Toronto Portland Commons | 71.7m | 15s | Carttera | Sweeny &Co

Note a single lease ? Or anything subsational you mean ?
This build offers vary wide floor plates so I think that would be attractive to some tenants. But of course it's not in the "core" per se - probably need to consider lowering asking rents.
Nil.

Today, from City Place
1706569884515.jpg

Monday, January 29 - and finally a sunny day. A bit of a photo tour, focusing on areas of the Portland Commons building which are still under construction. But first an overview photo:

1000003260.jpg

The courtyard area in front of the Front Street entrance.

1000003252.jpg

The entranceway to the 510 Front Street Building, with a bridge linking the two wings of the new Portland Commons building:

1000003253.jpg

1000003254.jpg

The heritage 510 Front Street building, showing the new building overhanging the west side of the 510 Front Street building:

1000003255.jpg

External construction hoist - to come down in the April timeframe:

1000003256.jpg

Ground floor glazing in place along the Portland Street facade. Additional glazing sections stacked up on the sidewalk, waiting to be installed.

1000003257.jpg

1000003258.jpg

1000003259.jpg

Rooftop terrace floor tile sections, waiting for installation:
20240129_165825.jpg

Monday, January 29 - and finally a sunny day. A bit of a photo tour, focusing on areas of the Portland Commons building which are still under construction. But first an overview photo:

View attachment 536245

The courtyard area in front of the Front Street entrance.

View attachment 536244

The entranceway to the 510 Front Street Building, with a bridge linking the two wings of the new Portland Commons building:

View attachment 536247

View attachment 536248

The heritage 510 Front Street building, showing the new building overhanging the west side of the 510 Front Street building:

View attachment 536246

External construction hoist - to come down in the April timeframe:

View attachment 536250

Ground floor glazing in place along the Portland Street facade. Additional glazing sections stacked up on the sidewalk, waiting to be installed.

View attachment 536249
View attachment 536243

View attachment 536242

Rooftop terrace floor tile sections, waiting for installation:View attachment 536251
Thanks for the pics and the explanation. Integrating King Toronto, The Well, the heritage restaurant conversion on Wellington, and Portland Commons into the King West fabric will create a cool vibe for the neighbourhood, rivalling Yorkville and becoming the IT neighbourhood in downtown. The few blocks on King West will continue to become the food destination of the city with all the food markets and restaurant openings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and the explanation. Integrating King Toronto, The Well, the heritage restaurant conversion on Wellington, and Portland Commons into the King West fabric will create a cool vibe for the neighbourhood, rivalling Yorkville and becoming the IT neighbourhood in downtown. The few blocks on King West will continue to become the food destination of the city with all the food market and restaurant openings.
It should also create more north-south passageways between Spadina and Portland that have the potential of creating very interesting spaces.

Personally I love WFH, which I am sure is the catalyst for the lack of lease up here... but I was recently visiting fam in Switzerland and I asked how the post-covid office world is there, and they basically told me almost everyone is back to the offices. There was really no debate. It's just a different mentality, basically like, ok that's over, back to work everyone.

But also Swiss people can be very...what's the word...conservative and conformist. Aka, 'this is the way we have always done it, and therefore we won't be changing anything,'(European conservative, not like Donald Trump toxic conservative. Don't worry they all think he's still nuts.)

Again, just comparing for comparisons sake. I think our approach is actually better for the mental health and wellness of the population if I am being honest, but I have not had to work there so I don't know. I think pretty obviously office leasors will have trouble for a long time to come, or they will need to get really creative with their offered amenities.

Not sure about Swiss cities. Some European cities are thoroughly mixed use. The office may be just around the corner unlike here with dense office clusters employing hundreds of thousands in less than 1% of the urban area. I wouldn't consider work from home if I could walk or ride a bike a some kilometres to the same mixed human scaled neighbourhood for work. That Germanic area of Europe is very traditional too.

Not sure about Swiss cities. Some European cities are thoroughly mixed use. The office may be just around the corner unlike here with dense office clusters employing hundreds of thousands in less than 1% of the urban area. I wouldn't consider work from home if I could walk or ride a bike a some kilometres to the same mixed human scaled neighbourhood for work. That Germanic area of Europe is very traditional too.
When one's work space is just around the corner or down the lane, I can see why working in an office is much more convenient and less stressed. So naturally this becomes less of an issue for those folks...unlike here, where it seems to be rigmarole and ritual passage just to show up to it.

So yeah, I agree...creating a proactive conveniences where folks want to show up to a 9 to 5 is key getting them back into a work space. As that also includes better wages, healthier work environments and access to collective bargaining rights, IMO.

Back