Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

The CN Tower was built at a time when people weren't afraid of strong colour. It seems appropriate that some is added, especially since we're in the middle of the greyest period in Toronto's recent history.

Yeah, the Soviet sensibilities of architects at the time really cheer me up:
St_James_Town1.jpg

Given the overall size of the sign, the actual name "ripley's" seems way too small.
You'd think that would be most prominent!

I walked by there the other night. Like the looks of the new CN Tower entrance. Thought the aquarium looked a bit smaller than I imagined it might be. It also looked quite a few months away from completion. Is it supposed to open this summer?

Poured concrete planters tend to look cheap, and people generally sit on cold, hard concrete as a last resort.

What street furniture isn't cold and hard? Were you expecting heated cushions? This is a great place for a congregation point with a 50,000+ seat stadium next door. I think the planters/benches are great.

Last edited:
Poured concrete planters tend to look cheap, and people generally sit on cold, hard concrete as a last resort.

Yet if you look at the picture, 8 people are sitting on the concrete, while only 2 people are sitting on the wooden benches. One group of those sitting on the concrete are a few steps away from a bench too.

Yet if you look at the picture, 8 people are sitting on the concrete, while only 2 people are sitting on the wooden benches. One group of those sitting on the concrete are a few steps away from a bench too.

Yes but I get his point at least aesthetically ...

The base of the maple leaf gardens / telus had similar planters, but they fitted the stop with pieces of black stone (months after it finishes) and it looks much better now !

The group is sitting on the planters because the benches couldn't accommodate them sitting together. Wood is more comfortable to sit on than concrete. Concrete only tends to look decent in the first 1-2 years when it has that sculptural, "fresh" look. After that, it tends to look generic and dirty.

Back