Toronto Quay West at Tip Top | ?m | 23s | Mattamy Homes | a—A

from today
11282010106.jpg

They were finishing off balconies on the west side the other morning. Most balconies have been done for a while, but the external elevator is completely gone now so they were fixing up where it had been. On the ground level, some of the units have all of their appliances installed, others are still sitting in the middle of the room. Lots of landscaping has been done. It's really coming along.

Urban Toronto stopped by recently for a look at this beautifully done project.

QuayWestP1200375.jpg

QuayWestCourtyardJanpano.jpg

QuayWestP1200389.jpg

QuayWestP1200387.jpg

QuayWestP1200385.jpg

QuayWestP1200393.jpg

QuayWestSouthwestJanpano.jpg

Is this the same problem that has been plaguing other glass balconies lately?

QuayWestP1200390.jpg

QuayWestP1200391.jpg

A last look

QuayWestSoutheastJanpano.jpg

Last edited:
What a success this project has turned out to be! Reminds me of something that would be very at home in northern Europe.

I like the attention to detail, such as this:

QuayWestP1200389.jpg

Yes, very nicely done. Nice finishing touches and attention to detail, such as that cool-looking vent, the painted undersides of the balconies, and quality solid wood street furniture.

We need more attention to design when it comes to functional vents and grills. It's a design opportunity that isn't typically seized and a generic vent cover is installed. Even this building suffers from that on one side in the back, though the one in the photo with panels matching the cladding colour is definitely a step in the right direction. Also, in terms of public realm improvements, subway and garage ventilation grills present opportunities for unique design, though I don't believe I've seen this opportunity seized either in Toronto.

This building is looking pretty good. (better quality Video) [video=youtube;k-MsG0fHjNA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-MsG0fHjNA[/video]

Last edited:
the design of the exterior is nice.I toured one of the small units and it was so bland,typical shoe box design.If you have a unobstructed view this is a very nice addition to the waterfront but if your facing another unit its another uninteresting project.

13 April 2012: I hadn't been around this building in over 2 years. It disappoints--and certainly won't age well.

120lx.jpg

121ou.jpg

(The area could certainly be bulldozed--the neighbouring public housing buildings are showing their age, and with the city in financial difficulty, surely redevelopment is coming sooner rather than later?)

I cycle through here on the bike path in the summer, it all looked fine along there last September when I was last by.

Back