Toronto Seventy5 Portland | ?m | 11s | Freed | Core Architects

I also heard that a cafe was to move in. To add to the rumours, Freed's sales centre is supposed to move from King Street into 75 Portland.

Gristle - I believe you are right about Freed's Private Service Reality moving in... I also heard that a while back. A bakery would bring a nice touch to the street, hopefully that rumor is closer to true.

Gristle - I believe you are right about Freed's Private Service Reality moving in... I also heard that a while back. A bakery would bring a nice touch to the street, hopefully that rumor is closer to true.

Confirmed new residence of Freed’s head office for Private Service Realty LTD. With a Café next to it. No confirmation on which Café it will be. A Le Gourmand would be great though.

Confirmed new residence of Freed’s head office for Private Service Realty LTD. With a Café next to it. No confirmation on which Café it will be. A Le Gourmand would be great though.

Will they move the entire Sales and design centre? or only Private Service realty?, I mean the sales team?

Will they move the entire Sales and design centre? or only Private Service realty?, I mean the sales team?

Realty division only. But that could change due to cost efficiency. Guess we'll all see soon enough.

This weekend. More photos of the white:

4614207035_1e773101e6_b.jpg

4614206611_61c66a29aa_b.jpg

Drove by today and saw a guy with bucket of paint and a roller applying the paint.
The paint they are using is DuoChem Duroplast 200 which is an acrylic paint. http://www.duochem.com/en/pdf/index/spec/DUROPLAST200WALLCOATING.PDF
I know a bit about coatings and although the choice of an acrylic is ok, it appeared from what I saw today that there was no primer(as recommended by most and the manufacturer DuoChem) and not much surface prep of the concrete going on. I fear that the condo owners will be painting this beast for years and it is not going to be cheap and it is not going to be pretty (ie. paint droppings everywhere).

Bottom line, the use of paint in a bucket that you can buy for $100 is not really an architectural finish for a residential condo in our environment and not cool for King West. Not impressed.

It's very disappointing. The new paint looks absolutely horrible from up close in person. I can't believe that Freed would have settled for this as a final finish on a very design oriented building.

So much of the concrete looks bad due to poor forming. Now this lousy paint job.

It goes from being a grey hulking mass to being a dull white hulking mass.

Compare and contrast with 550 Wellington.

The building design looks stunning in the marketing materials, unfortunately the quality of the concrete work on this building is the worst I have ever seen in any building. Painting the concrete could only hide so much and I could see increased building maintanence.

At last night's community planning meeting, Core Architects was present and openly suggested that the concrete forming on the project was bad and they shook their heads as to what was going on with respect to the paint.
So, who are we to believe in this debacle. Did Core really specifiy an architectural finish concrete (much more expensive than regular forms) and heavy duty surface prep once the forms are removed or is Core just trying to deflect blame off them for proposing this "look" in the first place to Freed. Bottom line is that between Core and Freed, they have screwed this one up.

SpadinaBus: I agree with your characterization of (Charles Gane of) Core's admission being 'open'; my perception of that statement was that it was completely genuine as well. Having seen other fine examples of his work including his own home, I do not believe Mr. Gane could have missed that point during the building's design stage. It's up to the client to set the construction budget, so Core can specify whatever they want, but Freed ultimately paid only so much to carry out the plan.

Bus, Gristle: I'm sorry that I did not get a chance to meet either of you at the meeting, maybe next time. (I had to rush out before Dermot Sweeny was finished describing his project.) Were any others of you there?

It'll be interesting to see what action Freed takes here, if any.

At the very least, I really hope they apply what they've learned to 650 King West, which is a similar design.

I was present as well.

75 Portland got slagged for its questionable concrete workmanship.

RM

Back