Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Will the parking spaces has charging stations?

With Norway banning petroleum cars by 2025, Ontario implementing "cap and trade" (gasoline going up 4.5¢ a litre starting January 1, 2017), and better batteries coming along, hopefully there parking spaces at the new stations will include charging stations. Hopefully, more than a handful.

I like the name. It's simple and references a unique local attraction.

It is - but it's a unique local attraction that's over 500m away. I mean, that's not FAR but it's not right there either.
And I like the Pioneer Village, so if it brings more people there, that's great too.
But having followed the station-naming debates, I'm not sure it's what made the most sense. Whatever - it's not even in the Top 50 Stupid Transit Decisions Made By the City of Toronto Since 2010.

They're quoting that the opening is for "end of 2017". Which could mean the classes that start in September of 2017, would begin with buses, but should end that school year with the subway serving them.
I believe the target is by the end of December.

If TTC is saying "end of 2017," even late November certainly seems a generous interpretation. Better to say "early 2018" and beat predictions :)

They'll probably end up with a "soft open" when York is already off for exams and be running for real in the new year. No need to rush at this point.

I disagree. The station is located on a major crosstown arterial road. Why not just subtitle it?

"Steeles Avenue West" would be a useful subtitle. However, names like "Steeles West" say little about the geographic location of the station in the city, unless the line follows a single street. This part of the line doesn't follow a single street, so it wouldn't be that useful.

To put it differently, line 1 was originally built following Yonge Street. Dundas Station would thus be at Yonge and Dundas. Dundas West on the the Bloor-Danforth line would be at Bloor and Dundas, in the west end. Is Steeles West at Steeles and Spadina? No, that intersection doesn't exist. We've exhausted the usefulness of the original naming system, used when the subway city was smaller and followed single streets.

So this station is at Steeles. Where at Steeles? You wouldn't know based on the name and the transit line. Pioneer Village is clearer. It's near York University.

"Steeles Avenue West" would be a useful subtitle. However, names like "Steeles West" say little about the geographic location of the station in the city, unless the line follows a single street. This part of the line doesn't follow a single street, so it wouldn't be that useful.

To put it differently, line 1 was originally built following Yonge Street. Dundas Station would thus be at Yonge and Dundas. Dundas West on the the Bloor-Danforth line would be at Bloor and Dundas, in the west end. Is Steeles West at Steeles and Spadina? No, that intersection doesn't exist. We've exhausted the usefulness of the original naming system, used when the subway city was smaller and followed single streets.

So this station is at Steeles. Where at Steeles? You wouldn't know based on the name and the transit line. Pioneer Village is clearer. It's near York University.

The "X West" naming system is used at every station crossing a arterials on the Spadina leg, except at Downsview, and even that will soon be renamed. Consistency is better.

There's no rule that says we can't rename all our stations to more logical names. Although I fear if the TTC decided to rename stations it would go the opposite way and we'd get more Pioneer Village/Cedarvale/Keelesdale stations instead of logical names.

There's no rule that says we can't rename all our stations to more logical names. Although I fear if the TTC decided to rename stations it would go the opposite way and we'd get more Pioneer Village/Cedarvale/Keelesdale stations instead of logical names.

Metrolinx is the one who named "Cedarvale" and "Keelesdale". The City of Vaughan wanted "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre".

Back