News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 979     1 

Toronto South Detention Centre (132 Horner Ave, MCSCS, 8s, Zeidler)

I am on the GO train right now passing through Willowbrook.
I can't express properly how HUGE this building is. It's ridiculous! The complex is just MASSIVE! It puts the complex in "Prison-Industrial-Complex"
It just takes over the entire view north of the GO yard.
It's like the death star. I can't believe only 1,650 prisoners will be here. I'm sure that's the design capacity, but I suspect, like all prisons, it will actually house many more. Add in the guards and service workers, there will be thousands working and living in this space.

EDIT: I encourage everyone to come see this place for themselves, but if you can't, the size of this place resembles the Oakville Ford plant. No, it's not quite as big, but it is the same scale of building. It dominates the surroundings.

Last edited:
July 21
5962524987_8e5c287bf3_b.jpg

5962525363_4ef8d360a0_b.jpg

A couple of us passed by on the GO train on Saturday, after our state visit to Mississauga for their Pride celebrations, and we were transfixed with horror.

Yeah, it looks much like the a bulked-up, supersized, mutated version of the last generation of new Bay stores like those at Erin Mills, Mapleview, and Promenade.

This is a provincial jail so it will house common criminals (those with sentences of less than 2 years) and remand prisioners (who, having not been convicted for whatever crime(s) they were charged with, are legally innocent).

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks much like the a bulked-up, supersized, mutated version of the last generation of new Bay stores like those at Erin Mills, Mapleview, and Promenade.

This is a provincial jail so it will house common criminals (those with sentences of less than 2 years) and remand prisioners (who, having not been convicted for whatever crime(s) they were charged with, are legally innocent).

Whatever else it is, it HAS to be a huge step up from the awful, awful Don Jail. That place is a dump, and from the recent newspaper spread (Star? G&M?) it's even worse inside than out. When does the new jail go live and the Don come down?

Aug 11
The building been used by Ellis Don is schedule to come down in the coming weeks as Aug 12 is their last day there.

The big crawlers used to lift the precast into place have left the site. Still a fair amount of precast to go up.
6034532920_76593622a6_b.jpg

6033978973_2bc317791e_b.jpg

6034535884_1161293537_b.jpg

6034536862_32d744fff7_b.jpg

6033982307_5a7b3b97f7_b.jpg

6034538340_5fbe002cbc_b.jpg

Project details: http://www.stephenson-eng.com/projects/correctional/tsdc.html

Architect
Zeidler Roberts Partnership Architects

Project Statistics

A Design-Build-Finance & Maintain (DBFM) project for Infrastructure Ontario.
Detention Centre located in Etobicoke, Ontario.
920 inmate cells.
Total area of 846,000 square feet.
Includes 3-7 storey detention towers, administration building, food and laundry building, Central Utilities Plant, and an Intermittent Centre.

Any idea there will be a public visit of the new jail before it takes its first prisoners? How about a slumber party, like the new jail in Flint shown in Roger & Me? (and a potential fund raiser/PR exercise)

Doors Open next year? (A perfect pendant to various Don Jail Doors Open appearances)

Back