Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I really don't see the problem at these intersections. Is this another example of why the majority of society needs to be kitted out with diapers and helmets?
Don't get me started on how straightforward the driving along here is either. What did I say last week about local drivers and Finland? ;)

Maybe they should paint on the TTC streetcar right of way TTC vehicles only like how on tram lines in England they have Tram only panted in section. Also something else just came to me about Grass on the Streetcar right of way maybe they were concerned people might walk on it or lie down on it so they stuck with concrete to avoid that.

Lie down on it?! I'm sorry but the streetcar ROW is clearly that...a bloody streetcar ROW. While I'm all for having it be grass because I'm a bit of a hippy, I honestly believe that anyone who has problems identifying it and its nature needs to be kept on a leash by their guardian....and that helmet.

(And of course cyclists shouldn't be running red lights. That's a whole other issue, IMO.)

That is the crux of the conflict that happened. The guy on the bike probably would have run the red on a street with a more conventional setup as well. He had a dedicated bicycle signal ahead of him that was red. Of course running it would put him in conflict with other road users.

Pedestrians can cross the track/mixed-use trail to get to the pedestrian crossing proper that is adjacent to the street/ROW regardless of what the bike signal is. But there is no substitute for looking where you are going!

I was biking around Spadina & QQW a few days ago and unfortunately the batteries in my camera were dead, otherwise I'd have footage of 2 cars in quick succession driving on the ROW, construction crews yelling at the drivers, etc. How is it that people are still not noticing/obeying the signs with the no-entry symbols and WRONG WAY on them? Oh, and another driving user the ROW as a spot to drop off a passenger.

That left from Spadina seems to be the biggest problem spot for drivers heading onto the ROW. I don't think I have witnessed a single light cycle where not a single car ends up on the ROW.

That left from Spadina seems to be the biggest problem spot for drivers heading onto the ROW. I don't think I have witnessed a single light cycle where not a single car ends up on the ROW.

Yeah. The first driver I saw doing it was driving alongside me and seemed to hesitate (maybe the fact that I rode across the ROW to get to the bike track threw him off?). Once he was on the ROW he kinda committed to being on it until he seemed to realize that's not where he should be - I think he finally got back on the road at Rees.

I wonder if there's a standard sign that says 'turn left here, now, not over there'.

Which sign says "Keep Left"?

TC14511-2.jpg
481px-Mandatory_road_sign_keep_left.svg.png

Answer, they both say "Keep Left". But which one would you actually obey?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't quite get "Keep Left" from "Discover pixabay FREE IMAGES NO HOTLINKING", so im gonna have to go with the first!

Seriously though, both. The sign on the left is a basic sign. Recognizing it is one of the first steps to getting your license in Ontario.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing -- it's weird though, it showed up in the email notification ... big blue circle with a white arrow. It didn't say "keep left" to me.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing -- it's weird though, it showed up in the email notification ... big blue circle with a white arrow. It didn't say "keep left" to me.

I see the first one more as 'move to the left of this obstacle' and the other one as the European 'stay on the left', but they both say 'be on this side' to me.

I replaced the second image with a working version.

I think the European one is more likely to be obeyed. It states a simple message: you need to be on the left side of this sign.

The North American one says... there's a median here. You need to swerve a bit to avoid hitting it.

Because the white arrow is pointing downwards, it makes me think there's something I should be looking for at ground level. Perhaps if the arrow was pointing straight to the left?

Back