Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I'd love to see grass in the dome but it sounds like it's not going to happen. Here's a much cheaper solution that I think will make it feel more like a ballpark. You could give each section in the outfield a theme to make it more attractive for fans. Put some brick on the hotel to give it a less 80s feel.
rogerscentre-small.jpg

Attachments

• rogerscentre-small.jpg
    rogerscentre-small.jpg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 28,745
I'd love to see grass in the dome but it sounds like it's not going to happen. Here's a much cheaper solution that I think will make it feel more like a ballpark. You could give each section in the outfield a theme to make it more attractive for fans. Put some brick on the hotel to give it a less 80s feel. View attachment 106127

That looks good two things I would add 1 get rid of the semetric look of the outfield by make one side shorter and the other longer and the fences different sizes as well. 2 somewhere in the outfield probably centrefield create an area where you honor retired numbers somewhat what the Yankees have, and not the current version they do of a blue board, a players name and lots of glue

That looks good two things I would add 1 get rid of the semetric look of the outfield by make one side shorter and the other longer and the fences different sizes as well. 2 somewhere in the outfield probably centrefield create an area where you honor retired numbers somewhat what the Yankees have, and not the current version they do of a blue board, a players name and lots of glue
They have looked at creating asymmetrical dimensions and it does not seem possible.........since there is nowhere to push one of the walls back, the only way to create what you are looking for would be to bring one in....and since Rogers is already one of the more hitter friendly parks in MLB, there is a concern that you would just be turning the games into a home run derby. Beeston spoke to this point on the Fan a week or so ago.

The biggest change in seating appears to be that, now that there is only one tenant, they will be able shift the lower bowl seats to a more traditional baseball config (ie. have every seat point/aim at 2nd base.

Rogers Centre isn't a hitters ballpark. It is actually fairly neutral. The Blue Jays just have had better hitting then pitching for a while now and it is the same for most AL East teams.

Why can't they push the fences back? They could just move the bullpens to CF since I would imagine they are pulling out the seats where the batters eye are. They could also pull the fences in and raise them since the fences are fairly short compared to other ballparks.

Rogers Centre isn't a hitters ballpark. It is actually fairly neutral. The Blue Jays just have had better hitting then pitching for a while now and it is the same for most AL East teams.

Prior to the Bautista/Donaldson/Tulo/Edwin years....based on the 2012/2013 data it was the 9th most batter friendly park in the major leagues according to Bleacher Report....their comment was:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2022901-ranking-mlbs-most-hitter-friendly-ballparks-by-the-numbers said:
A symmetrical ballpark with reachable porches down the lines and not-too-imposing power alleys make Rogers Centre one of the more hitter-friendly venues in baseball, consistently landing it in the top 10 in home runs and doubles when compared to its counterparts around the game.

Why can't they push the fences back? They could just move the bullpens to CF since I would imagine they are pulling out the seats where the batters eye are. They could also pull the fences in and raise them since the fences are fairly short compared to other ballparks.

1. I doubt there is room in the area of that centre field seating (the blacked out seating I presume you mean)
2. even if you could do that.....how far could you push the seats back? 15ft? any more and you have seats overhanging the field of play.

same issue with raising fences....you really can't go too much higher before you are losing seats (ie. revenue).

The Rogers Centre is difficult to configure. Pulling the fences inwards would lead to Chinese home runs (and the current field dimensions are already hitter-friendly). The Rogers Centre shouldn't be another Polo Grounds, infamous for its Chinese home runs. Oh, and they would probably be called Spadina home runs instead. Pushing the fences outwards would mean loss of seats. The batter's eye can have a fountain, just like in Angel Stadium and in Kauffman Stadium I believe.

They can make it seem more asymmetrical without changing the fence. With the rotating seats removed they could put stacked bullpens in the right field bleachers or a tired patio seating section in the left. Varying the size of the foul territory could help the look. Rotating the diamond to put the hotel in left field would really shake things up.

They can make it seem more asymmetrical without changing the fence. With the rotating seats removed they could put stacked bullpens in the right field bleachers or a tired patio seating section in the left. Varying the size of the foul territory could help the look. Rotating the diamond to put the hotel in left field would really shake things up.
rather than shake things up...rotating the diamond to put the hotel in left field would first mean tearing things up and then rebuilding a significant portion of the stadium......keep in mind, anything done to Rogers Centre has to be done between late October and late March.

From CBC News:

Toronto architect Mark Berest — a principal at B+S Architects who has worked on several stadium projects, including Regina's Mosaic Stadium — knows what he would do with the Rogers Centre.

Berest would start by "invigorating" the space outside the stadium, "bringing more retail, more parkland, more development… making connections to other public spaces, maybe even to [nearby Lake Ontario]."

"Those things are very important to the vitality," he says. "You can see with the Air Canada Centre, what the Raptors [and Maple Leafs] have done outside and how that's working so well in terms of those public spaces."

The challenge for the Blue Jays is that the team owns very little of the land surrounding the dome.

Still, they say that space is part of the renovation plans.

"That is definitely one of the things we've talked about, the journey of how fans get to the ballpark," says Sebastian Gatica, the Blue Jays' VP of fan engagement. "Some just want to come in. For others it's an event, a social thing."

"We've done research to see who our fans really are, their habits, their rituals. This is a fan-centric project to enhance their experience."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-rogers-centre-future-1.4079505

AoD

rather than shake things up...rotating the diamond to put the hotel in left field would first mean tearing things up and then rebuilding a significant portion of the stadium......keep in mind, anything done to Rogers Centre has to be done between late October and late March.
The lower bowl is going to get replaced-that's more than doable in a single off season. The 200-500 levels wouldn't be affected by a shift.

I wonder how far $200-450 million will go.

It seems like the renovations at Progressive field have been around $100 million to this date ($150 million was invested into upgrading BMO Field)- and the renovations at the Rogers Centre will need to be far more substantial- I think we'll be seeing far more happening to the inside of the stadium (realigning the seating, upgrades to the field, more retail, concourse upgrades, etc.) than to the facade or roof.

A comparative $400 million renovation for a NFL stadium:

Every seat in Sun Life Stadium has been replaced, complete with a fresh take on the concourse experience in the 100 and 300 levels. As part of a two-year $400 million renovation process, all the seats were ripped out of the stadium, and the lower bowl was regraded to bring the new aqua seats 24 feet closer to the field.

The venue drops from 76,000 seats to just over 65,300 and creates new “seating experiences” for different levels of ticket holders.

HOK architect Jeff Sittner tells SI.com that remodeling the seating bowl, which was originally designed for baseball and football, included redesigning the sideline to bring seats lower and closer to the field and removing upper bowl corner sections for “gathering zones that are open to the action.”

Away from the seats, fans will find new concessions and amenities on the 100 and 300 level concourses as part of this HOK-led redesign.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/17/nfl-stadium-renovations-dolphins-49ers-browns-titans-panthers

Last edited:
Was it this new paving treatment that was put in over the winter? Or is this already old?

DSC09494.jpg
DSC09499.jpg

NEWISH • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • OLDISH

Attachments

• DSC09494.jpg
    DSC09494.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 1,932
  • DSC09499.jpg
    DSC09499.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 1,842

Back