Toronto Residences at the RCMI Condos | 134.72m | 42s | Tribute | Zeidler

It's a nice looking tower, but they way they "preserved" that heritage building is awkward at best.

Yep. This is a good example why i don't want the warehouse facades preserved for the Mirvish+Gehry towers. It will look just as awkward if not worse!

Yep. This is a good example why i don't want the warehouse facades preserved for the Mirvish+Gehry towers. It will look just as awkward if not worse!

Well I'm not going to get into that debate, or even speculate on what could have been done differently here. But in general, heritage buildings can be incorporated into new projects in a way that improves both and isn't awkward. There are plenty of examples of that around Toronto. A good architect works with the constraints of the site and that includes heritage buildings.

Appears to be 10 or so floors occupied when I walked by at night yesterday... Seems like the move in has started.

A worker told me that there are delays with the RCMI space (first 7 floors) as a pipe burst this winter causing a lot of water damage that set work back a fair bit. He said some of the rooms are "grand"... interested to see how these floors turn out.

Appears to be 10 or so floors occupied when I walked by at night yesterday... Seems like the move in has started.

A worker told me that there are delays with the RCMI space (first 7 floors) as a pipe burst this winter causing a lot of water damage that set work back a fair bit. He said some of the rooms are "grand"... interested to see how these floors turn out.

There's a bunch of units for lease so I guess people have moved in.

DSCN4255_zps1fe55b25.jpg

Global House is great.

And by a good local architectural firm too...WZMH.

And it isn't 70's or 80's...it's 60's.

A good architect works with the constraints of the site and that includes heritage buildings.

Defining the constraints is the trick. In some cases that means working around heritage buildings, in other cases a clean slate better serves the public interest. Much of what has been done on lower Jarvis is great (Ballet School) and all of Munk's work around UofT. In the case of M+G I'd like to see a clean slate - no constraints.

I was riding the streetcar the other day and noticed the street wall and buildings from Simcoe to the old playhouse are beautiful, and I'm glad they are preserved. But then things deteriorate badly west of that where M&G is planned. A good architect would push hard for his vision. A sell-out architect would say 'sure I'll façade anything you like, if you give me density above it..."

Back