Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Well that's productive. The "morons" or perhaps you meant tourists, won't be holding you up because of all door boarding unless you "moronically" wait at the front door with the other "morons".

Ideally, that sort of thing can be avoided by providing all the necessary information at the stop, as well as fares.

That's a rather idealistic view. My experience is that a certain segment of the population will always default to asking without looking first.

AoD

Sure, but we can still limit the operator's role to mainly driving, now that fare collection and transfer issuing have been eliminated from that role on the new streetcars. It should still be possible to ask the driver a basic question but it shouldn't be facilitated too much.

Well that's productive. The "morons" or perhaps you meant tourists, won't be holding you up because of all door boarding unless you "moronically" wait at the front door with the other "morons".

Nice try. In my experience, most tourists will ask for directions from other people on the street, if no one notices them looking at a map and asks them first... because they have better sense.

It's no tourist getting on the bus on Eglinton east. They are locals in their own little bubbles. Without fail they will always be at the head of the line and make sure they board first so they can play twenty questions with the driver.

They got up in the morning and knew they had to be at some location and crossed the threshold of their front door with only the vaguest notion of which direction to travel in.

If this forces them to plan their trip before hand, either by internet, paper map, or asking friends or bystanders, it's only a good thing.

Further institutionalization of the nanny state into our lives is not what we should be striving for especially if it means holding up 150 other people. 150 versus 1; majority rules. That's democracy.

Nice try. In my experience, most tourists will ask for directions from other people on the street, if no one notices them looking at a map and asks them first... because they have better sense.

It's no tourist getting on the bus on Eglinton east. They are locals in their own little bubbles. Without fail they will always be at the head of the line and make sure they board first so they can play twenty questions with the driver.

They got up in the morning and knew they had to be at some location and crossed the threshold of their front door with only the vaguest notion of which direction to travel in.

If this forces them to plan their trip before hand, either by internet, paper map, or asking friends or bystanders, it's only a good thing.

Further institutionalization of the nanny state into our lives is not what we should be striving for especially if it means holding up 150 other people. 150 versus 1; majority rules. That's democracy.

Overdramatic, much? I'm talking about Queens Quay aka the thread we're posting in with the new streetcars. Not buses on Eglinton. A place where it IS crawling with tourists. I just happened to get on at Union before I used this route otherwise I would have had my token ready and not known what the heck to do either and I've lived downtown for 12 years. It boils down to why aren't there places for tickets/tokens at the front doors where tourists load instead of somewhere near the back where the locals with POP load. It makes no sense. Its a simple thing and doesn't equate to your overly exaggerated "nanny state" comment. Smh. I forgot that everyone should be a knowledgeable Toronto transit nerd, even people who are visiting for the first time.

Overdramatic, much? I'm talking about Queens Quay aka the thread we're posting in with the new streetcars. Not buses on Eglinton. A place where it IS crawling with tourists. I just happened to get on at Union before I used this route otherwise I would have had my token ready and not known what the heck to do either and I've lived downtown for 12 years. It boils down to why aren't there places for tickets/tokens at the front doors where tourists load instead of somewhere near the back where the locals with POP load. It makes no sense. Its a simple thing and doesn't equate to your overly exaggerated "nanny state" comment. Smh. I forgot that everyone should be a knowledgeable Toronto transit nerd, even people who are visiting for the first time.
Busy stops have fare machines that you are supposed to use. Tokens and tickets will soon be eliminated and the vast majority of fares will be payed electronically. Every door has a reader.

This really isn't as big a deal as you're making it out to be. The solution isn't taking up more space by having a fare machine at the front. It's fully rolling out Presto and the LFLRVs.

Busy stops have fare machines that you are supposed to use. Tokens and tickets will soon be eliminated and the vast majority of fares will be payed electronically. Every door has a reader.

This really isn't as big a deal as you're making it out to be. The solution isn't taking up more space by having a fare machine at the front. It's fully rolling out Presto and the LFLRVs.

I've used the vending machine using a token (getting a receipt/transfer in return) on the island platform before I boarded the CLVR streetcar via the center doors.

Can anybody help me? This thread is a bit long to read..

I'm from Mississauga and will be cycling from port credit to Scarborough beaches on the waterfront trail. I'll have to pass through Queen's Quay. I recall there being really bad construction. Any status updates?

Can anybody help me? This thread is a bit long to read..

I'm from Mississauga and will be cycling from port credit to Scarborough beaches on the waterfront trail. I'll have to pass through Queen's Quay. I recall there being really bad construction. Any status updates?

It's all done! I've cycled the section from Stadium Rd to York St regularly in the past month and just this morning I went in the other direction from Sherbourne to York - the whole track/path is open.

It's all done! I've cycled the section from Stadium Rd to York St regularly in the past month and just this morning I went in the other direction from Sherbourne to York - the whole track/path is open.

Thanks! Sounds good. I'm really excited to cycle, although downtown streets scare me still lol :)

Thanks! Sounds good. I'm really excited to cycle, although downtown streets scare me still lol :)
You'll find it's a bit of a meandering route. I've never gone from Port Credit to Scarborough in one go, but I've done each direction independently. Between Port Credit and the waterfront, you'll find the link-up to Queen's Quay is great. Do note that there is a missing segment of the trail from first street which requires you to ride on the Queenway. The return to the trail is unmarked, so you might just have to join it later...traffic is light and the curb lane is wide.

The next confusing bit is at Cheery Street. You'll want to cross Cherry Street and then get back to the trail a bit further away from the water as it meanders around some long-unfinished construction. It's then decent again pretty much all the way through the beaches. Be prepared for lots of clueless pedestrians in the beaches. No one ever looks before walking right onto the trail. I'd tell you to skip it and ride on Queen, but it's such a scenic stretch.

After you pass the water treatment plant, keep an eye out for small signs indicating the route. There's a pretty rough segment on Kingston road by the large church. Traffic is so unaccustomed to bikes there, that I recommend just using the sidewalk if you're on your own...it's Scarborough, so there's never anyone walking on it. The ride down and climb up from the Bluffs is lots of fun.

You'll find it's a bit of a meandering route. I've never gone from Port Credit to Scarborough in one go, but I've done each direction independently. Between Port Credit and the waterfront, you'll find the link-up to Queen's Quay is great. Do note that there is a missing segment of the trail from first street which requires you to ride on the Queenway. The return to the trail is unmarked, so you might just have to join it later...traffic is light and the curb lane is wide.

The next confusing bit is at Cheery Street. You'll want to cross Cherry Street and then get back to the trail a bit further away from the water as it meanders around some long-unfinished construction. It's then decent again pretty much all the way through the beaches. Be prepared for lots of clueless pedestrians in the beaches. No one ever looks before walking right onto the trail. I'd tell you to skip it and ride on Queen, but it's such a scenic stretch.

After you pass the water treatment plant, keep an eye out for small signs indicating the route. There's a pretty rough segment on Kingston road by the large church. Traffic is so unaccustomed to bikes there, that I recommend just using the sidewalk if you're on your own...it's Scarborough, so there's never anyone walking on it. The ride down and climb up from the Bluffs is lots of fun.

I was planning on taking Cherry street to and taking Lake Shore on the way back. I noticed that there's a bike path on Lake Shore that links up with the Martin Goodman trail notth of cherry street... Its hard going off of Google maps lol

I was planning on taking Cherry street to and taking Lakeshore on the way back. I noticed that there's a bike path on lakeshore that links up with the Martin Goodman trail notth of cherry street... Its hard going off of Google maps lol
Yes; going east if you continue along Queen's Quay and follow the Martin Goodman further east than Parliament Street you will soon reach Cherry Street - you cycle (south) across the lift bridge. There is a sidewalk/bike track on west side of Cherry that moves to east side of Cherry at Commissioners Street (just before T & T). Follow this past Cherry Beach round to Unwin Street and then to Leslie. Go north on Leslie separated bike lane past the new Leslie Street TTC Barns to join up with Lake Shore track and go further east. On your return trip you can cycle on the north side of Lake Shore to the Don Roadway (cross Lakeshore by a - narrow - tunnel just west of Coxwell or cross at Leslie and just west of the Don Roadway you get onto the Don River trail. Go south-west for a short while, it will bring you back to the area of the Cherry Street lift bridge but you will be on north side of Lake Shore (or you can go slightly north where the track branches at Lake Shore to Cherry street, cross Cherry, ride on bike track on north side of rail berm to Parliament, cross Parliament and Queen's Quay and rejoin the Martin Goodman Trail there.
It's a long ride but quite safe - have fun!

Reactions: PL1

Back