Toronto Parliament Street Data Centre | ?m | 5s | BRL Realty | WZMH

The linear park you refer to will definitely happen - it's designated as such under the approved precinct plan for the West Don Lands. However, timing is unknown. Ideally, it should come about at the same time that the First Parliament site is developed, and the timing of that project is at least 4 to 5 years from now, perhaps longer. The other complicating factor is that the Mill Street linear park site is encumbered by a 20 year land lease from the Province in favour of Chrysler. No one seems to know when that lease expires, and if Chrysler has any renewal options.

The linear park you refer to will definitely happen - it's designated as such under the approved precinct plan for the West Don Lands. However, timing is unknown. Ideally, it should come about at the same time that the First Parliament site is developed, and the timing of that project is at least 4 to 5 years from now, perhaps longer. The other complicating factor is that the Mill Street linear park site is encumbered by a 20 year land lease from the Province in favour of Chrysler. No one seems to know when that lease expires, and if Chrysler has any renewal options.

Ah, I was afraid of that. Been hearing about the First Parliament redevelopment since I moved to the area in 2003 and have little hope of seeing it happen soon. The car dealerships are a plague in this area, they really diminish all the other good development that's been done with the West Donlands and Distillery. Nothing like walking past a miles of identical parked cars in dingy lots to kill the vibe of the area. It surprises me that they want to continue to operate in the area and not move further afield, to be honest, where land is cheaper and car access is easier.

This summer the City will be rebuilding Mill Street, after laying a new water main. There are plans for a far wider north sidewalk, trees etc. They may at least widen that short bit of sidewalk on Parliament just north of Mill.

The environmental surveys of First Parliament were finished in December and a master plan for the site will be developed in 2016. Library detailed planning is planned to start in late 2016.

This summer the City will be rebuilding Mill Street, after laying a new water main. There are plans for a far wider north sidewalk, trees etc. They may at least widen that short bit of sidewalk on Parliament just north of Mill.

The environmental surveys of First Parliament were finished in December and a master plan for the site will be developed in 2016. Library detailed planning is planned to start in late 2016.

Oh, that's heartening news, thanks. All the trees on the Mill St south side died (again) so it would be nice to see that street completely re-done. The asphalt currently serving as a sidewalk on the north side isn't much of a welcome for the hordes of tourists that visit the Distillery.

I'd love for the city to pave Mill Street with real bricks or stone pavers. The Distillery District is remarkable, but the contrast couldn't be greater between its charming lanes and the ugly concrete and asphalt streets to the north and west of the district. (It should be noted that the city did a great job with the streets of the nearby Lower Don Lands.)

Burying the overhead wires would be wise as well. The area is shaping up to be a great neighbourhood and tourism district.

28497929441_41a67086d8_h.jpg

It's a really gorgeous building. I love how the panels both reflect the digital nature of the building's function, but also echo the red brick of the Distillery District. It really is a thoughtful design.

It is probably too early to start a new thread but this is clearly the first sign of redevelopment of the northern part of the Data Centre site. At one time they were discussing a condo tower but ...

Building Application Status
clear.gif

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 4L2

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 16 227471 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Sep 23, 2016

Project: Library Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish existing 3 storey building " Toronto Public Library Service Centre"

DM Zoning Review Not Started
Zone - Other Dvernichuk, Garrett

Better than a surface lot but, I actually do find it offensive. I just hate that era and I really can't rationalize why I do. i'm not a fan of true PoMo either which this bare bones design gets its inspiration.

I thought the library building were part of the land swap that secured the First Parliament site? Regardless, interested to see what pops up here.

Back