News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 943     1 

Toronto Party Transportation Plan

The only things that make any sense in this era are some of the proposed arterial road connections. The lack of access from Weston/Wilson/Albion to Islington/Rexdale is one gap that would make sense to close, perhaps even the Keele Street jog removal or the reconnection of Dawes Road across the former CN East Toronto yard. But that's about it.

I mentioned this in the Rossi thread, but fixing the 400 south ramp to the 401 west would be the best way to relieve traffic from that corridor.

Other backlogs in Toronto which need addressing include the southbound 404 over the 401, and various transfer points between the express and collectors on the 401.

I would also consider removing some stops from either the Eglinton or Sheppard line to improve speeds for crosstown commutes, as well as make transit more competitive against highways during off-peak periods.

I agree with Graphic Matt. Look at the vehicle that is proposed to replace the streetcars: Phileas Trolleybuses. I'll bet those will cost at least 1.5-2 million a piece. Propose some fancy, and expensive transit dream, and build roads instead after determining the transit part is simply to expensive.

Last edited:
The Transit Plan is beautiful!! I wish we had that system.

As for the new highways cutting across the city, you've got to be kidding!

The Transit Plan is beautiful!! I wish we had that system.

As for the new highways cutting across the city, you've got to be kidding!

A highway of course would be silly (but you have to picture the year of the plan), an expressway/arterial road across the city though would still be doable, but with the development of Toronto decades after the original proposal it would not be practical.

However, resuming the original idea of extending the Allen down to the Gardener, and being the DVP West, I think is still a good idea.

As much as we need a better transit system we also need access at more points of the city for commuters, as an example.

I have to admit, the bridge thing and Highway 448 look really appealing.
I may have said it before, but I stand by the fact that the bridge/viaduct would be far, far better out in Humber Bay, if and when that area gets developed further (I give it 20 or 30 years to be a big line of residential towers.) You could viaduct the Gardiner/rail line from about Roncesvales or Parkside to Park Lawn road, making the whole Humber Bay area much more accesible to the surrounding community, as well as High Park. Maybe not a huge priority now, but a much better use of the bridge idea than putting it through downtown.

I may have said it before, but I stand by the fact that the bridge/viaduct would be far, far better out in Humber Bay, if and when that area gets developed further (I give it 20 or 30 years to be a big line of residential towers.) You could viaduct the Gardiner/rail line from about Roncesvales or Parkside to Park Lawn road, making the whole Humber Bay area much more accesible to the surrounding community, as well as High Park. Maybe not a huge priority now, but a much better use of the bridge idea than putting it through downtown.

It woulld look awesome over the river!

Not a fan of the 448?

+1

I've always thought the same. A nice architecturally interesting bridge (like the new one in Boston) right from the parklawn area to just before the EX and take all those nasty cars out of people's backyards.

We do not need more highways. We do need more and better public transit. We need more heavy rail subways. We need more light rail subways. We need more light rail. We need more streetcars. We need more buses. We need timed transfers. We need more frequent headways. We need better public transit in the 416 and in the 905.

The Toronto Party Transportation Plan contains no mention of platform screen doors.

That the world is round has been widely known since at least the time of the Ancient Greeks.

The transit plan shown in the original post is great, but it would only make sense if Toronto had the density of Manhattan, London or Tokyo. If we are contemplating rebuilding all the stable lower density neighbourhoods, like the Annex and Riverdale, with high-rise towers then this plan makes sense. If we want to retain the City’s existing character then a much more modest plan is needed.

Back