Toronto Seaton House Redevelopment | 36.88m | 9s | City of Toronto | Montgomery Sisam

Is the massing were set back a bit more, the height might not be an issue; and I'll certainly reserve final judgement to proper renders.

That said, this is a very large floor plate, very close to the lot line, with a streetwall that looks straight out of Time and Space which most of us critique heavily for that.

All principally facing a side street this time as well.

I too would like to know why we need 54% more height for 20% more GFA. The footprint doesn't look like it shrank at first blush.

Considering it is a public use, and land isn't going to get more available in the core I am totally ok with large floor plates, strong streetwalls and whatnot - I am more concerned about getting the most use out of this site than being "contextual". Personally I'd prefer breaking up the mass somewhat and trading it for additional height.

AoD

Yeah I'd say this one can go as high / big as it needs to in order to provide the most social good to the people it serves. My guess is they've had to rework floor plans in response to covid and the need for more space for residents.

That's the headscratcher with this one - maybe some post-COVID design changes with all single bedrooms + bathrooms? Just a wild guess.

AoD

I'm not sure if the province has actually directed a move to fully private rooms; last I heard the directive was still to 100% semi-private ( no more ward beds) which has been the directive since the late 90s, for LTC redevelopments.

However, I do know of another proposal, not yet public, its most recent incarnation still had semi-private rooms, but did move to have one bathroom for each occupant.

I'm not sure I understand the value of spending all that extra on plumbing and not just putting people in separate rooms which has been shown to significantly reduce outbreaks.

George St Revitalization:

The City of Toronto is revitalizing the former Seaton House men's shelter on George Street to integrate services for vulnerable people and the broader community, in a new building, as part of the City’s vision for a new future of service integration. This state of the art facility will include a new long term care home, supportive housing, emergency and transitional shelter program and a Community Hub. The City anticipates completion of the project by the end of 2026. It should also be noted that through this project, the City will be reducing the number of shelter spaces at this location from nearly 600 to 230 beds, of which 100 will be emergency shelter and 130 will be transitional support for people with complex needs.

When is Seaton house construction expected to start? I had thought it was slated to be fully decommissioned as of July this year? Have the timelines changed?

Two teams selected for George Street revitalization project RFP

Aug 31, 2022

TORONTO — EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare and Bird Design-Build Construction Inc. have been invited to respond to a request for proposals (RFP) to design, build and finance the George Street Revitalization project.

The RFP was issued by the City of Toronto in consultation with Infrastructure Ontario (IO).

The George Street Revitalization Project will replace Seaton House, owned and operated by the city. The new development will act as a catalyst to rejuvenate the George Street neighbourhood and historical Garden District, states the project website. The project will be delivered using the P3 design-build-finance delivery model.

---------
Teams will now begin preparing proposals that detail how they will deliver the project. Once submissions are received, IO and the City of Toronto will evaluate the proposals, select a preferred team and then negotiate a final contract.

The successful bidder is expected to be announced in summer 2023.

Two teams selected for George Street revitalization project RFP

Aug 31, 2022

TORONTO — EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare and Bird Design-Build Construction Inc. have been invited to respond to a request for proposals (RFP) to design, build and finance the George Street Revitalization project.

The RFP was issued by the City of Toronto in consultation with Infrastructure Ontario (IO).

The George Street Revitalization Project will replace Seaton House, owned and operated by the city. The new development will act as a catalyst to rejuvenate the George Street neighbourhood and historical Garden District, states the project website. The project will be delivered using the P3 design-build-finance delivery model.

---------
Teams will now begin preparing proposals that detail how they will deliver the project. Once submissions are received, IO and the City of Toronto will evaluate the proposals, select a preferred team and then negotiate a final contract.

The successful bidder is expected to be announced in summer 2023.

Ahh, so the plan is to inflate the cost by several million dollars at least so as to take away funds for building more affordable housing.......

Egads, I'm beginning to really despise P3's. When private contractors finance development they pay considerably higher rates on their debt than government would, anywhere from 2-5% more.

On a 100M project, with a 20year amortization, that's an additional 36M in interest over the life of the project, minimum. That also presumes that the contractor isn't charging a mark-up, which, of course they would.

We're inflating project costs on the order of 50% or more by using this model.

Moving onwards.

EX11.9 - Advancing the George Street Revitalization Project - Update and Next Steps​

NOTE TO MODS: Maybe time to adjust Thread title as I think the Seaton House project is only a part of the larger project?

I see you got to this one first; it was last on my reading list from Executive.

:)

Looking at it..........the entire thing, more or less is confidential. I get some limitations on contractual disclosure; but why the public is denied a timeline, a broad cost, or what's being delivered is beyond me.

I see you got to this one first; it was last on my reading list from Executive.

:)

Looking at it..........the entire thing, more or less is confidential. I get some limitations on contractual disclosure; but why the public is denied a timeline, a broad cost, or what's being delivered is beyond me.
Considering your age advantage, it is always a pleasure to read faster than you and we should find out more once Council votes.

The confidential attachment is now public. https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2024/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-242229.pdf

The P3 seems to be dead and the project (further) delayed

The Deputy City Manager, Corporate Services recommends that:

1. City Council authorize the Deputy City Manager, Corporate Services to end the Memorandum of Understanding between the City of Toronto and Ontario Infrastructure and Lands Corporation to deliver the George Street Revitalization project using the Design-Build-Finance alternative financing and procurement (public-private partnership P3) delivery model, while continuing to leverage partnership opportunities with IO and the Province of Ontario through other City initiatives.

2. City Council direct the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, and the Chief Executive Officer, Create TO in consultation with the General Manager, Toronto Shelter and Support Services, General Manager, Senior Services and Long-Term Care, Executive Director, Housing Secretariat, and Executive Director, Social Development, Finance and Administration, to explore a City-delivered method for the George Street Revitalization project to maximize the value for money of the current approved project budget and to report back with the results to Executive Committee in the third quarter of 2024.

The confidential attachment is now public. https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2024/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-242229.pdf

The P3 seems to be dead and the project (further) delayed

The Deputy City Manager, Corporate Services recommends that:

1. City Council authorize the Deputy City Manager, Corporate Services to end the Memorandum of Understanding between the City of Toronto and Ontario Infrastructure and Lands Corporation to deliver the George Street Revitalization project using the Design-Build-Finance alternative financing and procurement (public-private partnership P3) delivery model, while continuing to leverage partnership opportunities with IO and the Province of Ontario through other City initiatives.

2. City Council direct the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, and the Chief Executive Officer, Create TO in consultation with the General Manager, Toronto Shelter and Support Services, General Manager, Senior Services and Long-Term Care, Executive Director, Housing Secretariat, and Executive Director, Social Development, Finance and Administration, to explore a City-delivered method for the George Street Revitalization project to maximize the value for money of the current approved project budget and to report back with the results to Executive Committee in the third quarter of 2024.

While I was not a fan of the P3 model here..........the shift in delivery methods puts completion ({all going well) back to 2030!

1708616008597.png

Reactions: DSC

Back