Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

I'm excited about the aquarium but the scenery does look a little like something you would find in Big Al's. I won't judge until I visit, but I hope it isn't gimmicky as well.

Today:

q9Gbyce.jpg

xt0Rrcm.jpg

sVmuKnt.jpg

Thanks for the pile of updates today sMT.

Love the red and blue glass on the new CN pavilion. I think that's going to become quite the interesting and lively place. Leaps and bounds better than what existed before.

Thanks for the pix update. It seems like there has bee little or no progress the past 3 weeks. The roof and side are still notnearly completed.

They added the Ripley's Aquarium signage on Front Street, there is also that orange glass addition to the CN tower base. Lots of progress compared to the last update

agreed...who wants to look through a giant bright red or blue sheet of glass, or bask in that light? Hopefully it is a film that can be removed once it is discovered to be a mistake.

Not that it makes it any better, but the glass is orange - not red. It looks like an orange tic-tac container got blown up by a bumbling Rick Moranis

No doubt its a great addition but looks a bit too cheezy for me. Choice in coloured glass is probably more suited for Clifton Hill.

Cheese-factor aside, it isnt blue, green or concrete coloured,it isn't construction hoarding and it is located south of the tracks! Rare.

I would say so. It's not always about size. In addition to being an aquarium, it's is a centre for marine research, conservation and marine animal rehabilitation. Unlike Ripley's which is basically marine life in tanks. The Vancouver aquarium also created the 'Ocean Wise' program there - you see it on menu's all over the city. Sustainable seafood options identified by the aquarium and supported by the local restaurant industry.

That's what I hope this aquarium will be in some respects as well, marine research for the Universities in the GTA. Though I do have some worries, the other Ripley's aquariums that exist can be best described as mediocre from what I've seen.

I am looking forward to it. Toronto needs a big aquarium and you'd be stupid to complain about 200 new jobs. People always find something to complain about though. You learn that quickly on this forum :)

As tacky as it may be (It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be), at least there's something for kids/families in this part of the city. We all love the idea of streets with bars, cafes, and independant shops but if we want people to live downtown, there has to be establishment that cater to everyone. My sister actually lived in CityPlace for a while and had her first child there. Imagine raising a child in this area, you have to go all the way to Scarborough to visit the Zoo, Don Mills and Eg for the OSC, and then to the burbs for other 'family' attractions. While it wasn't terrible, especially since at the beginning they don't do much but sleep and poop, she made the choice to move to a house a little further out from the core.

Back