Toronto Sherway Gardens Expansion | ?m | 2s | Cadillac Fairview | DIALOG

Nice to see there are still some of those 70's globe lamps outside though! They remind me of Ontario Place.

1970s globe lights like those are often great landscape features. They should be preserved and restored over time. Albert Campbell Square has a 'tree' of 16 globe lights stacked in rows of four on one pole that's memorable. The Crossways at Dundas and Bloor has them mounted outside and inside the mall as monumental lanterns. I hope they never get rid of them in renovations.

The best place to put this underground garage since it was already deep in the first place for parking.

March 15
8575569885_807c7403c4_b.jpg

8576678042_01f9a15a02_b.jpg

8576678200_eaf5614b10_b.jpg

so it looks like Holts will be moving to Sq one?. What will take over this space in this part of the expansion?. Oxford is wiping Cadillac completely off the map. They took Whole Foods a few years back and now stealing Holts away as well.

Not sure if Holt's will survive at Sq One as the clientele is completely different. Sherway has it's wealthy nabes near High Park, Baby Point, and west downtown TO.

so it looks like Holts will be moving to Sq one?. What will take over this space in this part of the expansion?. Oxford is wiping Cadillac completely off the map. They took Whole Foods a few years back and now stealing Holts away as well.

Not sure if Holt's will survive at Sq One as the clientele is completely different. Sherway has it's wealthy nabes near High Park, Baby Point, and west downtown TO.

Sherway also draws in people from Oakville. Oavillians can easily go to Square One instead for Holt's.

Sherway also draws in people from Oakville. Oavillians can easily go to Square One instead for Holt's.

yeah, that's true, but the traffic will pale in comparison to the Sherway location. But who knows, maybe sherway preferred Holt's to leave as they know that Holts won't be able to compete with Nordstrom in the same mall (I know which one i'll choose just because of their service). Or they are probably already prepared to bring over more international recognized high end retailers with more punch like Barneys New York, Saks Fifth Ave, or Neiman Marcus.

yeah, that's true, but the traffic will pale in comparison to the Sherway location. But who knows, maybe sherway preferred Holt's to leave as they know that Holts won't be able to compete with Nordstrom in the same mall (I know which one i'll choose just because of their service). Or they are probably already prepared to bring over more international recognized high end retailers with more punch like Barneys New York, Saks Fifth Ave, or Neiman Marcus.

You think Sherway has more traffic than Square One? I don't think so. Not by a long shot. Sherway is a relatively sleepy mall compared to Square One, even if the sales psf are higher.

Last edited:
I visit both the malls quite often and have done business with both, Square One has much more traffic than Sherway. Square One also has a broader mix of customers. From my understanding Sherway's customer base is shrinking as the adjacent smart centres keep getting bigger and bigger drawing away these customers. It will be interesting to see how Holts will do at Square One.

You think Sherway has more traffic than Square One? I don't think so. Not by a long shot. Sherway is relatively sleepy mall compared to Square One, even if the sales psf are higher.

sorry,i didn't mean traffic overall. i meant the traffic in regards to high price tag shoppers that would frequent each mall. I'm sure that the shoppers at Sherway would have much looser purse strings than the shoppers at Square One.

Square One is definitey not a right fit for Holts.. I have no idea what happened to the relationship between CF and Holts, but it must have been legendary for them to leave a high end mall for another mall anchored by (drum roll!) Target and Wal Mart.

I wonder what Sherway will do now? Shame CF had to acquire them...

Maybe it's a strategic retreat on the part of Holts, given Nordstrom is incoming and the existing Holts store is way too small. And if I am CF I wouldn't cry over it - Holts moving meant that an entire end of the complex is open for even more expansion.

As to Holts, maybe they are taking the long-view and see a niche at Square One to be filled?

AoD

Last edited:
So we know that HR is opening a new store at Square One but is it actually confirmed they will be closing the Sherway store? I thought they were doubling the size of that store in conjunction with the Sherway expansion? Will this affect where Nordstrom or Sporting Life will build their stores at the mall?

The company I work for is a retail company, and I mentioned the new Square One Holt's and a couple people I talked to thought it unlikely that Holt's would close their Sherway store, despite the proximity to Square One. I guess it remains to be seen. Until Holt's or CF announce something, we have to assume Sherway Holt's will continue to operate as is.

Square one is still a fair distance from Sherway so I can see Holts keeping Sherway open. I just can't imagine them exiting Sherway outright.

I've heard that Holt's is expanding at Sherway, but it wasn't a super reliable source.

Anyway, as someone who grew up in Etobicoke, Sherway and Square One are galaxies apart.

The Holt's expansion was very much a part of the Sherway Gardens plan, but it seems that negotiations have ended and Holt's is leaving Sherway.

Seems stupid to me too.

Back