Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

The Ryerson Student Learning Centre breaks ground. From Kristyn Wong-Tam's Facebook page today:

556741_10100215050944701_172005156_45859094_1541512896_n.jpg

Barney%20startled.jpg

If they do put the sign on Yonge street will it be lit up at night? I know the current lighting system is inefficient. Will they adjust anything with the lights?

To put them on this building would be ridiculous.

I agree but Ryerson acted in bad faith by accepting that they were only allowed to remove the SAM's signs if they would put them back on Yonge St. on the new building. It would not have required a lot of imagination to design the street level commercial façade to include the signs without ruining the aesthetic of the main building. Of course the way it was designed, the signs would look stupid but who's fault is that?

Kristyn Wong-Tam doesn't seem too concerned but she should be. I hope to see the signs back somewhere on Yonge but I'd be ok with a compromise to display them indoors somewhere in the Student Learning Centre while creating a modern LED interpretation facing Yonge St. Hiring United Visual Artists (Maple Leaf Square, Telus HQ) to put together a light show that honours the SAM's signs would not ruin the aesthetic of the glass building if small LED's were placed on the inside and then synchronized to shine a spinning records pattern on to Yonge St at night.

Throw them on on that grey battleship of a building with the AMC theatres - anything to cover the grey siding. And if they happen to face Gould, well Gould will be a more interesting street because of it. Putting them inside the Student Centre strikes me as both a distraction to the architecture and a hiding of the signs.

I can really care less about the signs. They are nothing but 'billboards' and they serve absolutely no purpose now. It would make sense if they went up above HMV or on the building itself, but anywhere else I think they would just be out of place. Maybe just keep them in a box somewhere until we find a home for the Toronto Museum?

This building can't go up quickly enough to add some life and fill in the gap here. The design looks terrific and these two corners at Gould are just so sad to walk by what with the loss of Sam's (and a few great buildings) plus the Edison Hotel on the south corner of Gould.

Yeah so sad, it would be nice to have something similar to this on the other corner

I'm willing to bet a developer is ready to pounce on the HMV property after they are done, buy the corner Edison lot and develop it. It seems a natural - no heritage issues and height likely wouldn't be a problem along here.

I'm willing to bet a developer is ready to pounce on the HMV property after they are done, buy the corner Edison lot and develop it. It seems a natural - no heritage issues and height likely wouldn't be a problem along here.

I agree. It makes sense to wait until the HMV building comes free and build something really big.

In the meantime this empty lot would be a great place to park food trucks. The City is getting ready to evict at the end of this month the Food trucks that are parked at Queen and Dalhousie because there is a bylaw against Food Trucks operating from licensed parking lots. I doubt that the city could do anything about Trucks being parked on a vacant private lot. This would be a great location because there are so many places to sit and enjoy a snack on Gould.

I agree. It makes sense to wait until the HMV building comes free and build something really big.

In the meantime this empty lot would be a great place to park food trucks. The City is getting ready to evict at the end of this month the Food trucks that are parked at Queen and Dalhousie because there is a bylaw against Food Trucks operating from licensed parking lots. I doubt that the city could do anything about Trucks being parked on a vacant private lot. This would be a great location because there are so many places to sit and enjoy a snack on Gould.
It's a good idea, but subsection 269G of the City’s licensing bylaw specifically forbids owners of licensed parking lots from letting food vendors operate on their property for more than 10 minutes at a time.

*pushes glasses up bridge of nose*

That would be amazing if they could get a couple proper food trucks into that lot. It would be a jackpot location for business.

Back