News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

^And lots of bus routes I'm sure.

Yes of course the way the airlines and airport authorities make their plans is influenced by government policy, which makes total sense. No government has committed to high speed rail to Montreal so airport plans will continue to be based on its absence. Of course, airport development plans are being updated all the time and would no doubt be updated to respond to any significant investment into rail. They're already responding to all the transit expansion in the GTA by building a multimodal transit terminal, as rbt mentioned.

I was curious about how our corridor compares with others so I did some browsing. Pearson is the 15th busiest airport in the world based on number of flights. Wikipedia also has a table showing busiest city pairs based on number of flights. Although Toronto isn't there, the table appears to be wildly incomplete (not entirely surprising on Wikipedia). The source is quicktrip.com and it seems like someone just entered a bunch of city pairs and put the data into Wikipedia. Here's what I found for number of flights tomorrow on some key routes.

Sao Paulo-Rio: 276
Sydney-Melbourne: 188
New York-Chicago: 176
Toronto-Montreal: 110
Shanghai-Beijing: 104
London-Edinburgh: 94 (planning high speed rail)
Toronto-Ottawa: 80
Madrid-Barcelona: 50

You can't really draw a whole lot of conclusions from that obviously, but the Toronto-Montreal route has more planes in the air than you might think.

True but you can travel between Madrid and Barcelona in 3 hours and Shanghai and Beijing in 4.5 hours by high speed train. Of course fewer people fly.

True but you can travel between Madrid and Barcelona in 3 hours and Shanghai and Beijing in 4.5 hours by high speed train. Of course fewer people fly.

Madrid to Barcelona is 2.5 hrs in many cases by HSR. And there's still 50 flights a day. Nor has all international traffic become centred in Madrid or Barcelona. That's why I see discussion of HSR with regards to airport expansion as a red herring. HSR hasn't necessarily forestalled airport expansion in most cases. Simply opened up capacity for other services.

I don't see why anything here would be different. Ottawa and Montreal will still have the limited international services that they have because nobody really wants to connect (air or rail) if possible to avoid a connection. And airlines get higher yields with direct flights.

HSR would help improve connectivity from smaller Ontario centres (London, Kingston and Kitchener-Waterloo) to Pearson. Airlines would undoubtedly be happy for that since the rail frequencies would be higher than air. For Ottawa and Montreal? Other than Porter, I just can't see much reduction in frequencies. Just smaller aircraft.

Yes, my point exactly.

Madrid to Barcelona is 2.5 hrs in many cases by HSR. And there's still 50 flights a day. Nor has all international traffic become centred in Madrid or Barcelona. That's why I see discussion of HSR with regards to airport expansion as a red herring. HSR hasn't necessarily forestalled airport expansion in most cases. Simply opened up capacity for other services.

I don't see why anything here would be different. Ottawa and Montreal will still have the limited international services that they have because nobody really wants to connect (air or rail) if possible to avoid a connection. And airlines get higher yields with direct flights.

HSR would help improve connectivity from smaller Ontario centres (London, Kingston and Kitchener-Waterloo) to Pearson. Airlines would undoubtedly be happy for that since the rail frequencies would be higher than air. For Ottawa and Montreal? Other than Porter, I just can't see much reduction in frequencies. Just smaller aircraft.
I counted 44 flights, but either way it's a pretty huge reduction. There used to be around 140 flights a day (971 weekly according to the Wikipedia article). They didn't just switch to smaller aircraft as you keep arguing, they eliminated most of the flights altogether. And the AVE line doesn't even stop at Madrid's airport. Like you say, it wouldn't be any different here. We'd likely see the number of flights drop by a similar proportion, especially with a station at Pearson.

Pearson T2.png
I'd say a new T2 that is the multi-modal terminal at the end of what will become the last piers of T1. Allows ramp access for buses too. (fixed the typo)

Attachments

• Pearson T2.png
    Pearson T2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 773
Last edited:
Pearson Airport has released a video, proposing extending the Eglinton, Finch, and Hurontario lines, all to the airport - https://twitter.com/TorontoPearson/status/689520706778963968 - an Union Station West.

That might be a better solution - connecting the Hurontario LRT to Malton GO station instead of Brampton GO station!

upload_2016-1-19_17-33-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-19_17-33-0.png
    upload_2016-1-19_17-33-0.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 634
Why does the western part go all the way to Kennedy Station? Where is the eastern part?
I think you are overthinking this ...

In it's presentation today, the city christened the piece of the Eglinton line from Mount Dennis to Renforth as "Crosstown West".

Presumably they simply updated the text on an existing graphic, ignoring that it's all the same colour (as it will surely be on the subway map in 2031).

I was just pointing out the error in their map.
As I explained above, I don't think it's an error. The piece from Mount Dennis to the Airport was named the "Crosstown West" by the city today. Kudos to the GTAA for turning around a presentation so quickly!

Back