Toronto Parade at Concord CityPlace | 127.4m | 44s | Concord Adex | P + S / IBI

Cityplace has kinda run out of steam. The only thing worthy of anticipation is how high the last tower will be.

Cityplace has kinda run out of steam. The only thing worthy of anticipation is how high the last tower will be.

There are many on this board who do not really care about height. I am more interested in how these buildings look as street level and whether they will improve on the retail/street interaction that appears to be so poorly executed with Harbour Estates and Spadina.

Let's not lose sight of how much better this city would have been if Cityplace had never happened. I'm all for large pointy objects, but the place is a write-off. It could have been a neighborhood.

(Or maybe it could have been. Let's see if they botch the West Donlands.)

There are many on this board who do not really care about height. I am more interested in how these buildings look as street level and whether they will improve on the retail/street interaction that appears to be so poorly executed with Harbour Estates and Spadina.

You're right, of course, but I somewhat agree with Hydrogen re the height of Signature. In this particular case, size does matter, as far as the overall balanced sculptural aesthetic of the skyline goes, especially as seen from the lake. Signature is perhaps the best (only?) opportunity over the relatively near future to truly boldly expand the skyline to the west - the taller the better here for that 'significant' reason alone. If they fizzle on the height, the entire CityPlace project will be the lesser for it, and we'll be cheated out of a possibly incomparable skyline-enhancing chance. Fingers crossed...

I'd like to see something the calibre of some of the better contenders in the Absolute competition end up as the new Signature tower. I like Vancouver architect Peter Busby's stuff, but the only rendering I have seen so far of that plan was underwhelming. I want to be blown away by that one.

I am looking forward to what KPF has come up with for Parade. It may not include impressively large towers, but we'll see what they do with them.

It will be nice to see how that park turns out as well, more parkland is always welcome.

Especially a park that seems like it has been programmed quite well from what I've seen.

I don't think City Place has been a disaster. I just wish the buildings had better streetfronts and that some of the buildings were much taller.

There are many on this board who do not really care about height.

Beyond Signature I am not really concerned about height, either. My point is that so far, the whole project seems a little drab as an emerging neighbourhood. Maybe that will change with later developments, but as of now the street life leaves much to be desired.

I somewhat doubt Busby will be retained for Signature - I'm leaning more towards a Libeskind type

^^'starchitect' is what I ment by the Libeskind reference (not that I'm even a fan of any of the starchitects out there)

I'm not a huge fan of them either, but at Cityplace a different hand could help break up the monotony

Back