Toronto Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning | ?m | 21s | Sick Kids | Diamond Schmitt

I generally like this building, but I do think its heft feels a bit overwhelming when you're actually walking by it. I can see the logic of putting in the curved windows to break up the eastern facade. Hopefully, once those windows are installed and the construction hording is taken down, the building will become softer at street level.

Looks like another right-angled block with whitish/green glass frosting and tacky curvy windows to give it some 'depth'.

I'll admit I don't have the architectural knowledge some of you do, but why don't you explain in architectural terms why this white block is somehow architecturally and aesthetically pleasing.

Question

Looks like another right-angled block with whitish/green glass frosting and tacky curvy windows to give it some 'depth'.

I'll admit I don't have the architectural knowledge some of you do, but why don't you explain in architectural terms why this white block is somehow architecturally and aesthetically pleasing.

Have you been downtown to see this building in person?
At present the curved glass is not yet installed, so how can you form an opinion on it?
I will give you my opinion of the building formed from what I see on site, in context.
I work on Bay St and given that the majority of tall buildings along this city canyon are badly detailed, dull and grey, this building stands out as bright and colorful. It may not be slender and super tall, but the curtain wall is slickly put together with real 'depth' in the complex, but subtle coloration behind the white frit.
To these eyes the overall impression is a fresh one, unlike any I have seen in Toronto.

I cannot comment on the 'tacky' curved glass, as I have not laid eyes upon it, but the curved concrete forms do provide animation and articulation to a very large street facade. They seem to have strung up some cables this week, which will no doubt hold the glass, which may be similar to the structure on the glass box of the opera. Some other posters may be able to comment with more specific info on this system.
But to answer your question, my non-architectural take on this is, it is a quality project, which enhances the city context, while thus far demonstrating a high level of design and construction. The colors look great and the curved glass has never been done like this anywhere else in Toronto, perhaps even Canada.

But to answer your question, my non-architectural take on this is, it is a quality project, which enhances the city context, while thus far demonstrating a high level of design and construction. The colors look great and the curved glass has never been done like this anywhere else in Toronto, perhaps even Canada.

I agree. I think this is a quality project and original primarily because anyone of the usual array of greedy, money-grubbing private developers isn't involved. They are only interested in maximizing profits - not in building quality projects that enhance the city. Now, I am not blaming developers entirely - the city afterall, allows them to build these mediocre projects, and the general public says nothing against them, and buyers keep buying these shoe-box sized, cheaply built units, so that's why we get these derivative, grey buildings. So it is nice every once in a while to see something of quality being built such as this project and MaRS.

26 March 2012--Mech PH under way/topping out?

044wbn.jpg

Only saw this in person for the first time today, and this is one impressive structure. It's totally changed the feel of that area of Bay Street, for the better in my opinion. It's also interesting to see a structure with such a wide base, after seeing so many slender point towers going up. The glass is very pleasing to the eye. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Excellent update! I can't wait the curved glass installed, should be a really gorgeous feature to this overall fantastic building. Also looks great in the skyline context, the frosted blue/green is refreshing among the sea of grey buildings.

Excellent update! I can't wait the curved glass installed, should be a really gorgeous feature to this overall fantastic building. Also looks great in the skyline context, the frosted blue/green is refreshing among the sea of grey buildings.

Agreed.

Back