Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

I heard a few days ago that Delta hotels will be closing the Delta Chelsea once the new Delta opens on Bremner. If true this could release a HUGE downtown site.

The Delta Chelsea is only Managed by Delta Hotels. It is actually owned by Great Eagle Hotels. I could see Delta no longer managing the Chelsea but the actual physical structure will not disappear. If Delta indeed ceases operating/managing the Chelsea it will be rebranded, not closed. It is too much of a cash cow for Great Eagle.

Now one interesting possibility would be if Great Eagle rebranded the Chelsea like the other hotels in the portfolio, ALL Langham properties. This is a 5 star chain and has little presence in North America. Could be a good entry point against the other 5 stars in Toronto and would help fit in with the Aura project. Probably would require some changes to the physical structure of the Chelsea.

http://www.greateagle.com.hk/html/eng/our_businesses/hotels_hospitality.jsp

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I'd hate for them to close the Delta Chelsea... even rebranding it would make me sad.

The new Delta Toronto looks great... I like the design, and the podium is really something different for Toronto.

I think a city the size of Toronto should be able to handle two Delta hotels downtown. New York has four W hotels south of Central Park!

Probably would require some changes to the physical structure of the Chelsea.

I have an idea how they can reconfigure the structure... Add a 328 meter addition on the empty lot on Bay. Hotel on the bottom half and luxury condos on the top. It would add a few hundred rooms to the Delta (they could be special luxury suites) and a great new Bay street address for the condo owners above.

I should come up with a good render of how that would fit in, if I can find the right picture at the right angle. Too bad I can't get Cal to stroll up Bay Street and take some pics for me.

would be nice if they stacked the two smaller of the 3 towers because I would hate to have 2 short stubby towers in that area.

interchange42, many thanks for the updated pictures (I am not sure where you are getting all this info for all the projects, but we are very appreciative.

Bremner is not going to be a very interesting street or neighbourhood with these developments. The office buildings and hotel will not make for great streetlife. The area will probably be well populated, but hardly a destination for a Sunday stroll.

Bremner is not going to be a very interesting street or neighbourhood with these developments. The office buildings and hotel will not make for great streetlife. The area will probably be well populated, but hardly a destination for a Sunday stroll.

The same can be said of the entire downtown core. I have no problem with this area simply being an extension of that. Though the area doesn't really feel like a part of the core right now, once everything is built out, including the Aquarium and the office tower at 16 York, we're going to have some nice little intersection here.

With all the business people and travellers moving into this neighbourhood, I expect to see the retail populating the ground floor of Infinity to start going higher end. I'm hoping that whatever might one day replace Hoops will take advantage of the outdoor patio, as it does bring some decent life to the street. I'm also eager to see how the patio at e11even will affect the area.

Toss in a couple of hotdog vendors and a dude playing guitar and this area will feel just as "vibrant" as anything other place in the core.

^^^^^^^^Exactly well stated..... this will be an intersection we tell kids 10 years from now, "this used to be empty...." This isn't hard to picture at all, it will be grand. Hotels and office plus res.... this will be more vital at nite than the cbd.

The Delta Chelsea is only Managed by Delta Hotels. It is actually owned by Great Eagle Hotels. I could see Delta no longer managing the Chelsea but the actual physical structure will not disappear. If Delta indeed ceases operating/managing the Chelsea it will be rebranded, not closed. It is too much of a cash cow for Great Eagle.

Now one interesting possibility would be if Great Eagle rebranded the Chelsea like the other hotels in the portfolio, ALL Langham properties. This is a 5 star chain and has little presence in North America. Could be a good entry point against the other 5 stars in Toronto and would help fit in with the Aura project. Probably would require some changes to the physical structure of the Chelsea.

http://www.greateagle.com.hk/html/eng/our_businesses/hotels_hospitality.jsp

Sounds like a distinct possibility.

I have an idea how they can reconfigure the structure... Add a 328 meter addition on the empty lot on Bay. Hotel on the bottom half and luxury condos on the top. It would add a few hundred rooms to the Delta (they could be special luxury suites) and a great new Bay street address for the condo owners above.

^ Ooh, I like that idea.

I don't think it's fair to call this project "dull" because of its understated architecture and lack of retail. Including Ice stage 3, this stretch of Bremner is really an extension of the core, that is, an extension of the financial district. It is is to be expected that institutional buildings of this nature will lack retail. Expecting office towers to lack "flair" is another issue altogether. Let's see what the buildings will look like when finished.

Consider though, the influx of trees, public art and stunning lobbies that will soon grace the street. And there will in fact be retail once the Aquarium and the CN Tower renovation is complete.

Most of all, consider what this area used to be. It was barren land stuck between two stadiums. The CN tower used to be surrounded by train tracks and parking lots. When all this construction is complete, Bremner will look great and be full of activity. That's right, Bremner will be a destination. What?!

Last edited:
Feb 18
5457325942_b99f9d482a_b.jpg

5457327888_969b8dffdf_b.jpg

5456723331_f067fe0d0a_b.jpg

those first 2 shots are classic signs of density in the making.
a year ago, the view of MLS and telus would be unobstructed.
today, 18 york added one more corner building to the area
in a few years, we won't see sh** here. it'll be a whole new area, with towers on all four corners of york/bremner. MLS won't even be visible anymore, and towers will be right up next to it.
bring it!!!

I've mentioned before that I would like to see something like Hong Kong's Langham Place development for the Delta Chelsea site. A combination of hotel, office tower and a 15-storey vertical mall. At least I'd like to see a vertical mall - a first for Toronto!

879361359_d7a8f17453_o.jpg

880216942_b2fdddf122_o.jpg

879372999_e66c138497_o.jpg

Back