Toronto Parliament Street Data Centre | ?m | 5s | BRL Realty | WZMH

WZMH designed the CN Tower, among other landmark structures...so maybe this data centre will become iconic :p

But seriously, it does look like an interesting commercial building...although my gut feeling (because I don't know anything about data centres) is that not a lot of people will be working here and it will just primarily house hi-technology...but I may be wrong about staffing levels...(feel free to enlighten me).

At the very least...this is a great thing for the City in that we saved the First Parliament site...and can look forward to a new Library/Car Wash/War of 1812 Museum across the street :cool:

Design wise definitely something distinct and unexpected. Reminds me of TV noise actually. Though if the cladding material is quality then it should provide interesting texture to the area's urban fabric.

Some larger images from WZMH's website http://www.wzmh.com/projects/43a-parliament-street/?cat=high-technology:

43AParliamentStreet1-1024x480.jpg

43AParliamentStreet2-1024x480.jpg

It's a real mistake to not include some ground level retail here, in my opinion. People will be taking the streetcar, getting off at Parliament and walking down to the Distillery here (and then walking back up Parliament to King).

Greenleaf:

Data centres are probably sensitive to the presence of other uses, whcih will cause complications with secure access, reliability and life safety.

AoD

It's going to create a dead zone on Parliament Street, right at what's to become a very prominent area, across from The First Parliament site. This should have been lined with retail or at least animated in some way. A big, dead box on Parliament Street, just doesn't cut it. With the smallest effort, this could have been much more pedestrian friendly. It makes me worry about what they are going to build across the street. This is not what I envisioned for this area.

That looks amazing! I also wish there was some ground level retail to service the community. It's already so short, I would happily grant them an extra floor or two if that's what they need to make it happen.

They could have sidewalk facing commercial units at the bottom that aren't connected to the data centre lobby at all so security isn't an issue. Look at 151 Front St W with East Side Mario's restaurant on the northwest corner.

Last edited:
They do say on the WZMH website that there will be "tenant offices on the ground level", so at least there will be some interaction with the street.

It's going to create a dead zone on Parliament Street, right at what's to become a very prominent area, across from The First Parliament site. This should have been lined with retail or at least animated in some way. A big, dead box on Parliament Street, just doesn't cut it. With the smallest effort, this could have been much more pedestrian friendly. It makes me worry about what they are going to build across the street. This is not what I envisioned for this area.

Whie I tend to agree that the data centre could offer far more to the street, it is incorrect to say It makes me worry about what they are going to build across the street.
There are two "they's" involved; the data center "they"is the (new) private owner of the data-centre block - they had a right to build 5-storey building and no need for permission. In fact the Design Review panel was, generally, quite supportive of it. The First Parliament site now belongs to the City and will (in part) house the St Lawrence Library - Pam McConnell is talking of a competition to design it and plan the whole site.

By the way, I see the Toronto Public Library sorting facility in the corner of Front and Parliament is still there in the rendering. Wasn't that moving somewhere else to make room for this? Will they be keeping it or reusing it for the data processing centre?

By the way, I see the Toronto Public Library sorting facility in the corner of Front and Parliament is still there in the rendering. Wasn't that moving somewhere else to make room for this? Will they be keeping it or reusing it for the data processing centre?
The TPL now lease that building (a section at the rear WAS demolished) but only for about a year , then their new centre in Scarborough wil be ready. Then I bet the building will be demolished and a condo built on that part of the site. I do not think there are plans to extend the datacentre.

Yeah, I think residential was the original intended use for the site according to the West Don Lands precinct plan, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up building a condo there. Thanks for the info!

I apologize for being off topic, but does anyone know why the Porsche dealership moved across the street again? Seems a little odd.

Back