Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

An outfit called Decorative Carpets Inc. have been carpeting the chain all over the world, so perhaps they're responsible for the RitzCarltonGumbytower's startlingly icky floor coverings, which pay no heed to the scale of the rooms or the architectural features they collide with.

with my camera

sany0005e.jpg

From Centennial Hill

RitzfromCentennial.jpg

wow ,....amazing pic, would like to see the whole skyline from there.

Thanks - unfortunately a lot of the core is blocked from Centennial Hill by ugly commie block towers along the East and West Mall.

Outside looks good! I can't wait till January to see those finished interiors. Ritz is going to have no trouble filling those hotel rooms, This will be the first 5 star large scale hotel in the city

Ritz has rooms available for the summer. Rates starting at $435 a night and $505 for a club floor room! valet parking is $40 a day. They also have guest rooms with Walkout Patio's. Any idea where these rooms are located?

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/Toronto/Default.htm

Those rooms would have to be on the north side on the floor right above the ballroom podium and only that floor on that side. There is no where else you could have walkouts from the rooms, the freakin' windows don't even open.

Another one by me

sany0005ut.jpg

label attached
Ritz Carlton Hotel - 5 Star Hotel Under-construction in Toronto, Canada
212 Meters
TOPPEDOUT
Wellington West - Entertainment District

Those rooms would have to be on the north side on the floor right above the ballroom podium and only that floor on that side. There is no where else you could have walkouts from the rooms, the freakin' windows don't even open.

It's bad enough having a hotel room with non opening windows , i can't imagine owning a multi million dollar condo with windows that don't bloody open!!!

It's bad enough having a hotel room with non opening windows , i can't imagine owning a multi million dollar condo with windows that don't bloody open!!!

I agree. And no balconies either. You can't get any fresh air.
For over $1mill, I would hope to get this. I don't think a number of the purchasers realized this or have lived in apartments/condos and will be unpleasantly suprised. It is different if you go on vacation for a week or 2 vs. actually living with theses constraints.

I think people just bought into the "Ritz name". This is in fact why I preferred the Shangrila. At least there are balconies and opening balcony doors to allow fresh air.

Each residence has individually controlled,two speed,independent fresh air and exhaust system. Plus, direct access to the path system.

Shangri-La doesn"t have direct Access!!!

Ritz has a seperate Gym for residents too!!Shangr-ila NO!

Enwave equipped!! Less traffic, noise street with park in front and back.

10 foot ceilings,(9 foot Shang)only 152 condos compared with close to 400 at Shangri-la,private elevators for most residences at ritz,stand by generator for residence for AC and elevators.

Last edited:
Each residence has individually controlled,two speed,independent fresh air and exhaust system. Plus, direct access to the path system.

Shangri-La doesn"t have direct Access!!!

Ritz has a seperate Gym for residents too!!Shangr-ila NO!

Enwave equipped!! Less traffic, noise street with park in front and back.

10 foot ceilings,(9 foot Shang)only 152 condos compared with close to 400 at Shangri-la,private elevators for most residences at ritz,stand by generator for residence for AC and elevators.

I think I hit a nerve. I am gathering you are a purchaser in Ritz. If so, congratulations on your purchase.

Sorry. I did not mean to insult anyone. We obviously have different tastes/priorities.

There is access across the street to the Path. Panels are being put in for future access to Path but you are right there is no access yet though there is across the street. Who knows, it may never get built but my suspicion is it will. I think even in the dead of winter I could survive the 100 feet outside to enter in the near term.

10 foot ceilings is a big advantage. True. that cannot be changed and I think Shangrila should have been 10 feet.Definately point to the Ritz on that.

I bought a smaller unit (at 1100 sq.ft but I have a 200 sq. ft. balcony terrace facing West which I am sure will brighten up the condo) and I am not sure that size of condo exists in the Ritz. I believe they are larger and hence a higher price point/maintenance point.

The Ritz is more classical in design, the Shangrila more open with common living room/dining room and kitchens. Some will prefer one design and others the other. Personally, given the size of the Ritz condos, I think the seperate kitchen is more desirable but with my smaller unit, not desirable.

Less units but condo fees estimated to be quite a bit lower in Shangrila (54 cents/sq. ft.vs. Ritz(I believe 80 cents/sq.ft but may be wrong. (comparing the residences though the Estates are closer to Ritz(74 cents) We will see if estimates hold however and maybe Shangrila will approach the Ritz.

Otherwise, I just think it is interesting that Shangrila is actually I believe from my sources selling quite well and just had a recent 8% price increase in the present market and not offering incentives.

I am not sure if that is the case with the Ritz though that may be because they are closer to completion with the Ritz in construction timing and further down the road Shangrila may well offer incentives. Or maybe as you feel the Ritz is just a better deal.

Personally, I prefer the location of Shangrila but that is individual and I admit that.

However, I believe the absolute lack of a balcony and the inability to open up a window or door was a big mistake and for me would make the Ritz a place I would visit and stay at but not a home. Again, this is just my opinion. Obviously all the Ritz buyers felt differently. The funny thing about a balcony is you don't miss until its not there. And that's even if you just want to go out and get some fresh air for a minute once a year. Again, it may not be important to you toskier. I just feel that was a design mistake.

Perhaps as proof that outdoor terraces and space are sought after is the quite significant premium that terraces fetch in Toronto.

I suspect we will have a very decent gym through the spa area of the 5 star hotel. Do I care if someone from the hotel is using the gym? Not really. Will I even know that it was a resident or a hotel guest. To me it's not a real issue but I would grant you if you gave me the choice, maybe I would choose the exclusive gym.

Interestingly, since we are talking about projects: Trump will have even taller ceilings I believe and yet it represents no desire for me personally though I am sure it will be spectacular. Finally 4Seasons will likely be the creme de la creme but one is paying dearly for this priviledge.

Anyhow, if you did buy: congratulations again. Clearly we have different opinions and I think the real tell tale sign issue will be what happens in a few years when both buildings have been up. Time will tell which features people will value most and also how well will Shangrila perform in North America. Ritz is better known here for sure.

Back