6 months? Or having TYSSE on the maps 6 months early?

Do you think that they changed all of the subway maps overnight when Downsview Station opened? Or when the Sheppard Line opened?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Do you think that they changed all of the subway maps overnight when Downsview Station opened? Or when the Sheppard Line opened?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
When Downsview opened they just put stickers on the existing maps with it on it so yes they could have done it over night, also changing out the maps isn't relly that hard with the T1's they just have to be replaced like advertising is. With the rockets there are a couple of screw that hold it in place the roctes alredy have the lights in place for it to be done.

19698242048_a055456525_z_d.jpg

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Last time the Hong Kong Metro had an extension, they had hundreds of employees roaming the network changing each and every route map on the Metro network, in the early morning hours before the extension opened. Rather impressive to see, although I'd never expect to see the same from the TTC (or just about any other agency for that matter).

Anyways I remember when the Sheppard Line opened, the maps were updated several weeks beforehand, depicting the new line, with a very prominent disclaimer saying that it wouldn't be open until a certain date. It's a completely acceptable solution, and I'd expect to see similar for the Spadina Subway.

I would think that a sticker on existing maps would be sufficient for the renaming of Downsview to Sheppard West. Then when the extension actually opens, they can have replacement maps.

Though, since renaming is only going to be a few months before the extension opens anyway, replacement maps with disclaimer stickers might be the better way to go. I really felt they should have renamed Downsview ASAP, to allow maximum soak time of the new name in isolation.

Last time the Hong Kong Metro had an extension, they had hundreds of employees roaming the network changing each and every route map on the Metro network, in the early morning hours before the extension opened. Rather impressive to see, although I'd never expect to see the same from the TTC (or just about any other agency for that matter).

Anyways I remember when the Sheppard Line opened, the maps were updated several weeks beforehand, depicting the new line, with a very prominent disclaimer saying that it wouldn't be open until a certain date. It's a completely acceptable solution, and I'd expect to see similar for the Spadina Subway.

Well technically they updated the maps / signage months before the opening of the extension. All they really did was peel off the stickers covering up the information.

Back