News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto Reference Library Renovation (Moriyama + Teshima)

Funny how U of T has taken over both the old Central Library and the Toronto District School Board's old headquarters.

Don't worry Condovo, I sympathize with you. Anytime someone posts pictures of grand projects around the world they are contantly called amateur and guilty of reading too many design magazines. Your only pointing out that Canadians should hope for more and maybe something inspiring. Personally i've never visited or wanted to go to the TRL. From the pictures I've seen it looks very clinical and sterile and not inviting at all. Now if we had something like Seattle's, I would visit it just as a place of relaxation and curiosity and I'm sure many others would as well for the same purpose.

Having been there a number of times, I can't say I've ever found it clinical or sterile. Sometimes pictures don't do a place/person justice and this might be one of those instances.

I spent a LOT of time there in my college years, and I thought it was more than fine. A great feast for my eyes inside -- and the architecture was quite nice, too!

It's amazing how different a building can be inside from out. I love the interior, but hate this building with a passion from the outside. I was hoping the renovation would have entailed more dramatic changes to the exterior.

The cube is an absolute mistake and should be dropped from the plan. I am however, afraid that this is a move by Moriyama's son, so it will be considered a legacy move by Moriyama and Teshima.

p5

I spent much of my high school life there and always found it warm and cosy inside. Still do, in fact.

Indeed; how can an interior inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright at his most womblike (and with nonstop 70s-style wall-to-wall carpeting, yet) be deemed "cold and sterile"?

Just a quick pic to bump this thread, as the renovations are well underway.

The front doors are closed as they prepare to build the giant cube, and the overhangs along Yonge St. are all boarded up as they work to bring the glass out to the edge of the building.

4804320321_ee5a2be487_b.jpg

Will be curious to see how this turns out...

- J.

I would be comforting to know that the renovation dollars being spent has taken into consideration the way the world is moving to a digital book format.

I would be comforting to know that the renovation dollars being spent has taken into consideration the way the world is moving to a digital book format.
Toronto libraries have never been busier (North America's busiest in fact) and play a much larger role in their communities than just being a source to "take out a book."

Back