Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Another day, another collision.

Service Alert:
509 Harbourfront route holding both ways at Queen?s Quay and Rees due to a collision blocking the roadway.

Last updated at 8:28 PM

I wonder if the cause of that was cars driving on the streetcar right of way. I know when I was down there on Sunday I saw a couple of cars do it and got a picture of some of them.

21754638952_d613478890_z_d.jpg

the black car in front was the first car to do it but pulled out quickly when he knew he was wrong. I saw another car drive down it for a bit as well.

Queens Quay Revitalization

SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION NOTICE
Line Painting Renewal and Remediation
September 30 to October 1

Crews are scheduled to adjust and renew existing line painting at various locations along Queens Quay between Bay Street and Spadina Avenue starting at 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 30 and continuing until 4:00 a.m. on Thursday, October 1.

Paid duty officers will be onsite during this period of time helping to direct pedestrian and vehicular traffic past working crews.

Every effort will be made to keep noise to a minimum. However, in certain areas, a compressor will be used to remove existing line painting. Compressors will be used for approximately 30 minutes at these locations.

Work involves:

• Pedestrian crosswalk and stop bar renewal at the intersection of Bay Street and Harbour Street
  • Changes to the pedestrian crosswalk on the east side of Rees Street at Queens Quay
  • Stop bar at the driveway to 410 Queens Quay
  • Skip lines on the TTC right-of-way at 401 Queens Quay
  • Accessibility crosswalk at the Rees Parking Lot

This work generates a significant amount of dust, which would impede pedestrian and TTC traffic. Because of this, it must be completed during off-peak hours, when traffic is lowest.

MORE INFO
Email info@waterfrontoronto.ca with questions or call the Queens Quay hotline 416-214-9990. For urgent and after hour construction issues, please contact Robert Pasut - Eastern Construction Community Liaison Officer at RPasut@easternconstruction.com or 416-505-3073.

I wonder if the cause of that was cars driving on the streetcar right of way. I know when I was down there on Sunday I saw a couple of cars do it and got a picture of some of them.

the black car in front was the first car to do it but pulled out quickly when he knew he was wrong. I saw another car drive down it for a bit as well.
I see that most of the times when I am down there. Some turn back onto the road at the location, some at the lights at Shoppers while others drive to the next light or 2.

Should paint a turning lane like bikes for traffic to show them their lanes are on the north side, not the normal south side with vehicles markings on it as well.

Time for you have your say on making changes

Join us as we give an update on the Queens Quay Revitalization project, including a summary of the public feedback we’ve received and the changes we’ve made on the new street.

Since the revitalized Queens Quay opened on June 19, it’s become a well-used street. The waterfront’s main boulevard has been rebalanced to give cyclists, pedestrians, transit and cars their fair share of the space. We’ve been observing how cyclists, drivers and pedestrians are using the new street. In addition to our own observations, we’ve collected public feedback through an online form, email and social media. At this community update meeting, we’ll present a report summarizing the public feedback we’ve collected, our own observations, and the adjustments we’ve made to reinforce some of the existing regulatory signs and signals on the new street. Members of the project team will also answer questions about the new street.

Public Meeting Details

Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2015
Time: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Brigantine Room at Harbourfront Centre (major intersection is Queens Quay West and Lower Simcoe Street)
Map: Click here.
Transit:Closest TTC subway station is Union Station. Take the 509 Harbourfront streetcar or the 510 Spadina streetcar to Harbourfront Centre. Walk west on the south side of Queens Quay to Harbourfront Centre at Lower Simcoe Street. Please use the TTC trip planner for additional options.
Parking: Paid parking is available underground at Harbourfront Centre (235 Queens Quay West) and above-ground one block west on Queens Quay West at Rees Street.
Accessibility: Wheelchair accessibility is at the main entrance. The new fully-accessible TTC streetcars are running on the 509 Harbourfront streetcar and the 510 Spadina lines. The closest Wheel-Trans pick-up and drop-off location is at Harbourfront Centre (235 Queens Quay West).

If you have specific accommodation requirements, please email info@waterfrontoronto.ca or call 416-214-1344 Extension 276.

One of the slides caught my eye:
upload_2015-10-6_9-57-40.png

That sign is supposed to indicate it's not for pedestrians? That's no my take-away. Heck, there's a walking man symbol on it. They need a big sign that says "NO PEDESTRIANS".

Could they make the 20 KM/H any smaller?

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-6_9-57-40.png
    upload_2015-10-6_9-57-40.png
    380.9 KB · Views: 674
That sign is supposed to indicate it's not for pedestrians? That's no my take-away. Heck, there's a walking man symbol on it. They need a big sign that says "NO PEDESTRIANS".

Could they make the 20 KM/H any smaller?

Well, the man on the left seems to be running away from the bike. The other one might be rollerblading, I can't tell. It needs to spell it out : run - bike - blade.

Everyone using QQW needs to do better. Drivers need to stop making illegal lefts/U-turns and driving on the ROW. Cyclists need to stop at their signals. Pedestrians need to look out and stop wandering onto the MGT and the ROW.

I think the streetcar drivers might be the only ones following all the rules ...

Some very interesting findings in the report from WF Toronto's observations:
  • 27% of vehicles made a left turn on a red light!!!
  • At the intersections where right turns are illegal, an average of 3 cars per hour made an illegal right.
  • A cyclist ran a red light on average once every 3 minutes (unclear if this is per intersection or over 8 intersections)
  • Pedestrians crossed illegally at an average of more than once per minute (again unclear if this is over 8 intersections)
  • Vehicles were observed driving on the ROW an average of once per hour. Also once per hour on the pedestrian promenade.
The first one stands out more than most. This clearly indicates a failure of design. At no other intersection in the city will one find close to 27% of vehicles turning illegally on a red light. Time to stop blaming drivers and fix that.

Well, the man on the left seems to be running away from the bike. The other one might be rollerblading, I can't tell. It needs to spell it out : run - bike - blade.
Definitely not clear. Might be running. Looks like same symbol of person walking to fire exit in fire, which isn't running. Nothing says can't walk. Honestly, looking at that sign,it would never cross my mind that pedestrians aren't supposed to be there.

And with a 20 km/hr speed limit, presumably most cyclists commuting should be on the road, rather than the trail. But there's not enough signage to indicate that.

Everyone using QQW needs to do better.
True - but that's never in itself going to be the answer. It has to be idiot-proof - particularly in a tourist area.

Definitely not clear. Might be running. Looks like same symbol of person walking to fire exit in fire, which isn't running. Nothing says can't walk. Honestly, looking at that sign,it would never cross my mind that pedestrians aren't supposed to be there.

And with a 20 km/hr speed limit, presumably most cyclists commuting should be on the road, rather than the trail. But there's not enough signage to indicate that.

One foot well off the ground is a standard indication of running.

high-safety-fire-exit-symbol-with-flames-right-sign-2931.png

(Even though evacuating a building should be done by walking).

As for commuting, some cyclists prefer the road there, but the eastbound side gets pretty narrow, plus there's the bit with the streetcars to contend with. During actual commuting hours, most cyclists are on the trail there and pedestrians are pretty sparse.

Last edited:
The first one stands out more than most. This clearly indicates a failure of design. At no other intersection in the city will one find close to 27% of vehicles turning illegally on a red light. Time to stop blaming drivers and fix that.

Mm-hmm. Must be an invisible hand reaching down and pushing those cars along. Either that or there's some mind-control equipment being deployed down there.

One foot well off the ground is a standard indication of running.
It can't be, because that's what the exit signs show, and everyone knows you always walk, not run.

During actual commuting hours, most cyclists are on the trail there and pedestrians are pretty sparse.
Are the cyclists obeying the 20 km/h speed limit?

It can't be, because that's what the exit signs show, and everyone knows you always walk, not run.

Are the cyclists obeying the 20 km/h speed limit?

Maybe it should be more overtly running?

stock-vector-racing-jogging-running-walking-vector-pictogram-illustrations-jpeg-file-has-clipping-path-104790083.jpg

As for the speed limit (is it legally set?), no - some are over it, some can't go that fast. There aren't really any inter-cyclist conflicts. Pedestrians are not really a problem since there's barely anyone walking even on the pedestrian strip at 8 am, and even though there are many more people around at 5 pm, they generally keep off the trail.

Back