Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

I still find it hard to believe there's nowhere on the waterfront for an Aquarium. How could Ontario Place turn it down? It seems like the perfect fit!

I'm not going to knock Ripley's, as such companies and buildings have their purpose. This just isn't the place for it. What's next? Madame Tussauds at the base of the Four Seasons Centre? Philosophers Walk transformed into a Clifton Hill tribute?

The base of the CN Tower should be unique, connected and celebrate the city and the tower. A novelty aquarium just doesn't cut it.

Build a bridge to the Toronto Islands and place the aquarium there. I would like to see the island airport turned into a beautiful park.

What's next? Madame Tussauds at the base of the Four Seasons Centre?

In Amsterdam, the Madame Tussauds is next to the Royal Palace. (The royal family don't actually live at the palace but still...)

In my opinion, the measure of an aquarium is the impressiveness of the main tank. Due to advances in technology for acrylic, the newer the aquarium, generally the more impressive the new tank. Larger bowed windows, tunnels, etc.

I've been to the aquariums in Boston, Baltimore, Osaka and Enoshima, Japan. The Enoshima acquarium wasn't the biggest but easily the most impressive for me because it's the newest which meant that it has the best main tank. The building itself is basically a giant box though.

No one is going to donate $250 million for a landmark aquarium like they did for the Aquarium of Georgia and I don't see any levels of government kicking in big bucks. I'm not holding out hope of a landmark building ever occuring on the waterfront for an aquarium.

Can't get taller? Go deeper (Toronto Star)

Can't get taller? Go deeper

Plans to build a massive aquarium at base of CN Tower `a real go,' city says

Paul Moloney
city hall bureau

If you can't beat 'em, add water.

A proposal by tourism operator Ripley's to build a major aquarium at the base of the CN Tower – which took a drubbing in the highest-tourist-perch competition this week with the opening of the monstrous Burj Khalifa – is working its way through city hall.

Observers of perennial plans for such an attraction, repeatedly raised and sunk over the years, could be forgiven for wondering whether this is just another fishy plan. But – believe it or not! – this one's the real thing, observers say.

The facility would become the city's first major new attraction since the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1993, and a consolation prize of sorts for the CN Tower, which still gets 2 million visitors a year.

Orlando-based Ripley's, which already has aquariums in Myrtle Beach, S.C., and Gatlinburg, Tenn., had looked at Exhibition Place several years ago in response to a city request for proposals there, but felt the tower would be a better site.

"It's big," said Gordon McIvor, vice-president of Canada Lands Company, the federal agency that owns the tower and the 1.2 hectares of vacant land at its base.

"The CN Tower is statistically the most trafficked man-made tourist facility in Canada," McIvor said. "You've got a built-in international audience as well as a lot of schoolchildren. Obviously, an aquarium has a huge academic audience."

Ripley's proposed development would see an aquarium encompassing up to 150,000 square feet on the east side of the tower and a 50,000-square-foot retail and restaurant complex on the west side.

The proposal has been filed with the city, and politicians will begin reviewing the plans next week.

"We've always wanted to bring a world-class aquarium to Toronto," said Ripley's spokesman Tim O'Brien. "This is a great opportunity for us. We love the Canadian market. We feel very confident that we will get over the hurdles we need to overcome and get this project started."

Canada Lands would lease the land to Ripley, McIvor said.

"Basically, we view this as a very effective way to stimulate the local economy with a huge new infrastructure project," he said. "Building an aquarium on underutilized land at the base of the CN Tower is going to create jobs in the local tourism sector and spur increased visitors to the city's other attractions, and the hotels and restaurants."

The project is being well received at city hall.

"This looks like it's a real go," said Councillor Adam Vaughan, who represents the area. "It's an area that has a great deal of capacity for that, and we're excited about it."

After being presented to community council Tuesday, the plan goes to a community consultation meeting at the CN Tower on Jan. 25, and is expected to reach city council by mid-year.

"Overall, the city is pretty pleased with the application," said city planner Sarah Phipps.

"We think it's a good location. It's a good match with the CN Tower, the Roundhouse Park and the Rogers Centre."

If council gives its approval, it would take a couple of years to build the aquarium, McIvor said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/747255--can-t-get-taller-go-deeper

For those interested, there's a planning meeting to discuss the proposal. From Adam Vaughan's January Newsletter
Railway Lands Planning Meeting

Date: Monday January 25, 2010
Time: 6:30 – 8:30 pm
Location: CN Tower, Maple Leaf Cinema (located in the base of the CN Tower)

There will be presentations about the following projects:

- Aquarium proposal at base of CN Tower
- Block 7B (NE corner of Bremner Blvd and Lower Simcoe St.)
- Update on Roundhouse Park improvements

also note, the Fairmont site is being discussed as well

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Ripley's, and ideally I'd like a larger facility, but as a fan of aquariums and marine life in general, I'm really excited about the possibility of this thing actually getting built.

200,000 sf?

The media is very misleading about this project. Some are reporting it will be 200,000 square feet but what they are doing is taking the aquarium and adding the 50,000 square foot retail portion on the west side of the CN Tower. Shouldn't they be reporting them as separate buildings? They are making it seem much more impressive than it is.
Another thing, if you compare pics of the main tanks of major aquariums VS Ripley's main fish tanks, you will clearly see the size and quality of the Ripley's tanks, are not nearly as impressive. It's not just about the size and design of the structure but the quality of the fish tanks inside. The Ripley tanks are just not as large or impressive as the other major aquariums. So clearly, this will not be a first rate aquarium. Is second a rate aquarium better than nothing?

The media is very misleading about this project. Some are reporting it will be 200,000 square feet but what they are doing is taking the aquarium and adding the 50,000 square foot retail portion on the west side of the CN Tower. Shouldn't they be reporting them as separate buildings? They are making it seem much more impressive than it is.
Another thing, if you compare pics of the main tanks of major aquariums VS Ripley's main fish tanks, you will clearly see the size and quality of the Ripley's tanks, are not nearly as impressive. It's not just about the size and design of the structure but the quality of the fish tanks inside. The Ripley tanks are just not as large or impressive as the other major aquariums. So clearly, this will not be a first rate aquarium. Is second a rate aquarium better than nothing?

Yes, a second-rate aquarium is better than nothing. But I don't know how you can jump to the conclusion that this will be second-rate simply by comparing pictures. Have you ever been to a Ripley's aquarium or are you just looking for ways to shit on this project? Hardly air tight logic.

Can't we just wait and see before declaring this a disaster? This is a high-profile project for Ripley's, so I wouldn't expect them to half-ass it. And even if they do give us a "second-rate" aquarium (which will be the 5th largest on the continent) I'll still gladly enjoy all the wonders inside while you stand outside crying about it.

Last edited:

Compare the outside of the aquariums in terms of architectural design, quality and size.

aquariums2.jpg

By torontovibe at 2010-01-

And for what it's worth, here are what looks to be renderings of the fish tanks of Ripley's and Georgia Aquarium.
(Couldn't find decent pics of the real thing)

aquariums1n.jpg

By torontovibe at 2010-01-07

Obviously, I'm of the opinion, "Go big, or go home". I just see Toronto becoming a great city and I want to see quality attractions that are appropriate to our aspirations. We're not Canada's second city anymore. I think we should strive for the best, not a second or third rate Ripley's. (an entertainment aquarium, as opposed to an educational one) It's like comparing the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago to Marineland in NF.

Last edited:
That last image brings to mind a scene in the documentary film about Leni Riefenstahl where, dressed in scuba gear, she molests and scares the life out of a killer sting ray.

Ripley's Myrtle Beach aquarium is 85,000 sq. ft. and the one in Gatlinburg is 115,000 sq. ft. The Vancouver Aquarium is 100,000 sq. ft. Toronto's will be 150,000 sq. ft., making it the fifth largest aquarium on the continent.

Some reviews from Trip Advisor, in order of highest ranking to lowest:

Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies: 4.5 stars

Georgia Aquarium: 3.5 stars

Shedd Aquarium: 3.5 stars

Vancouver Aquarium: 3.5 stars

Ripley's Aquarium of Myrtle Beach: 3 stars

As far as your average tourist is concerned, it's not automatic that Ripley's = second rate.

Last edited:
Picture one of those beauties at the base of the CN Tower. This could be a disaster.

How could Ontario Place turn it down?...The base of the CN Tower should be unique, connected and celebrate the city and the tower. A novelty aquarium just doesn't cut it.

Ontario Place is so far out of the way and at best a seasonal attraction, tourists would not venture there simply to see an aquarium. By placing it at the apex of the tourism industry, you are attracting walk-ups and making it a visible presence.

In 30 years they haven't found a better use for the land below the CN Tower, they might as well give this a try. Its sure more exciting than the mini-putt they used to have. This is a perfect example of infill development.

Picture one of those beauties at the base of the CN Tower. This could be a disaster.

Why are you picturing those "beauties" at the base of the CN Tower when a rendering of the project has already been released? Are you looking for disasters?

Last edited:

Back