Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

With the exposed concrete ceiling, this looks like it could be the coolest supermarkets in the city. Very promising looking fittings too.

I took some pictures on Saturday night.

Is that actually the Loblaws store? It looks like what I see when I look through the top uncovered portions of windows at the northern most part of the newly installed glass sections on Church Street, closest to Wood Street. I thought, or presumed, that was the Joe Fresh area.

They've added another sign above the parking entrance, and it looks like they're getting ready to clad the main marquee on Carlton. They also had the lighting on under the canopy at Church/Carlton last night. It does bring a lot of life to a corner that was usually pretty dark after hours.

here comes the ole'timey marquee.... sorry, didnt have my camera, but hopefully someone will post a pic soon. Its either much better or worse than i expected. not sure which...

Last edited:
my uncle took this a few min ago... a new sign/logo.

he said the t&t company was there this morning delivering sushi stuff,

6385598379_b880432087_b.jpg

Is that a reproduction?

I was expecting solid blue and gold panelling for the Ryerson colours, so this is better than what I thought we were getting

Edit: That's the clearest photo of the old marquee I could find. It's definitely in the same spirit, even if it's not an exact replica. http://www.ballparks.phanfare.com/2414177#imageID=38713630 (scroll down)

Edit 2: I don't have the best eye for such things, but that sign look pretty damn close to me: http://www.canadianarchitect.com/news/cleaning-up-the-gardens/1000373630/ . I wonder if they're also going to leave spots on the ends to put up lettering for the day's event?

Last edited:
I couldn't be happier with the new marquee. I had read around 6 months ago that they were planning on re-creating the vintage marquee, and this ones a spitting image of the one from the 60s to late 80s. Its perfectly suited to the building.

Wow! That marquee is incredible. This project has stirred up a ton of excitement in me as it nears completion. I'm actually so glad that it's being incorporated into the daily life of the city... a supermarket isn't such a bad idea after all. It makes a piece of Canadian history very accessible for the public and day-to-day life. :)

With the exposed concrete ceiling, this looks like it could be the coolest supermarkets in the city. Very promising looking fittings too.

I assumed they'd do something special because its Maple Leaf Gardens and we'd get a real ceiling. Mosaic tiled ceiling, arched, sculptured, at the very least plastered. Looks like London will still be where I need to go for a posh grocery buying experience.

The design is disappointing, but the food options promise to be exceptional.

Last edited:

Back