Toronto RBC WaterPark Place III | 140.2m | 30s | Oxford Properties | WZMH

I will yawn and shake my head disapprovingly at the above rendering.

Gee, it beats nothing and an empty lot..i know people will say the design sucks and its better to wait say 5-10 years for something better.
But hey right now with a vulnerable economy, it creates jobs and keeps us rolling through these tough times.

As noted above, this is coming to Committee on Adjustment in mid-September:

85 HARBOUR ST
File Number: A0428/11TEY Zoning CR T8.0 C2.3 R5.7 (PPR)
Owner(s): CPP INVESTMENT BOARD
REAL ESTATE HOLDINGS
INC & 85 HARBOUR STREET
HOLDINGS INC
[
Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
(28)
Agent: CARL BLANCHAER
Property Address: 85 HARBOUR ST Community:
Legal Description: PLAN 640E PT BLKS A, B, C RP 66R15257 PART 5 RP 66R15685 PARTS 1 TO
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To modify the redevelopment plan that was approved under By-law 255-69, as amended by By-laws 508-84 and
874-2002, by constructing a 30-storey office building with a seven-storey podium, three levels of below grade
parking and retail on the first and second floors.
REQUESTED VARIANCES TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
1. Section 2(1.1)(a)(i), By-law 255-69, as amended by By-laws 508-84 and 874-2002
The maximum permitted gross floor area for the office component is 55 044 m².
The proposed gross floor area for the office component is 75 288 m².
2. Section 2(1.1)(a)(ii), By-law 255-69, as amended by By-laws 508-84 and 874-2002
The maximum permitted gross floor area for the retail component is 2260 m².
The proposed gross floor area for the retail component is 6484 m².
3. Section 2(1.1)(c)(i), By-law 255-69, as amended by By-laws 508-84 and 874-2002
The minimum required setback from the south (Queens Quay) lot line is 7.62 m.
The canopy will be located 3.75 m from the south (Queens Quay) lot line.
4. Section 2(1.1)(c)(ii), By-law 255-69, as amended by By-laws 508-84 and 874-2002
The minimum required setback from the north (Harbour Street) lot line is 4.57 m.
The canopy will be located 2.16 m from the north (Harbour Street) lot line.
5. Section 2(1.1)(c)(ii), By-law 255-69, as amended by By-laws 508-84 and 874-2002
The maximum permitted setback from the north (Harbour Street) lot line is 4.57 m.
The building will be located 6.16 m from the north (Harbour Street) lot line.
6. Section 2(1.1)(c)(v), By-law 255-69, as amended by By-laws 508-84 and 874-2002
A minimum of 50% (53.46 m) of the aggregate length of the front wall facing Queens Quay to abut "streetrelated
retail and service uses" is required to be provided.
The proposed aggregate length of the front wall facing Queens Quay to abut "street-related retail and
service uses" will equal 45% (45.7 m).
7. Section 2(1.1)(c)(viii), By-law 255-69, as amended by By-laws 508-84 and 874-2002
The maximum permitted height is 19.25 m on Part 4.
The podium will have a height of 32 m.
8. Section 2(1.1)(c)(viii), By-law 255-69, as amended by By-laws 508-84 and 874-2002
The maximum permitted height is 106.68 m on Part 5.
The building will have a height of 140.0 m, measured to the top of the mechanical penthouse.
9. Section 2(1.1)(c)(ix), By-law 255-69, as amended by By-laws 508-84 and 874-2002
A minimum of 1068 m² of common outdoor space shall be provided.
In this case, 780 m2 of common outdoor space will be provided.

To each their own regarding the design, I think it has a cool 50's/60's retro international style look. The massing is also reminiscent of New York's Lever House.

it's ok. I'll take it over the parking lot.

although, where the f@#$ am i supposed to park now

it's ok. I'll take it over the parking lot.

although, where the f@#$ am i supposed to park now

beside sobey's, big underground parking lot going in. And ps, I think I know which bank wants this site, it just so happens to be the one I work for.

beside sobey's, big underground parking lot going in. And ps, I think I know which bank wants this site, it just so happens to be the one I work for.

Yeah, it has been mentioned a couple pages back that it is RBC.

That makes sense to me, I'd heard from someone a couple of weeks ago that RBC was going to move all the offices they have on front st west into a building in this area.

NOTICE

This is to advise you that we are the contractor who will be building 85 Harbour Street in order to construct a 30-story office building (Waterpark Place-Phase III) fronting on Queens Quay West between Bay Street & York Street.

In order to facilitate tower crane erection and building construction, we have requested permission from the City of Toronto Transportation Services for the following sidewalk closures, from November 1, 2011 to October 21, 2014.

1. Queens Quay West north sidewalk between the west and east boundaries of 85 Harbour Street. Pedestrian traffic will be redirected at Bay-Queens Quay intersection & York-Queens Quay intersection to the south side of Queens Quay West.

2. Harbour Street South sidewalk pedestrian traffic will be closed at east and west sides of Waterpark Place-Phase III property line.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns, please contact:
Siva Nallaiah
Ellisdon Corporation
Project Manager

Last edited:
I still don't understand the complaints some have toward this building.

First, thousands of jobs that could have easily fled to the 905 are being kept in Toronto, while accommodating thousands more for future growth. Second, the design really isn't bad at all. It's an attractive box with good detail, a commanding street presence and 2-storey commercial animation all along a stretch of Queen's Quay that desperately needs it. Finally, does anyone want that horrid parking lot around any longer? Between that lot and the depressing Harbour Square buildings to the south, this tower will be a beacon.

Granted, it is better than a surface parking lot. And it is better than a lot of the buildings down there. But I think you can also recognize that we have a lot of "attractive boxes". I'm sure we are taking the building boom for granted, but we need to be careful not to fall into the "it's better than what's there/it's better than nothing" trap. This is how we got the Harbour Square, Westin Harbour Castle et al. We should always be pushing for better design, no matter how nice the building looks.

why am I not surprised... another Telus clone for this area. Somebody really needs to start thinking outside "the box" for office buildings in this city.

Back