Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Just came across these photos of subway stations in Stockholm- I doubt the TTC would ever spend the money on something like these: http://luketechtips.com/a-neat-blog-about-tech/unbelievably-cool-swedish-subway-system.html

I think these pictures point out something sorely missing from the TTC system (besides high ceilings) which is vibrant colors. I don't think the washroom tile designs would be as bad if we used some brighter colors in the stations to make it less depressing.

I think the Queen platform has a good attempt at it with the colored ceilings along with Bessarion with the vibrant red tile color.

Looks gorgeous. I hope Vaughan and Toronto bring some serious density to this area. Zone the lands for dense mid-rise office buildings like the one built ar Keele and Steeles
It really tells developers - we want density right HERE - and taxpayers - we want to make money from them AIR RIGHTS - when you then issue an RFP for low rise subway stations.

One of these new stations - Downsview GO Station/Sheppard West/Downsview Park/whatever we're calling it this week probably - should have been where the new TTC HQ was placed to form a core around which other development could come in, get some light retail going etc. It would be nice and close to the 401 and 400 for all those 905er TTC staff around - is Webster still getting Lakeshore East to work? :cool:

Instead they wanted to put it at York Mills which should have had no problem being developed for private tenants while tumbleweed blew around this brand new station (but it has a green roof so that's okay).

Instead they wanted to put it at York Mills which should have had no problem being developed for private tenants.

That York Mills location isn't exactly new. It's been available for private tenants for some time; I want to say 30+ years but have no evidence beyond 10.

Just came across these photos of subway stations in Stockholm- I doubt the TTC would ever spend the money on something like these: http://luketechtips.com/a-neat-blog-about-tech/unbelievably-cool-swedish-subway-system.html

I have little doubt that if our geological conditions were similar, the TTC wouldn't do that.

What you're seeing is essentially a creative way of achieving something spectacular without spending much money. In building those stations, they left the natural bedrock exposed rather than going to the expense of building an artificial structure. It must have taken some design work in terms of how the exposed rock would be shaped, and then lighting design to make it more dramatic, but overall, it looks like a brilliant way to cut costs. Note the ample kitschy or amateurish artwork, too.

There are, however, many options for interesting and unique stations on the cheap. Lighting is one strategy, nicely done at Munich's Westfriedhof, for instance.

Last edited:
There are, however, many options for interesting and unique stations on the cheap. Lighting is one strategy, nicely done at Munich's Westfriedhof, for instance.

Westfriedhof is lovely, but it's also a shockingly simple station. Just an island platform with stairs, escalators, and an elevator at each end up the platform right up to the surface. Here's what it looks like at the surface. That escalator goes right down to the platform. The station was a terminus station for several years and the walls are exposed concrete. It's very simple and still looks great.

On new lines beyond the legacy network, Toronto could learn a lot from stations like Westfriedhof to help keep costs down. You don't always need a concourse level.

Do stations north of Steeles West require standard double fare when exiting the station like the rest of TTCs buses serving Vaughan/Markham/Missisauga seeing as somewhere on this thread, it is stated that the TTC can take full revenue from north of Steeles

Do stations north of Steeles West require standard double fare when exiting the station like the rest of TTCs buses serving Vaughan/Markham/Missisauga seeing as somewhere on this thread, it is stated that the TTC can take full revenue from north of Steeles
I don't think anyone knows yet. I suspect that we won't hear anything until long after they start running test trains.

i thought I read somewhere that the Subway will be treated as an extension of the TTC fare boundary. They won't charge you an extra fare to exit the subway at VCC but you'll have to pay to board a YRT/VIVA bus. Since there will be no TTC routes serving the stations North of Steeles there is no fare paid bus area. Though this could all change with fare integration.

I don't think anyone knows yet. I suspect that we won't hear anything until long after they start running test trains.

I seem to recall that they already announced that the entire line will be TTC fare. The station design supports this (TTC bus terminals inside the fare-paid zone, YRT bus terminals outside).

EDIT: LOL, Woodbridge Heights posted almost exactly the same thing at the same time as me. That too seems to support my hypothesis.

Last edited:
If they ARE going to move towards fare integration, or smart cards, or increasing use of PoP as on the downtown streetcars and/or LRTs if built, then why are we building 2 bus terminals at Steeles West? Depending on timeline the redundant terminal will be obsolete very quickly after it's built, if not before it even opens.

Back