Toronto Residences at the RCMI Condos | 134.72m | 42s | Tribute | Zeidler

The Tribute Communities website, which shows their previous work, suggests that the Institute's neo-Classical facade might be used as a justification for 44 storeys of spectacular cheddintonista excess.

I would be perversely delighted if, in a tremendous 'f__k you' to the cult of facadectomies and faux-retro, somebody hired Michael Graves to design a 44 storey condo shaped like a Bay and Gable house with no less than a 15-storey isoceles triangle mimicking the steeply-pitched rooflines of Toronto Victoriana.

We could even use imitation tar shingles the size of cars.

Then, in one final gesture, we could transplant the facade of the military institute 30 floors up like a Venetian balcony.

Sorry, Alvin, facadectomies have always hit a nerve with me.

Another option is doing a facadectomy but turning the entire facade upside-down during the reconstruction. Walking by every day, it would get the average citizen really thinking about what an architectural crime it is and possibly turn the tide.

Hipster:

No arguments re: facadectomy there - especially when it's a 2s attached to a what, 40s tower. Awkward would be an understatement.

I still think they should move the structure somewhere. Bookend the south side of Grange Park, on axis with the Grange, perhaps?

AoD

^re: upside-down facade

It is an idea so malevolently ironic, that even this handlebar moustache wearing, Labatt 50-sipping, Vice magazine-reading hipster duck gets cold feet (of the dim sum Fung Zao variety) just thinking about it.

---

I'm not sure I'd move the building because I don't particularly care for the design of the Military club, actually. Either keep it as it is, or tear it down, if needed, but a facadectomy is, we would agree, the worst of both possible worlds.

^re: upside-down facade

It is an idea so malevolently ironic, that even this handlebar moustache wearing, Labatt 50-sipping, Vice magazine-reading hipster duck gets cold feet (of the dim sum Fung Zao variety) just thinking about it.

---

I'm not sure I'd move the building because I don't particularly care for the design of the Military club, actually. Either keep it as it is, or tear it down, if needed, but a facadectomy is, we would agree, the worst of both possible worlds.

HP - I like it!!! so wonderfully perverse!!!

Its since been lost in a wash of posts but awhile back someone photoshopped a new Bay/Adelade which was the best facadectomy I've ever seen. The building being operated on was tilted and while the post was surely a joke, it actually seemed kinda cool. I'm off to hunt for this but if anyone finds it before me please post away! Its in the BA thread I'm pretty sure.

An annoying detail: "...along University, which is heavily occupied by institutional buildings such as embassies and hospitals..."

I don't think there is a single embassy in Toronto, let alone University Ave.
There are consulate offices for every major country in Toronto and in fact the
US consulate office is on University Avenue.

But a consulate is a very different thing from an embassy.

Not really. They perform many of the same functions. The words are often interchanged. However, technically the "US Embassy" is in Ottawa which has some greater roles than the Consulate offices. I suppose that was BobBob's peeve but I think we all understood what the writer was trying to convey.

That was indeed the essence of the peeve. Sure, we understood what he meant, but that's hardly good enough. He's supposed to be a journalist.

Not really. They perform many of the same functions. The words are often interchanged. However, technically the "US Embassy" is in Ottawa which has some greater roles than the Consulate offices. I suppose that was BobBob's peeve but I think we all understood what the writer was trying to convey.

Yes, really. They don't perform the same functions at all. An embassy supports the work of the Ambassador, who is the emissary from one head of state to another, charged with furthering her country's interesets in the country in which she is assigned. A consulate is an office from a foreign country which is limited to providing certain kinds of assistance to citizens of the host country. Consular offices may be located in embassy buildings, but their work is separate and distinct.

Anyway, calling it "consulate row" wouldn't even be very accurate - there's more of them in North York than on University.

Even if the front of this building was flipped upside-down and stuck back as a facade who would notice the mistake?

Back