News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 949     1 

Toronto recommissions the Salmon Run Fountain

Yeah, Adam Vaughan provided what seems to be the deal on Twitter the other day.
I'm not sure how this gels with what the City is saying, though...

1689693638548.png

It was built quickly more than 30 years ago (when obviously it was not Rogers building it) and now needs a rebuild. Seems like a fine mess the city is stuck with.

View attachment 493011

It was built quickly more than 30 years ago (when obviously it was not Rogers building it) and now needs a rebuild. Seems like a fine mess the city is stuck with.

In my posts above, I will note that the City disputes that assertion. The claim the fountain works fine, they just turned it off.

I take issue w/what they said, as can be seen in my post above..............but....

In my posts above, I will note that the City disputes that assertion. The claim the fountain works fine, they just turned it off.

I take issue w/what they said, as can be seen in my post above..............but....

Yeah, the whole discussion is VERY Toronto.
I can't even decide whose story is more plausible. What's not in dispute is that it's a very prominent eyesore and fixing it should be a priority.

How is a person supposed to stand back and properly admire the statue of Ted Rogers with this right over their shoulder?!

Yeah, the whole discussion is VERY Toronto.
I can't even decide whose story is more plausible. What's not in dispute is that it's a very prominent eyesore and fixing it should be a priority.

How is a person supposed to stand back and properly admire the statue of Ted Rogers with this right over their shoulder?!

Its being cleaned right now. They should be done by 2'ish.

View attachment 493011

I don't understand this statement. Clearly someone turned the water off, so clearly it could also be turned back on.

If I recall, the issue with it was that it leaks into the parking garage below it?

The spokesperson noted that the work was delayed due to the pandemic and pending construction of FlyOver Canada, a new entertainment complex in the area, which isn’t slated for completion until next year.

“Planned construction of this complex required a shut down of water supplies in the immediate area, affecting the ability of the Salmon Run public art fountain to be activated,” the city spokesperson said.

I don't understand this statement. Clearly someone turned the water off, so clearly it could also be turned back on.

If I recall, the issue with it was that it leaks into the parking garage below it?

Agreed, it all makes no sense, it DID leak into the garage but the City (supposedly) fixed that about 5 years ago and why was water to a PUBLIC fountain turned off by a PRIVATE company?

Agreed, it all makes no sense, it DID leak into the garage but the City (supposedly) fixed that about 5 years ago and why was water to a PUBLIC fountain turned off by a PRIVATE company?
Well, ultimately all private property is serviced by public water pipe. I can possibly see a reason for a need to do it. Perhaps new infrastructure to accommodate the development? It doesn't exactly explain how long it has been shutdown though.

Well, ultimately all private property is serviced by public water pipe. I can possibly see a reason for a need to do it. Perhaps new infrastructure to accommodate the development? It doesn't exactly explain how long it has been shutdown though.

To take this out a bit further.

Can anyone imagine the City shutting down water to an office building for 3 years because the site next door is under construction?

To a condo?

Yeah, me neither; shouldn't happen to a fountain either.

Close the valve, do what's needed (excavate around it, relocate it, upsize it etc etc.); then turn it back on.

Back