Toronto Ryerson Image Centre | ?m | 5s | Ryerson University | Diamond Schmitt

It is a fine answer. Plenty crave spectacle, just as horror vacui stalks the land and finds staunch supporters too.

This looks like a perfectly moderate, very Torontonian spectacle.

Pragmatic functionalism outfitted in a charmingly lite see-thru moderne dress, with plenty of zingy right-angled tiers to keep the eye wandering. Contextual, yet refreshing. Not unexpected, but not outrageous. Just fine.

It can be instructive to do as azzo does - search below the surface to try and locate the assumptions and preconceptions that fuel beliefs - in this case "box = dull" - in architecture. Fear of unadorned space, the quest for spectacle, the allure of certain cladding materials and not others - all sorts of things may be part of those assumptions in this bread-and-circuses entertain me world.

Rochon's recent DiCastri and Stinson article contains a quote from an architect describing Stinson and Corneil's Carleton University School of Architecture ( cement blocks 'n all ) : "When I got there I hated that building and when I left I loved that building. I think it was his best building. It was a tough building. Very didactic. It taught you everything about architecture. The idea was there's nothing to be ashamed of, nothing to hide." which rather nicely describes the process of confronting preconceived ideas and overcoming their influence and seeing what is actually there.

Good find Alvin. I too thought of Holl's museum expansion in Kansas, a very wonderful use of some beautiful contempory cladding (cladding that is unique, aesthetic pleasing and almost silk-like in appearance).

alklay:

I think that's Profilit glass - and Diamond + Schmitt had used that in their Bahen Centre as well. Don't think that's what we'll be getting at Ryerson though.

AoD

^ Another almost unquestioned assumption: "podium = good : no podium = bad"

I happen to LIKE Commerce Court West.

While it is true that podums (podia?) can improve the street-level presence of a tall building, I think that they also tend to diminish the sheer impact of a "skyscraper", linking the sky and the ground. The vertical extension of the building is interrupted before it touches the ground level.

In some cases, a podium improves the building, but far from always, in my opinion.

Alvin, again, great information. Thanks. http://www.tgpamerica.com/ has lots of information and pics. The technology/cladding can obviously be used to great effect in a number of different ways. The new rendering for the CityTV/Torch almost suggests that it too was contemplating similar materials.

(and why do you not think we will get it for this building? costs?)

alklay:

The rendering suggests unitized curtain wall (translucent glass or some sort of ceramic frit?) - Profilit is much narrower.

AoD

Yes, Mongo, that's a good one - Commerce Court West rising podium-free. The TD Centre across the street does much the same thing.

"Big lots = Bad" - that's another irritant. Some see it as almost sinful that they exist at all, but they enable unique design solutions.

With the Black Star Collection, housed in this fine building at Ryerson, opening in a couple of years, what's next I wonder? A new home for the Museum of Textiles a couple of blocks away maybe? Exciting times on campus.

Certainly a design that is badly needed at Ryerson right now.

Hopefully the night lighting won't be the blinding white in the render. I would prefer a more refined gold lighting (one of Ryerson's school colours).

Certainly a design that is badly needed at Ryerson right now.

Hopefully the night lighting won't be the blinding white in the render. I would prefer a more refined gold lighting (one of Ryerson's school colours).

both blue and gold would look nice together, flowing along the building in a wave pattern... mimicking the water in Lake Devo

I'm excited about the entrance of the building being moved to Gould St. It would give a closed Victoria-Bond section more of a "purpose".

The current Image Arts building is boxy. This renovation/expansion/replacement seems to work as a glass box.

I'm not necessarily against glass boxes, this is one place where it seems appropriate, especially as it is integrating a much older, featureless, industrial building.

Dare I say I don't mind it? Let's just hope it doesn't get watered down via "the Cheapening."

The above post features an appropriate context for the term 'The Cheapening™', and is therefore approved.

Back